Anyone Upgrading to Windows 10?

10 has the control panel.

1 Like

It has the settings screen.

If I can upgrade from a pirated copy of windows 7 without doing a fresh install to 10 then use my genuine windows 8 key to activate it, then yes.

Gonna wait, not confident that windows 10 will be very polished, gonna give it some time to mature a bit.

2 Likes

Im hesitant to try upgrading while I have projects i need to work on. Windows upgrade cant seem to manage to upgrade my system for 8 to 8.1 so I think I will switch to 10 when I have time to start from a clean state.

Not for certain, but if you subscribe to Windows Insider (like I did) then they give you a free key.

How to Open the Control Panel in Windows 10

Two things,

• That Link is old, that was in the very early stages of the Windows 10 builds, where they were basically transitioning Windows 8 to the Windows 10-like Features.
  • in the most recent builds, Control Panel doesn't and won't exist anymore. all of it's functionality has been added to the "Settings" application.
1 Like

Same thing :)

There for my question persists. Why 8.1 over 10?

yeah but it's not named the control panel. they are different. because control panel didn't gives you the option to control and set up all your touch-features. Control panel was for desktop windows, and settings was for "Touch" windows. they just combined the two, to stop the confusion and to stop the inconvenience.

And to answer your question why 8.1 over 10? well for a multitude of reasons.

• Scaling will be much better.
  • Touch Features are much better.
  • you don't have to deal with the start screen anymore. you can use both if you desire, but it's optional now,
  • Support for DX12
  • Multi-tasking is much better.

there's more reasons but here are a few.

Honestly I'm surprised no one is rioting about not having control over updates anymore. all updates will be installed automatically. you don't get to choose what to install. unless it's peripherals.

I will only upgrade when it is stable, do games actually run on Windows 10?

I know 10 is better. That was my argument. LOL. I was asking why 8.1 over 10 not vice versa. Sorry for the confusion.

Yup. Nexus Mod Manager is a little buggy though.

they run okay, not amazingly. but remember it's still in it's beta stages. Windows 10 is next to completion. the only thing they are fixing now is bugs and touch features now. because touch-features have been broken since day one.

Well you can keep Windows 8.1, no one is stopping you from upgrading for free. but don't get upset if you choose not to upgrade and then later have to pay for it. but upgrading to windows 10, may give you a much better and reasonable workflow compared to windows 8.

You've got me all wrong. LOL. Are you from Europe or the US? I prefer 10 to 8/1 as stated :)

Usually when saying why something over another thing the thing which presides the latter is the one in question. In other words, what does 8.1 bring to the table that 10 won't. That was my question :). Thank you for the laughs.

1 Like

I'm from MURICA'.

and to comment on your post, that's more of a backward question, that's why it sounds confusing. lol Windows 8.1 doesn't bring anything to the table besides a confusing touch interface to a desktop environment. lol realistically there is no reason to stay on Windows 8 after 10 drops on July 29th.

1 Like

I can agree with you on everything except for Linux. A while back Torvalds was contacted by the NSA despite having said no, however he was nodding his head. Nothing was ever put into the kernel itself, however Selinux which is the primary security interface for MOST distributions does in fact have a backdoor. Distros such as SUSE use AppArmor which is developed by Novell. No backdoors have been found in AppArmor however have been in Selinux. If you're overly scared to death, both can be disabled. But then again you have Gnome which allows you to link online accounts... It depends on how you use it... You shouldn't have anything to hide to begin with, but at the same time does the NSA also have the right to perform cavity checks on your wife purely out of suspicion? Fuck no.

1 Like

Agreed.

Agreed. Linux mint is already my Laptops' operating system, and will soon be my desktop OS. I think I'll keep w7 installed as is (alongside LM) and run w10 in a VM. 95% of what I need is in mint, but windows is unfortunately needed for a couple of things. Damn MS... they could have done things so much better if they didn't act like a government. Elon Musk is probably horrified at how they run a business.