Anyone Upgrading to Windows 10?

I don't know if you remember Vista or ME but let's just say having a horrid but fixable interface is a pretty good way to go.

I'll most likely upgrade to windows 10 when windows 8.1 nears the end of its life... unless I find a good reason to upgrade before then.

I WAS going to upgrade on day one, but after reading about automatic updates being forced for Home Premium users, I don't know now. My internet is pretty crap, so I only run updates while I'm asleep. If I can't do that with Windows 10, then I'll just stick with 7.

WDDM 2.0 and DX12 will be the reason to upgrade, not much else. Start-menu was a clunky and dumb idea in 1995, hated it then and still hate it now. Best thing with 8.1 is the win+x or right-click left lower corner menu. Applications I start as I have since win7, press win and write the app name. Same as I do in linux. I do not want a "new and improved" start menu, what a load of bollocks. Looks like they managed to make an even more annoying and useless start menu in win10 with its "live tiles" etc. Hopefully you can disable it completely. Start screen in win8.1 is more useful.

And talking about WDDM 2.0, seems both AMD and Nvidia will soon both drop support for anything older than WDDM 1.3 (win8.1). So no new drivers for people sticking to the old and terrible Win7.

I went ahead and clicked "reserve" just so I would remember to go and get the download, but I have no intent to "upgrade" until I'm good and ready (if ever). Although I only keep win 7 for gaming, I keep getting a feeling that win 10 is going to take control without asking, and I'd wager there's some snooping built into the OS (don't get "scroogled..."). Wasn't the word on the street that win 10 updates are not optional and all automatic? Dunno if that's true, but it sounds believable. Nothing I would trust on day one. Perhaps I'll cancel the reservation and wait for DX12. Yeah. DX12 sounds sweet.

im running the technical preview and i havnt had a notification.. will it just turn into windows 10 automatically from updates or do you reckon i will have to reinstall my copy of 7 then upgrade.. i hope not haha

I was just reading up, if you are using a home basic version now then you will get that version in the upgrade and that version forces all updates. All other versions give you the option to defer.

This is my only reason since I know use windows only for gaming. You can remove all the live tiles and shrink down the start menu btw at least in the tech preview.

1 Like

Will startisback break anything during the windows 10 upgrade?

I say go for it. It's generally better to be on the most modern version of an operating system - especially if you are someone who does a lot of technical support for other people. I will continue to use Ubuntu GNOME as my daily driver, but will certainly use Windows 10 as well. It's always a good idea to at least keep an eye on Microsoft.

My only main complaints with the operating system that I see so far is how much screen space the start menu takes up (because for some reason they will not let the panels/metro system go), lack of mentioned features (Python 2/3 support? Universal Dark Theme? Scaling options for better window and text optimization on larger resolutions?) I do appreciate that it is a free upgrade, but I wish we could hear more of the technical specifications of it before it was released rather than just information about Cortana, which I could care less about.

If you are on Windows 7, go for it. If you are on Windows 8.1 ... I would suggest waiting a little bit to see how it shapes up, to be honest, the upgrade will apparently still be available to you.

I really wish Windows updates didn't suck so much. Ubuntu really gets that right, not to mention you have to restart for every upgrade...and then wait on them to configure, it's tedious.

The beast of windows giveth, and taketh away.

I will certainly upgrade my Windows machines that I use with Windows to Windows 10. Eventually. There is an innate tendency in software to improve over time, which also implies that it is not really that great at the time it is being released. I am simply not willing to participate until I get to hear enough good stuff about it, and good stuff about it for a long enough period of time - until the dust settles.

There is also software that I like to start using fresh of the shelf. Windows 10 just isn't that one software.

I am on W7 on most of my systems, W8.1 on a few.
But 8.1 has fixed a lot of crap that W8 gave, so at least kudo's for that MS!

BUT, since there will be a lot of modern horsecrap in W10 I'm kinda skeptical. I'm talking about shit like Cortana, "APPS", the appstore with that, and all kinds of nonsense like that.

But if THEY or MS itself give you the optuon to leave it out, maybe even out of the installation, I will TOTALLY buy the crap out of Windows 10.

Cortana is totally optional from all reports i've heard. And you can also turn off voice searching and all of that nonsense if you are not interested. :)

You could try booting a Linux live cd and removing the crap. Just make sure it isn't a dependency of the OS. I may use 10, but just for gaming purposes. When I get a new GPU it's going into KVM.

You can turn it off even in the tech preview, you can also remove the live tiles from the start bar and shrink the window down, you can also disable the search bar next to the menu and the workspace icon. and you don't have to use the store.

Windows 10 is windows with copies of things other OS already have. ex workspaces, integrated web/file searcher, the settings menu instead of control panel, the app store is just like ubuntus software center.

Linux is primary here, Windows is only for faming and media consumption and editing.

But it's good to hear that the crap kan be removed from the OS.

I've been running Win 10 for months. It's really stable and (IMO) much better than 8.1. I've never used any of the widgets, but I run 4K so the scaling is really nice.

They're doing quite a job on it. Admittedly I've disabled most of the "features" so take that into account. To me, its basically Win 7 with better 4K support.

CMD is still up with most lines still working, so you can continue as normal.

That's really nice to hear, I never jumped ship to Windows 8.1, i've kept on 7, so of course i'm making the upgrade to 10. I have a question from someone who has used it more frequently, are there ways to make the start menu less big so it takes up less of the screen? And are there better scaling options for larger resolutions.