Any good reason to not use a 1950x in a homelab TrueNAS build? They are cheeep

Do the mobos let you turn off cores?

My mobo’s?

The TR ones. OP could disable cores to save on power no?

1 Like

If he doesn’t need all the cores wouldn’t disabling SMT offer similar benefits if his mobo does not support those features?

AFAIK most amd boards will allow you to disable SMT.

1 Like

Just for comparison my 2950x server draws 260 watts measured by a “kill a watt” at the plug, including three GPUs, seven rust drives, five ssds

3 Likes

They let you disable a single die, yes. At least mine did.

Not sure if it’s going to disable PCIe lanes though.

1 Like

Wait, what now? How dear are your electricity rates?

That was an extreme example, but not too far off from what some of the west coasters pay per kWh.

Mine is dirt cheap at only $0.076 / kWh so it like barely a dollar a day to operate my server rack.

I also have all LED lights in my house.

1 Like

I’m paying about £0.14/kWh.

I reckon a Red machine running full bore at 330w for 8 hours, then idle at 200w for 16 hours would be about £298/year, if idle was that high.
But it would not be the number to compare.

The number to compare would be the delta, no?
So if The Competition was 250w at it’s fastest, and 100w at idle, then it’d be £184/yr for the competition, saving £114/yr by going team blue. So just have to work out the up front vs running costs.

Pricier Udimms vs Rdimms might make more of an impact, and wipe out any savings / tip the balance…

1 Like

Yeah, we’re nearly $0.45/KWh

San Diego…

1 Like

Crikey! How much would a Diesel generator cost? I guess a bunch of homeowners might be looking close at solar?

Yeah, 1/3 of homes around here have solar.

I have a 6kw gas generator for the power outages as well as solar. What we are doing is running the generator to generate a sine wave and fooling the grid tie inverters into working.

And it keeps the fridge cold overnight.

But this is way off topic.

2 Likes

Not soo much to say, “Don’t do it,” but things to take note of:
RAM optimizations will have less pliability, compared to newer zen iterations
Have a sizeable PSU available, between the dual 8pins + pesky peak draws
Thermals - these are BIGG Chips with large amount of VRMs for a pushin’ [not including whatever peripherals you add to system]
Upgrade path being effectively terminal [PCIe 3.0, 2 Gens of sTR4 chips]. TR Gen2 will offer bigger cored variants [should that parameter, POSSIBLY fall short], along with some better memory support
…I was gonna mention mainboards, but you seem pretty set, towards that AsRock Rack

1 Like

If you want it, I’ve got a 1950x and an X399 Taichi (fresh back from an RMA) that I’ll sell ya.

Looks like market rate is ~$250 for the Motherboard and ~$350 for the CPU.

I’d be happy to do $500 for both of em.

I’ve also got a Noctua NH-U14s-TR4 that I’ll throw in.

No pressure though. (will make a public sales thread probably tomorrow)

Asrock Rack EPYC is on sale for $399 at newegg, just need to find a deal on a cpu.

1 Like

hmmmm.

something like this?

Hmmm indeed! I’d build around that versus a 1st gen ripper.

1 Like

Yeah, I dunno. It really depends on what you’re going for.

Thank you very much for the offer but I am looking for dual onboard 10Gb for SAN to my PC and to the second off-site Truenas machine.

1 Like

I’m concerned about the single core performance @ 2GHz if I host a Minecraft server for my kids and their friends.

I’m not overly concerned about idle power as long as its reasonable. I’m running a pair of crypto rigs @ 14 GPUs, so I’m not going to be shy about a CPU @120W idle.