Arch Anywhere: a GUI installer for Arch Linux

http://arch-anywhere.org/download/
i came across this tonight and thought i should share. it seems pretty intuitive and i'm certain somebody could benefit.
please keep in mind that the method they suggest for USB install DIDN'T work for me, and they state Rufus doesn't work with their iso.

i'm installing on my laptop as i write this, and will remove this thread if it comes to the point where the install doesn't work.

1 Like

Well the installation went pretty smooth, all got downloaded. But now my luck with arch hit me again. After the first reboot I get dropped to the rootfs shell as /dev/mapper/root can not be found.

How is this different from Architect

i'm not sure if you're asking what features are different, or whether it does the same thing.
i don't know, and yes.

So did your install succeed with a successful boot?

i mean, is there anything different between this and Architect ? But if you haven't used it then i understand the reply.

it did, yeah. although i had to reinstall because i picked the wrong graphics drivers, but i'm running Cinnamon right now.

there was another similar GUI installer that got shut down or something, and in my my mind that was Architect so i never bothered to search for it. just googled it and Architect wasn't the one that got depreciated after all.

sort of necro, but i figured out why the USB install didn't work. it was because the volume label for the usb stick wasn't "ARCH-ANYWHERE_2.2.2", so it wasn't being mounted when booting.

the DD command with && sync is what worked for me. also i THINK it may have to be in NTFS format to accomidate the long name.

1 Like

I'd use those for convenience. I'd still learn how to do a manual install, so you can write a script that reinstalls everything for your specific system.

the manual install method never struck me as much more than an exercise. hats off if you can do it, but there's usually a lot more pressing concerns than "can i get to the login screen this time" when i need a linux system up and going.

Honestly using an installer removes the "Learning Experience" you get from doing all this stuff yourself. whether it be learning systemd, installing a bootloader (Grub2 or Syslinux [which I learned I prefer much more than grub after using it]) and just compiling packages.

though if you wish to try out Arch the "easy" way then just use Manjaro. which is a Arch Based Distro. it has everything Arch Linux has without the learning experience.

1 Like

The advantage of it is you can write your own command line installer that would install all of the packages on your system. I need to update mine to take advantage of the new pacman hooks, but I can fully automate getting my system fully ready for use with it.

Honestly the problem i see with this is a pedagogical problem. You see arch is meant as a teaching distro. For people to delve deeper into a purer linux experience and understand it better. If people want a GUI setup they should just look at mainstream distros like OpenSUSE

"2 Necro coins have been deposited into your account.Have a nice day"

6 Likes

without launching into yet another Arch circlejerk, i think we should let people use whatever they want to use, however they want to use it. that's the value of Linux.

"I pride myself on reviving good topics"

Good day to you too sir

1 Like

Can we make this a thing? So you can look at a profile and see how many necros they have?

Would be awesome.

1 Like

ask @wendell ?

Well as the statuses go Antergos is quite literally regarded as an arch installer