AMD stock on the rise, "best day in 40 years"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-stock-has-best-day-in-40-years-after-china-jv-deal-q1-results-2016-04-22

Does this start the long long comeback?

5 Likes

Boy i hope so... someone needs to keep Intel and Nvidia in check from treating the consumers so blatantly awful.

Well intel fucked up. Some are thinking that apple will move to inhouse X86 or even ARM if intel keeps fucking up. Maybe even buy AMD, which I fucking hope never happens.

3 Likes

Damn straight.

AMD won't ever go under in my opinion. But they will definitely be bought by some company if they can't provide products anymore.

Simply because AMD Provides the X64 Instruction set to intel. In other words THE REASON intel can even perform 64 bit instructions is because of AMD. Intel made a proprietary X64 instruction set at one point, but it was terrible and didn't compare to AMD's so good guy AMD Decided to license it to intel.

So worse comes to worse AMD won't go bankrupt, but they will definitely be bought.. They have too many valuable assets and patents that if they die out, can disrupt Tech Industry for a few years.

4 Likes

LOL CISC doesn't count.

Best case Samsung or Valve

Worst case Apple

dose this mean i should buy 20 shares and hope they reach like 8 dollars

1 Like

wait i thought intel licensed the X86 license to amd? or am i mistaken

Nope backwards, AMD made the X64 instruction set called AMD64 in 2000. Intel tried to make one, and it didnt do so well. So intel pulled a few strings and got AMD To license it to them.

1 Like

ah nice well if it comes to the worst i think amd should make intel pay them for it :D

Let's say AMD went under tomorrow. Intel would have to go back to Intel64.

3 Likes

I'm trying to figure out why AMD didn't just kill intel's ability to use x64 when they tried to sue AMD lol

AMD and Intel share patents, so AMD uses some of Intel's patents as well.

yeah but AMD is more than capable at making a 32 bit arch, right? I mean they've set standards already, might as well do the rest.

Because it didn't matter, Intel had their own instruction set for it. It just so happened that AMD's was better across the board. So to stop investing time and money in perfecting Intel64 (which could of been improved with a little effort) Intel asked AMD if they could have it and AMD being the good guy gave it to them.

The only Instruction set Intel and AMD Both use is X64. The X86 one AMD and intel both have their own patents for that.

1 Like

This is so annoying. I was going to put £200 in AMD stock the other week. Completely forgot about it.

Could still be worth investing. No doubt it'll rise when Zen and Polaris are released.

2 Likes

Just sell at the peak of the hype train

2 Likes

was wanting to buy some stock with zen coming if it is as good as they say. looks like that would have been a good choice.

Licensing to China isn't small potatoes. Huge freakin' market there. Then there's their Apple deal, new tech for PS4 and Nintendo NX and the upcoming Zen and 400 series of cards. AMD is on a roll. Glad to see it. Nvidia being the usual psychopath will probably try to muscle some new proprietary tech in games as a counter-measure.

1 Like