Anyone else waiting for openSUSE 42?

That's because the way they make their ISO for TW is a bit different. Typically programs like that will add files they feel are necessary where as TW already has them. These files conflict on startup. Some times these files may be cloned to an installation whenever the process is called on. To avoid this mess, DD can be used. All of the files are already there. The reason they chose this more complex route is because how often they update the images. They aren't tested either, and occasionally dnf work properly. The current image should work just fine for you if you want to give it another go. I think you'd enjoy it, especially with the improvements over the past couple of weeks.

As long as everything works out the box without a headache I don't mind. the only thing i wish i could of got working was Sabayon. I've never seen my laptop run like water ever in my life.

1 Like

See, I spend about 7 hours at least after installing SUSE tweaking it for aesthetics and adding programs. Plus games, it's probably around a week lol. I enjoy configuring and fixing crap :). I used to use Manjaro and it was great. It's second to SUSE IMO.

1 Like

the only thing i hate about Manjaro is the bloody bloatware. but from what i've been reading it's all Gnome Bloatware. all i did was remove purge gnome-extras then re input the command so i can install stuff i wanted.

2 Likes

There is a nifty little return to base command that I always use when I install manjaro, its on the arch fourms somewhere. For me ive found it to be a nice in the middle between an arch install and a manjaro install.

1 Like

i'm still new to the Linux world. it's the reason I have little patience when it comes to things not working. but I installed Manjaro for the Rolling Release goodness, and the Arch backend, simply because i would like to end up building arch sometime in the future and eventually learn Gentoo. I fell in love with Sabayon but all the Gentoo handbook is old and some of the information isn't useful at all.

The gentoo handbook really is a headache. Then with that said, so is Gentoo, so its only fitting I guess.

it runs like water which is good. that's the thing i like about it. and my system is a Haswell i3 with 4GIB of RAM. and a 128GB ssd.

I have 4 machines to update. Lets do this. From what I can see fron the RCs it is gonna be nice

I bet Arch would run like water.

It probably will. I'm still learning so i don't know how long it's going to take me to gain the knowledge to understand what the hell I'm doing. but i'll get there.

Have you though about a wifi dongle to get around the broadcom driver?

Edit: i have been recommending dongles a lot this week

1 Like

The sinful Broadcom card works perfectly out the box on Manjaro. I thought about just replacing the Wi-Fi card entirely since it's removable on my Dell and maybe install something else. but when it's working it's no trouble. when it isn't, I've never felt like I've wanted to throw my Laptop at the wall in years.

You could go with an intell one their drivers are open source.

I've been looking at this one.

@Zippy_Parmesian sorry for the massive derail.

1 Like

If you need the help it's fine. You don't know how many threads of others have become comedies because of me lol

I have one in my laptop and both wifi (2.4/5Ghz) and Bluetooth work on OpenSuse 13.2.

And it works well?

on a sidenote The beauty of Dell products.. everything is replace-able.

Ram, battery, SSD, Wi-Fi card.

Yeah I never bother with ethernet with it. The driver was added to kernel 3.18 and was backported. I use bluetooth to wireless send picks from my phone to my laptop.

this doesn't have an ethernet port. if the Wi-Fi isn't working i just tether my phone.