Argone's Everything Everywhere All At Once Blog (1 year linux, lab, gaming, photography, and more!)

I have a new setup. I got rid of my 1080p displays for all 4k. 2 x 27inch and 1 x 55inch. I am using my samsung tv now! Wendell and everyone else has me wanting a 55inch tv as my monitor.

It has been a minute since I posted on here. Will start posting back here.

starting with

I am going to build my minecraft server. I am planning on downgrading the cpu from a 3900x to a 2700 or 2700x. I have 32gb of ram from 64gb. My though is I am in need of a second transcoding machine for plex and my 3900x machine is best equipped to handle this. The gist is I need two psus, and another gpu. I suppose a 610 would work well for a minecraft server. My goal is to turn it on behind a ups and have it in the basement running 24/7. I had my 3900x on centos running 24/7 and it died (psu went died on me).

1 Like

It has been a minute since I have posted here. I have given my dad my 3950x rig and now all I have is a 5950x system. Meets my needs. I have downsized from like 4+ screens to just 2. A 55inch 4k hdr beast and a 27in 4k lg.

I am back on windows and have lost interest in minecraft. Will post back here daily (will try to at least once a day)

2 Likes

Your life is a bit of a hectic roller coaster, but well done for staying positive!

My fellow penguinistas and I like to bang on about leenuckz, but win 10 is a working system with directx12 and stable support by hardware vendors, don’t listen too close when we fanboy about our autistic choices…

Also, Only one Computer, but I bet you still got a whole bunch of Nas’s and other devices in your den there?

1 Like

I have found how to transcode 4k and keep hdr. FFMPEG is required and it has to be transcoded using libx265 not nvenc. So cpu utilization is at 100% so ipc, core count, and clock speed all are at play.

My 1700 could do 20fps with 1080p non hdr (x265) and my 3950x and 3900x could do that at 40+ fps. They would get between 7fps and 14 fps for 4k transcodes. My 5950x is gettingf 15 - 20fps for 4k transcodes. 60fps for 1080p.

1 Like

I just found more family photos and old home vhs tapes. Time to scan and rip.

Presently ripping my favorite dinosaur movie from the 90s from vhs. quality is atrocious. But i will share it with my nephew to show him how it looked when i was his age.

1 Like

Part of my xmas of 98 is corrupt. Meaning when I try rewinding at a point it shuts down my vcr. I thought it was the vcr. but fast forwarding to a point lets it play normally. xmas of 95 is decent. xmas of 94 is decent. i did 97 last year and looking for a xmas of 96. might not have it.

I found my preschool of 96 video for our xmas choir thing. I was little af there. I found my birthday of 95. It was recorded over. part of it is good but the rest is some soccer game.

On another note my tvs auto shut off didn’t work. so my oled was left on the entire night.

This is awesome, keep it up. I wish my family wasn’t so chea… frugal back then and that they had invested in camcorders so we could have the memories now. Oh well. I’m currently scanning all the letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother during WWII so that they do not get lost to time. Google’s hand writing recognition isn’t half bad- but still far from 100%.

I am sure I will run into my grandparents letters from wwii. both of my grandpas served. One in europe and the other in the pacific.

2 Likes

doing my 1996 preschool xmas thing. Feel like a long as time ago. was a long ass time ago.

I am awaiting for knives out on blu ray to arrive so i can watch it. I dont like renting if I dont have to and generally I keep movies around to watch with friends and family.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/aegs-1-year-linux-challenge-blog-month-2/

I have a linux blog going. My linux experience will be documented in the linux blog.

It’s been a minute since a posted.

Here is a tour of my partially finished basement.

1. Two x 65inch tvs in (at the top),

2. Two x 4k 27inch monitors + 32inch 240hz monitor centered.

3. Drawing Laptop

4. Primary system
    5950x, 6900xt, 1050ti (windows vm), 64GB of ram

5. Ancient HP LCD from 2007ish

6. ACER 144hz 1080p

7. Mac Mini

Left: 3950x Proxmox server
Center left (synology ds)

Center Right: pfsense router

Right: Proxmox build 2

Far Right: Macbook (proxmox)

Exercise bike and storage area. Also cat hammocks.

Sorry for the mess. In the process of cleaning up. But also the media collection is only part of my collection. The restart are boxed away till i get more shelving.

@Trooper_ish @psycho_666

7 Likes

Real nice place you got there!

I am propper jelly!

2 Likes

Needs some more dry walls in a few places, and painted black.

1 Like

I’m not. Have you seen the price of the electricity lately?
So many puters and screens…

2 Likes

But, we did not invade another country for their oil, so our oil, and electric is more pricey…

Imagine electricity is free. Such toys to play with!

3 Likes

You communist…

3 Likes

All that fancy tech and that trash Dell keyboard…

Did you see the das keyboard. the dell keyboard is how i show how much i care for my mac station.

2 Likes