Anyone know whats going on with win 10 and BT AAC support in windows? Not in 2H21 update?

Does anyone know what’s going on with windows 10 and AAC support? Currently, windows has SBC and aptx audio support for BT, but the insider branches for 21H2 had AAC support working. However, after updating to 2H21, I can’t find it anywhere. I have a pair of sony headphones, and the audio doesn’t sound the best with sbc compared to LDAC on my LG phone. My understanding is ldac is impossible right now for Windows but AAC should still be a big step up compared to SBC.

Here is the dev blog about it.

Did they strip this for Windows 11? None of my systems can even run windows 11 :frowning:

Is there any licensing involved in AAC? It could have been working for testing, as the insider program is meant for, but removed due to legal issues yet to be resolved.

Though I wonder bow since it did work, if it is:
A) still there just not in the GUI, might need registry edits
B) possible to be dropped back in if you know the files from the update and its support like registry entries again

It would be interesting, though not new, if they kept it for 11 it has happened with older windows before.

They did the very same thing with nested virtualization support on AMD CPUs. It was in Windows 10 insider builds but removed for the release of 21H1. But of course Windows 11 received support.

1 Like

Windows 11 had AAC support? Never seen my QC35 connected with AAC before. I can’t understand why Windows as the only major vendor has not supported it?

1 Like

:frowning:

1 Like

Linux apparently has LDAC working fine… and some people even spin up VM containers and pass through a Bluetooth dongle to stream that way. Not sure about AAC though on Linux though. I made a post on the ms community forum, but they didn’t come back with anything useful, just stating there was nothing in the release notes.

1 Like

Update: I had a spare Thinkpad lying around, and after some tinkering I was able to zorin os core 16 (based on Ubuntu LTS). After that, I was able to install pipewire and that pushed LDAC to my headphones no issue.

I did also try Hyper V and Virtual Box, but hyper V wouldn’t let BT work, and Virtual Box had the linux install freeze after about 5 minutes into the initial session, then about 30 seconds into each sequential session. Still no word on windows and AAC though.

1 Like

Another update: Looks like MS put the implementation of AAC on intel’s shoulders. I was trying on an Asus bt dongle so no word on what’s up with that, but I’ll see if intel works and report back.