Any other ThinkPad fans out there?

Maybe the majority of people don't treat their laptops like they were a solid brick of cast iron (Like me).

Yep, refurbished by a reputable seller. It came with no noticeable scratches, cracks, light spots, dead pixels or anything and just about 90% of the designed capacity on the battery. Switched the HDD (7mm height) with an SSD (which are all 7mm, to my knowledge), got a knock-off caddy for cheap and put in the original HDD. The ultrabay caddy can fit a drive of up to 9,5mm, so you have a bit more choice there. The only drawback as I see it, is that you cannot put in a larger battery in it, as it is mounted at the bottom and not in the back like the standard series. The few extra USB ports missing is no big deal to me.

I treat mine like a princess :P Last one I sold, the dude picking it up asked if it ever was used XD

My carrying solution http://www.pelican.com/backpacks/U100.html

Come to think of yesterday I had a discussion with my house mate (the one you helped with the wireshark capture, actually) about what the different computers in the house were. We agreed our Lenovos were like elite soldiers, though I guess any elite soldier has to have their private princess time ;)

And here goes the hunt for where to buy it.. Thanks!

Ruggedness is good to have, but better to not need it ;)

Your welcome... its extremely spacious and the laptop compartment is like a plastic tank =) and you can put so much stuff into it... be careful to not overload your spine... it will snap before the shoulder straps do ;-)

True, it's like insurance!

I've found some of the pelican backpacks locally. The U100 and all but one of the other ones are about $300 US..

I justefied it with the price of what it is protecting ^^ I mean the little sucker I write this costed ~ 2000€ so... well...

1 Like

I have the thinkpad p50 best laptop i've ever owned, i've loved thinkpads since i started in the IT field a few years ago but could never buy one as powerful as this until now :-)

Processor
Intel Core i7-6820HQ Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.60GHz)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro currently but will be switching to arch very soon
Display Type
15.6" UHD 4k, anti-glare, IPS
Memory
8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics
NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB
Hard Drive
M.2 256GB SSD
Battery
6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery
Wireless
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, 2x2, Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.0
Mini Displayport 1.2
Thunderbolt 3

1 Like

They are beasts =)

For what I need to do the i7-5600U @ 2.6GHz is plenty.. and 12GB (11,5GB for the OS, 0.5 for the IGPU) ram (fuckers only giving me one DIMM slot) .. and a swap to 512GB SSD ... I am plenty happy.

the Sceen could have had a higher resolution... but FHD is ok... would like UHD though... but one gotta make compromises it seems.

Mine has 2 M.2 slots one is currently in use and there is a 2.5 inch sata slot as well :)

I could have 2 M.2 as well, but I had to have that pesky smartcard slot and I have the WWAN module, so the two slots besides the one for WLAN+Bluetooth are occupied (WWAN) or not built in (becaus of the smartcardt)... so I am left with SATA3... but tbh. I do not manage to fill the 512GB so... I am not worried. And Samsung 850 pro is plenty fast.

Ubuntu running on that harware by the way.

Do you have the same model p50 ?... how is the linux support ?, did you have to compromise on anything ?

Oh sorry no; mine is a T450s ^^

But linux support usually is very good for Thinkpads; only piece of concern with your p50 would be the switchable graphics, as bumblebee/optimus can be still quite flaky in Linux.

The last machine I had with that was the T440p and it worked... uhm... not very reliably untill halve a year of it beeing released first as the OSS guys had to catch up with Nvidia changing some stuff on the PCI bus and registers that caused the system to kernel panic when it detected the Nvidia gpu, so I had to actually blacklist it for halve a year =(

Though if your curious I would give it a shot; slap the linux of your choice (mine would be Ubuntu Gnome) onto a usb 3.0 thumbdrive and try it out.

Worst case scenario i'd just use the nvidia chip on it's own and have a little bit less battery :)

Jup, that would perfectly work. But I promise you its not just a little bit less battery... usually ;)

But the odds are that it will work even switching between the GPUs

Thinkpad T420 2.5ghz I5 upgraded to 8gb of ram. Runs as as good as my last laptop that was 3 years newer.

Someone needs to make a laptop that's the same size and shape as the t400 series with a classic keyboard except that has modern specs.

2 Likes

Id want a "new" T T61 that would be awsome

I am curious what you think about the layout of the keyboard/trackpad. The Fn key being where ctrl should be kind of pushes me away. Additionally the offset trackpad doesn't seem like the best idea.

I'm actually thinking about getting a P50 for myself and those two things kind of worry me.

Also when you get it on arch, I'd love to know how the displayport out works via the Quadro. The 970m with 3 different versions of the linux drivers has NOT been that great, so I've had to revert to the intel graphics on my current laptop. Video tears on it pretty badly, on both the built in display and 4k external displays using the intel graphics, so I'd love to hear some first hand experiences if you'd be willing to share. All that with i3 window manager, so it's not like unity or gnome is my culprit.

I believe that what there going to do with the Retro ThinkPad.

I've always been a fan of the Thinkpads, my first laptop was a 600e. I always like the trackpoint way more than the touchpad, I found I could be a lot more accurate with it. Shame about the spyware stuff that Lenovo started doing.

That's weird because I find the Trackpoint nipple almost unusable.