Return to Level1Techs.com

Anyone down for Lan Party in MInneapolis?

I’m struggling to find any decent sized LAN Parties in the area and I feel it’d be a good location(central US, decently cheap flights as well).

Is anyone interested in this? If so we can make plans more in-depth, it’d probably be a while out.

1 Like

I live right around the twin-cities. So I’d be down for it.

0 Likes

Awesome! If it ends up being a smaller crowd I might do it as a housewarming party when I buy a house, otherwise i’ll probably be able to get a 50-person space for super cheap

0 Likes

Minneapolis is one of the few cities in the US with 10 gigabit internet. Why would you need to have a LAN party?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I live just outside of the border for Mineapolis Fibre. So I’m stuck with Comcast. *cries a little

0 Likes

Alright debbie downer.

0 Likes

Because it’s the best human interaction!

1 Like

How is 10 gigabit internet a downer?

You never know what sorts of kooks would show up to a meatspace event like that - at your own home for crying out loud. These people will know where you live! Forever - until you move. The only people crazier and unhinged than the users here are the moderators.

1 Like

You’d be sad too if you were just outside of the coverage area for 10G. I mean, look at the pricing!

0 Likes

Pshhh I’m not scared.

0 Likes

Lans are just magical, and need to happen regardless of your internet speeds.

Having 10 Gigabit internet would make the lan even better.

this hurts.

2 Likes

Sucks bro. I’m gonna be getting 1GBPS soon when I buy a house

0 Likes

Actually I do, and it’s even more painful. I live just outside the 100 gigabit service area in Santa Monica. And I have to use crappy spectrum internet.
http://www.smcitynet.com/

0 Likes

That sucks even more. You could upload 12.5 Gigabytes per second!

0 Likes

I have one worse for you. I get 2mb down on a good day and like 100kb max up

Yet there is a fibre cable under my driveway that goes to my neighbor’s, a CEO of a huge Corp, and the speeds are not disclosed but it’s some voodoo magic, millions of dollars worth of fibre (unlike anything I’ve ever seen) and I can’t legally use it.

0 Likes

I’m game. Let me know when/where/what we’re likely to play. My schedule may or may not permit, but I’m definitely interested.

Edit:
Also to the question of 10Gb internet connections.

http://fiber.usinternet.com/fibermap.php

Large swaths of South Minneapolis where the rollout is happening are not yet covered. Forget the rest of Minneapolis, and forget the rest of the metro area.

0 Likes

Rolling it out to the wealthy first I see. My old house is just shy of the green zones in Powderhorn, a few blocks west of Cedar.

I might think of driving in for a LAN party, but I think I’d need a more portable system first :money_mouth_face:

When would this be planned for roughly?

0 Likes

I’m not sure on a timeframe yet, but if it’s just a few people we could do it before the end of the year. Sucks to be outside of the green zone :frowning:

0 Likes

If I was in Minny yes. Btw tell the T’wolves to stop sucking. They are my favorite NBA team and … : S

0 Likes

I’ll get right on finding a way to contact them.

1 Like