Anyone else waiting for openSUSE 42?

I think SUSE 42 is going to be massive. Why? It follows the same release as SUSE Enterprise Linux. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it will be like the Fedora of RHEL. The SUSE devs seem to be putting a lot of effort into this release and there are only 72 more days until its debut. Now openSUSE will be even more easy to deploy and possibly excell on servers. 42.1 is ex[ected to be an LTS release as well. I expect great things out of it. I myself will be sticking with Tumbleweed, but when I retire my desktop the new release model will allow me to make sure I'm going to be able to optimize it for whatever. What do you guys think?

1 Like

I would argue more that openSUSE is probably trying to compete with Linux Mint 17.2, because it was so well received. I don't know, openSUSE is great but has always been packaged with a looooot of software, which is wonderful for desktop use, not so much for server application (plus, I may be wrong, but does openSUSE have an option in the installer to run it without a desktop environment? I just don't remember it ever being optimized for headless application). I definitely see the two competing massively over the desktop space, however. I love the openSUSE devs even if I don't personally use their distro - it will be interesting to see where it goes, but I don't think it will have a crazy 10 year LTS schedule like RHEL/centOS or even the 5-year LTS of Debian. I'm interested in what the release schedule will be like.

The release schedule will follow the enterprise division. You can in fact go headless and be fine. SUSE is actually great for servers. It's just it isn't optimized for any one thing. As a matter a fact you can select the packages to install before installation on the DVD.

I see SUSE and Mint on different levels of the playing field. Mint is intended to be simple stupid where as SUSE has always been more geared towards completing tasks in the most efficient way. SUSE also follows an open policy so in a default installation there isn't any closed software such as codecs unless the user chooses to install it.

If you choose the default install there is a lot of software, but I will admit I use everything minus Xen.

Interesting. That would be my fault then - i've always been a Debian person and only have a little experience with openSUSE - thank you for elaborating. In that case, I am indeed interested to see what SUSE has up their sleeve. But I still stand by the point that SUSE will probably be seen as a nice point in between Mint and distros such as Debian and RHEL. Though, I would like to see it's application in servers - there are indeed a lot of things I like in SUSE. I guess we will see :)

1 Like

Exactly. SUSE is the only distro I know of where zero downtime is a thing. That's amazing when you're dealing with servers albeit for changes besides modifications to the kernel and system services to take affect in theory rebooting would be a requirement, but if it's a server all you need is newer services and patches.

1 Like

The "zero downtime" idea is kind of why i've really learned to love Debian - it is so damn stable, especially after running Ubuntu servers in my earlier Linux days. Though, honestly, my biggest problem with Debian/Ubuntu is still the repository/package management system. Pacman is fantastic by comparison and I remember openSUSE going about it in a very smart way as well.

2 Likes

Out of every distro I've used, SUSE has the best package manager, Zypper is fantastic.

That alone may be reason enough for me to try SUSE again, haha

1 Like

I´m realy interessted in this new upcomming release of openSuse.
I will definitely going to try it.

2 Likes

Install OpenSuSE Tumbleweed/Factory... rolling release, super bleeding edge, same enterprise grade super user friendly and stable linux goodness... and you don't have to wait for any release any more, you'll always have the latest and greatest on your system.

3 Likes

+1. Tumbleweed is rock solid. I run it myself. I just think 42.1 will advance where previous releases didn't and that's stability and security. Now that openSUSE and SLE share the same base, I think paying for SLE doesn't make too much sense for small businesses and schools as of now.

I wonder why they opted to have 3.16.3 in the final release and not 3.18. I'm testing beta 1 right now and it's the best release of Gnome 3 yet.

I really don't think there is a valid argument as to why to stick to Windows anymore unless for whatever reason you actually prefer it. If you need to run Windows you can run it in KVM. As for buying a second graphics card, you end up spending the equivalent on a Windows key...

1 Like

This is also the reason why i am interessted in this.
I have the same plan, as soon as i have upgraded my current setup.

1 Like

It'll be releasing on the 5th. It looks promising so far. Especially with Plasma 5.4.2.

I've switched to the rolling release; Tumbleweed.

I could not get Tumbleweed to install for the life of me. :/

???

What problems are you having

I have always used TW. It's always worked for me better than the stable release. Change is great.

this was weeks ago. but when i would install it, it would restart in an endless loop after it finished. i couldn't do anything.. after that incident, Tumbleweed put a bad taste in my mouth of OpenSUSE for a bit. since I got my Linux machine I've been distro hopping but I've finally settled with Manjaro.

It was probably related to the USB. SUSE doesn't work so well on installation unless you use DD to write the image for whatever reason.

sudo dd if=/path/to/.iso of=/dev/sdX

Someone told me to try this "ImageUSB" program. it worked with everything, I tried Fedora, Ubuntu, Sabayon, and Manjaro (Which I'm currently using) and none of them had a problem until i loaded up Tumbleweed onto the program so it could write a Linux installer USB.