Apple wins $1 billion award in patent case

Yesterday I got an update for my Samsung Galaxy S3, 95mb. I can't pinch to zoom anymore...I'm so pissed. I cannot believe this was passed by those morons.

Wow you're right. The Jury and Judge should have something shoved up their other end for this horric decision.

I'm very surprised Samsung have sent out an update to alter existing products in the hands of consumers in order to downgrade them in line with this ruling. Surely the pinch to zoom was in a list of features that attracted you to buying the product in the first place? This can't be right.

this is hardly a surprise... what can you expect from trial held 15km away from Apple central? 

Take a moment and read the rant post about this story. I left a pretty nice bombshell as one of the comments. Makes sense. Enjoy.

This whole thing is silly.

As much as I hate Apple's Patent bullying, I think Samsung should have taken the licensing offer by Apple.

As for Pinch to zoom OTA update, custom flash it, and leave all your worries behind : )

I'm not going to read through the entirety of U.S. patent law but this looks like a nice abridged version.  Could be shit but it seems legit.  If someone else has something better post it on here.

This might also be useful and this if you care to look further into the whole sha'bang.  It's a list of the patents Samsung "infringed" on with the second link giving slightly more details a description of patents D'677, D'087, D'305, D'889.  If anyone has the court filings post that.  In before LMGTFY :P

So far the Tap to Zoom (or was it pinch to zoom) feature was created by some professors in Delaware who started their own company.  Apple bought them up so Apple owns the patent.  I suppose I can see why the verdict went Apples way on this.

As for the design patents D'667 etc. It's hard to believe the jury gave them this.  From the first link:

Subsections (a) and (e) define true prior art, in that they are based on what was done or known by others before the invention by the applicant:

A person shall be entitled to a patent unless –

(a) the invention was known or used by others in this country, or patented or described in a printed publication in this or a foreign country, before the invention thereof by the applicant for patent, or . . .

I feel like the shapes used in Apple's iPhone designs have been used before.  Many people talk about rectangles with rounded edges and after reading about the idea of "prior art" it's nuts that Apple got the verdict they wanted.  

As for the bounce back feature...I haven't unearthed much about prior devices that have this feature nor if Apple bought the company who was granted the patent in the first place.  Maybe Apple applied for the patent themselves.  Software patents seem to be rather complicated though.

EDIT: Samsung's Trial Brief - mentions the whole Sony Walkman design and how Apple's patent on the "rounded rectangular edges" is invalid.  Sadly, the judge wouldn't allow Samsung's lawyers use this evidence in the opening statements.

The Verdict really pisses me off to think that the legal system can award damages as such on the iphone Pinch to Zoom any see the MultiTouch project that shows you how to make a Multi touch pad outta a box and a webcam i really cant believe that apple can have this patented and win this absurd case if F****** BullS*** i just hope that Motorola(GOOGLE) pwns there ass in court doesnt take money and just bans there asses from sale in the US till they ACTUALLY invent something +1 for Logan and Wendell on the Contest for what did apple really invent they are just a recipe company that patents things already made by others. And its really surprising that the Jury didnt take to heart any thing Steve Jobs REALLY SAID "Good artist copy, Great artist Steal" and he also said "I will destroy android" "Im willing to go to thermonuclear war on this" 

three words 

"F*** YOU APPLE"

P.S.

And i sell the iphone WTF

Dude we cant even advo for the iphone unless it approved by apple first plus we had to spend 3500 on a display just to sell the product in store really they are absolute control freaks that hate innovation and want mindless drones that do everything they want.

What we need to do is STAND UP AND GIVE A SHIT >=l.....we the people cant just sit by and whatch as this technological DICTATOR  known as apple take over our loving tachnology world. There should be someone that can make a difference...maybe not me...but someone out there reading this should do something about the wrong acts being commited

samsung will appeal and hopefully common sense will prevail, wow us patent laws so need changing

in the uk we have not had update from samsung so my s3 in not  affected so far

This is a big blow for Samsung and the Android Community in General. I won't be updating from now on. Gonna rely on Custom Roms.

Whenever I make a steel plate patch for something, it very often ends up being rectangular.. I always round the edges too, I guess that means I'm infringing on Apple's patents...

cnet the offial i love apple site report is interesting

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57499425-92/in-apple-v-samsung-the-jury-has-spoken/?tag=nl.e496

Hope that google will win the lawsuit against apple, becouse if this will go on, noone else will be able to sell smartphones and other products. We will be stuck with apple, and I sure don't want to use any apple products. The LAW is WRONG  fix it or we will be doomed

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the Jury probably owned an Iphone. SMH.

Logan said in one of The Tek episodes that a Mac-mate of his made a good argument: [paraphrase] Apple is just protecting themselves.  It's what Apple does.  It's the government that is granting it these patents that's wrong. [/paraphrase] 

Don't hate on apple because it protects what it thought was, and is now, theirs.  I'm no Apple fan and yes, it is abusing the system, but can you really blame it for trying to cover their own ass?  The problem is an outdated patent law.  Stand up against something like that instead; it would be better for everyone in the end :) 

The foxconn-apple labor situation though, that's reason to boycott.  Good luck getting anyone in China to realize what's going on.  Most people in mainland China have no idea about that kind of thing.

Samsung v Apple Jury selection details.  Apparently some people didn't even have cell phones XD  

Jury selection only took a day or two at most for this trial.  Remember the Casey Anthonny trail in Orlando last year?  Yeah, that Jury selection took almost ten days.  It took so long because most people knew what was going on through the news and the judge was being very critical of who would be allowed to serve.   Meanwhile, the Apple v Samsung case, takes no more than two days.  Considering the jury was assembled mainly in a pro-apple area you would think the folks in the courthouse would have taken a bit longer to ensure a higher degree of objectivity among the jury.  

" At Apple, we value originality and innovation..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

editorial by Engadget about the case http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/25/editorial-engadget-on-the-apple-vs-samsung-ruling/

I pretty much agree with what Engadget writes really.