ARM Laptop: Pinebook Pro: A72, 14" IPS 1080p, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, m.2 NVMe, USB-C

@w.meri Wow, congrats ! I hope you do a full review of it when you get it. I’m interested, but the shortages has be worried. I’m not sure I could go that long waiting on a product. But i’m sure it’ll be worth it

I intend to do a review, this may turn up being the first ARM-based computer I regularly use. My regular laptop has been having issues, so it’s good timing. I even ordered the NVMe adapter for it.

If the L1T crew is interested in doing a review for the channel I could send it their way too? @wendell?

2 Likes

I’m here hoping and rooting for it

From the depths!

I have a scheduled delivery date of tomorrow.

Not sure how since it was in Hong Kong about 12 hours ago, but it’s in Ohio already so :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Hey guys, @w.meri here coming at you from an ARM processor

4 Likes

Is the laptop really too heavy? IE, can it tip over if you push on the screen bezel?

Dude, nice!

Are those the reports so far? If that’s the worst of it, I’ll be making a purchase.

@Goalkeeper

???

https://youtu.be/DbPl7VYIHFk

@SgtAwesomesauce Honestly the worst thing so far (aside from zero hardware acceleration) is the weird keyboard. Physically it is ISO layout, but logically it is ANSI. So there are few keys don’t actually type what they are labelled as.

1 Like

That shouldn’t be. They said there was hardware accel working. :confused:

That should be configurable.

1 Like

Let me look into, it could just be me not being used to this hardware.

I’m honestly not even sure how to test hardware acceleration.

Watch a youtube video.

If it’s hardware accelerated it will work.

If not, you’ll be dropping frames like snoop.

1 Like

False alarm I guess, video works fine.

No sound though.

The pinebook internally doesn’t have a lot in it. It was said by someone that had one that it was easy to tip over

1 Like

Is that the Pinebook or Pinebook Pro? The Pro feels fine to me.

1 Like

Did it came with Debs installed? Thought it would be Manjaro.

Came with Debian.

I’ll probably end up swapping to Manjaro once I get an NVME SSD in it, I’ve never really cared for Debian or Debian-based distros.

I do, actually. Debs XFCE has made some real wonders to my old dell laptop. But YMMV as always.

1 Like

I think I just prefer the way Arch works more than Debian.

I do like XFCE though, I even used it on Fedora.

Lol, so it turns out switching to the ‘rock’ account instead of the ‘root’ account fixed the lack of audio.

Are there any reports of battery life? With 10,000 mAh I’d imagine it’s great.