ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Super interesting to know there is an option for that! But given what you just explained and what I want to do with it, I should be fine with a 3600X. I really just intended to use it as a Firewall initially but that is a lot of power for just a 3600X. Thanks for all the info. Really appreciated it.

Yeah, mine works great. Hereā€™s some shots, I edited out some bits just FYI, but with CPU pinning I can isolate anything I need to try and control.

That is really nice. Thanks for the shots. This really gives me a good ideas as to what I can do with a 3600X while I plan for the future. This is just my first step into the server world, something I wanted to have for a long time. Eventually want to have a TrueNAS system hosted in Proxmox where I will have my VMs and NAS. That, of course, will need a much better CPU (3950X) and ECC RAM. At which point I guess Iā€™ll just have a very powerful CPU (3600X) for the firewall ;-).

Just thinking out loud, as I use a 3950X for my desktop.

If you want to build a server, and are already budgeting for a ~$600 CPU, you might be better off looking at a Xeon or EPYC based system. On those platforms, you will get a true server motherboard and features. These AsRock boards are nice, but the reality is they are not full fledged server boards, and they lack some features of a true desktop board, itā€™s somewhere in the middle. So, if you wanted to build a ā€œbudgetā€ system, these boards are great coupled with a nice CPU. But if you are already budgeting upwards of $800 +, just go all in :slight_smile:

You bring a valid point and that is also something I was considering. If I wait a little longer, eventually the price will drop. I am not in a hurry. Something like a AMD MD EPYC 16C Model 7282 SP3 120W 3200MHZ would be perfect for a PROXMOX, TrueNAS and VMS server. And that is the idea long run to have 8 disks for the NAS and 4 DISKS for VMs inside Proxmox using something like a Rosewill RSV-L4312 case.

The 7282 is also very close in price to the 3950X. The only thing that is more expensive would be a SP3 motherboard which sites at a price of around 450$ (cheapest I have seen).

For the short term, what I really wanted was a 8 cores CPU (3700X) using the NH-9Lx65 in a RSV-Z2700 case. But given what I read so far about that cooler being inadequate and the RSV-Z2700 case only sporting 2 x 80 mm fans at the front, 2 x 3 TB drives for VMs using Proxmox ZFS to create a RAID 10 config on which I will install my firewall and other stuff.

It may be a little too cramped. So Iā€™m not sure anymore if I should consider that case, got with a 3U which would allow a better tower cooler or just downgrade to a 3600X which would mean slightly less horse power.

Itā€™s really only slightly less horsepower in the amount of cores. Unless you are running the CPU all out all the time, the SMT of the chip and sharing pooled CPU cycles would probably in reality be fine, I know for me itā€™s working good. So unless you really need the 8c/16t vs 6c/12t it might just be a wiser choice to get the smaller CPU. At least that way you donā€™t have to retrofit everything else for your build to get there. OR, try the water cooler and a 3700X, I am sure it will tame it (albeit a bit loud). I bought mine directly through Dynatron (I used the contact us link on their site, and they promptly replied with a quote and order form), and the pricing was cheaper than what you find it for on eBay and Amazon, surprisingly AND you can but the AM4 bracket at the same time. (Or you can buy one of mine, I bought two and they are still sitting in their boxes as I sold off the 3700X before they even arrived).

You got options, just need to make sure you are building for your requirements :slight_smile:

Well I think I found a cooler that may solve the problem with the 3700X overheating which has slightly better performance and enough clearance for the RAM. Just thought I would let you know just in case :
be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, BK002, 130W TDP, CPU Cooler

I just used the stock cooler on my 3700xā€¦ but I probably dont have the same ram as you

1 Like

Unfortunately I no longer have the Wraith, used it on another system. I have a 3300X cooler but that one really is too large and covers the last ram slot. I only use low profile RAM. According to the schematics and videos I have seen, the ā€˜be quietā€™ low profile cooler should fit and stands at 76 mm of height which fits in a 2U case.

Has anyone successfully run GPU passthru on this board? Or are we waiting for an updated bios?

Iā€™ve just tried with a 2700, bios 3.30 and proxmox. No luck.

Ive heard the v3.33 fixes the passthru issuesā€¦ im still on v3.30 so I dont know first hand.

Based on some of the comments above it seems buggy. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worked at all on any configurations.

U wanted to use 1U but dug a hole in the middle for the fan which requires at least an additional 1U gaping for airflow.

I donā€™t see how that gonna save you extra when your provider will stack another unit on top of your servers and totally almost block the fan intake.

Yup 3.30 is broken
Iā€™m running beta 3.35 and gpu passthrough works in kvm and esxi

Do you see any difference with 3.33 ?

I had some instablility with 3.33 and also with 3.35 under fedora/centosā€¦
But esxi(vsphere) has been rock solid.

Is 3.35 for the -2T version of the board only or the regular X470D4U?

regular X470D4U

Is there any context from ASRock Rackā€™s support what stuff L3.35 should address?