ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Hey guys,

I’m having some weird issues with this board that I was hoping you could help me figure out. I didn’t notice anyone with this exact issue but apologies if it’s already been mentioned.

To make a long story short I don’t think I can get to BIOS and my machine isnt POSTing.

The computer will automatically start itself if it’s plugged into power. If the computer is off and I plug in the PSU and turn the PSU on. The BMC light will be solid, then after about 10 seconds there is a click, the BMC heart beat starts and the machine starts to power up . Once it starts booting I can’t power it off by holding the power button or anything, I have to switch off the PSU.

I’ve connected a monitor over VGA and spammed Delete during this whole process, but can’t seem to access BIOS.

I am able to look at the machine over IPMI…kind of. I can log in and see the dashboard, but my MB model and BIOS version are blank. There are no alerts, some system sensors/fan data. when I go to system inventory I see, “System information will be refreshed when the system POST, please restart the system if you see nothing on screen.”

I can’t KVM into the machine, either JAVA of web, and I have no power control over the machine over IPMI. I can’t turn on or off the machine over IPMI, but if I try the KVM I can see the correct server power status on the top right. If I manually turn off the server when on IPMI I see the power switch go RED before I lose connection.

I was able to update to the most recent BMC version (1.9) but I can’t remote flash the BIOS. I am able to upload the file and get it to the point where it says, “preparing to flash bios” but it just hangs on processing. I think it’s because the IPMI can’t power on or off the computer.

I’m going to probably take it all apart tonight and reconnect every component, but curious if there’s anything you all can think of with this.

Thanks!!

Did it stop posting or it never posted since purchase?

Quite normal - there is a BIOS option for this behavior

how does Dr.Debug look? (the boot codes)
I don’t really know what you mean by a click. I don’t have anything like it.
About the BMC light: yup, first few seconds solid, then pulsing - sounds normal to me

Bad BIOS flash? Try flashing through IPMI again, but using a clean browser without any addons/adblockers. And be patient.

If the BIOS is busted then KVM won’t have much to show.

This is concerning, this should work even without functioning BIOS. Did it work in the past?

I had similar issues, and your suspicious aligns with my experience a a little. I once tried updating the BIOS through the IPMI while the machine was ON. Make sure it is OFF when flashing.

But since holding the power button doesn’t work then I have only one sugestion: Disconnect any and all front panel connectors for powier/reset/LEDs and use a screwdriver to short pins.
I once had a similar, very frustrating problem with a PC that was boot looping. It was a broken power button in a chassis.

Additional question: What components? CPU/RAM/PCIe cards/Drives

Edit:
2 more things:

• Try resetting the CMOS - instruction in the manual
  • Make sure there are no misaligned standoffs or stray screws shorting anything on the back of the board

No, it’s never worked. This is a new comp so all components are new.

No boot codes come up, the display on the MB doesn’t light up or anything. The BMC and power ready green LEDs are one though, which I think is normal.

I let it run for like an hour and a half last night. I think the issue is since I can’t turn the machine power on or off (request times out) the IPMI can’t shut down the computer to flash the BIOS. I can’t try to flash the BIOS with the machine off because it will auto start if it’s connected to the PSU.

As far as I understand it, it is working. The cable is connected into the IPMI port, and then hits my router. I’ve been controlling it from my PC also hard wired into the router. I was able to update the BMC today to the current version, so I think it’s hopefully at least connected right. I have admittedly not heard of IPMI until I bought this board haha.

After work today I’m planning on resetting the CMOS and trying to mess with ram variations to see if it will boot. If it doesn’t work I’ll just have to take it apart and reseat everything and go from there.

Comp parts are…
PSU - EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 80+ Gold
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX SDRAM DDR4 3000
Case - Fractal Design 804
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MB - AsROck Rack x470d4u
NAS Storage - 2x 6gb WD RED
SSD/Cache - Kingston 240gb SSD

I meant the power control over IPMI.

If it were DDR fault you would most likely see it boot-loop a few times while cycling error codes. My current bet is shorted power/reset button, or just incorrectly connected front panel.

Nope, power over IPMI has never worked.

Hopefully it’s something silly like the power button being connected wrong.

Hopefully.

One more comment about:

1st gen isn’t on the supported CPU list but STH posted an article with tests including 1600 (non AF). So it shouldn’t be an issue: https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600-af-review-a-wildcard-option/2/

Also: X470D4U review on STH is finally up: https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-x470d4u-review-amd-ryzen-meet-server/

Has anyone been able to get AMD-RAID w/ the two nvme slots to work when installing Centos/Redhat 8? It simply just shows both NVME disks, but not the amdraid I created in the bios.

Thanks

In my thread with the Intel P4500 NVMe issues @wendell mentions that there is no Linux driver support for an AMD NVMe RAID array so you’ll probably have to use general software RAID solutions from the intended distributions to get there.

Was way off, only got an 8.9

The review is not really touching the various bugs of the motherboard so I’ll guess we’ll see a few new users here soon :wink:

2 Likes

OP raises from the grave

Ugh… wha… STH finally reviewed this? Cool.

reads review

Well that was a useless waste of time…

For the moment, until more widespread support materializes for the Ryzen platform, our recommendation for the X470D4U will come with a huge caveat; we like the platform, but you will have to test it for yourself to make sure the platform works for your organization (or you if this is a lab environment) and your particular set of applications.

They should have just hotlinked this thread and called it a day.

1 Like

Hi @Discipulus96, can u send me beta bios for x470d4u please .

I can confirm that flashing beta bios 3.33 (agesa 1.0.0.4) to x470d4u solves “GPU passthrough issue”.
On 3.30 bios there was an error “unable to power on device. stuck in D3”

2 Likes

If you have this bios version available I would also love to grab a link (does not look like I can DM).

Planning to add a graphics card and hear there are lots of issues on older versions with passthrough :frowning:

Does anybody know why ASRock Rack hasn’t released the final version of L3.33 after months and months of waiting (file date Feburary 7th, 2020)?

I haven’t encountered (new) bugs and AGESA 1004 fixes quite a few things…?

1 Like

I suspect by that you mean COVID-19 but as far as I know ASRock Rack’s BIOS engineers are located in Taiwan and that’s a place that has been handling the crisis quite well…?

Or do you mean they just don’t give a ff about this model and they’d welcome it if all customers of it would die off of it so they can put it EOL…? /s

Easy answer, because it’s Asrock.
They are generally pretty slow at releasing bios updates.
And yeah their biosses aren’t really the greatest to begin with.

Hello,

I am interested in this mobo. Can anyone tell me if this mobo is going to wok with win7? x470 has support for win7.

No, theres no support for 7. Also no reason to continue using 7.

Are you certain? x470 mobos can run win7, what’s different here? As for the “reason” it’s quite objective and personal.

The is no driver support from asrock for windows 7.

100%, you can check for yourself.