Any good reason to not use a 1950x in a homelab TrueNAS build? They are cheeep

Ah, yeah, this one’s only dual gigabit.

1 Like

Right, so the CPU itself is not hammering on the power cable. I am seeing quote of 45 watts at idle for the 1950x with 3200 speed RAM modules.

Unless your kid has 30+ friends on at a time it won’t be an issue.

If its just a handful you will be fine.

2 Likes

I’m very concerned about single core performance with a 2Ghz CPU if I were to host a Minecraft server for my children and their friends. Unless there is some Epyc magic I dont know about that will negate that fear.

I’m going for a TrueNAS backup server with 10 spinning disks, perhaps 4 VMs at most, Unifi controller hosting, Plex hosting, 1 low volume Minecraft world, and if I can figure out the passthru magic, up to 4 GPUs mining in the chassis as well. That’s close to what I’m doing now with AM4 and a 3000 series APU w/4 cores. I just want to grow the box a little to the next homelab level.

edit - I know that this homelab is only 6 months old but that itch never goes away

We have a VM running a minecraft server at 2ghz right now. It is good to about 26 players before it starts to get sluggish.

Ok thanks for the insight

cc @Dynamic_Gravity

This is probably one of the best articles you’ll ever find on Threadripper (albeit 2950X) optimization for long-term use: AMD Threadripper Build Server Efficiency

He didn’t even undervolt per se there, just used the available power-focused levers in the BIOS.

Wall idle: 40W

The lightbulb comparison was pretty much spot on.

it runs decently fast (1.17x slower than stock) with much less power (2.1x lower than stock), which means 1.8x improvement in overall efficiency .

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.