AMD Radeon 7000 series discussion

You know that AMD cards literally work out of the box with Linux these days? No driver blobs to download

4 Likes

Iā€™m happy that AMD is still pushing, on the efficiency factor
Yields/scaling, down the stack, should be noticeably more streamlined [with chiplet design]

Would I entertain buying up an RX7xxxx? ā€¦Not anytime soon
I already had paid overprice, on an 2060-12GBā€¦ Not including an RX6600XT/5600XT duo
Havenā€™t invested, towards any newer [harder-specā€™d] games, that could justify itā€™s use

1 Like

What you said may be true; It has been over nineteen years since I have used an ATI graphics card. Fortunately, I still have the last one I purchased, which is collecting dust around the house. While it may be true that it is easier to install AMD graphic card drivers, Nividia graphic card drivers are more mature than AMDā€™s graphic drivers. Additionally, Nividia graphic drivers seem more mature than AMDā€™s graphic drivers because Nividia supports Linux while AMD leaves Linux compatibility to the Linux community. As I mentioned, I havenā€™t used an ATI graphics card in several years. Everything I know about AMD graphic cards is from reading articles about the subject.

@thro, you have to admit when it comes to most video production software Nividia Cuda Cores become very handy.

If an AMD top-tier card were 300 dollars cheaper than a Nividia 4080, I would take the risk of purchasing an AMD graphic card.

I had a custom Zalman cooler on it. Like on my CPU, a massive copper finset with a big fan.

laugh

5 Likes

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-14-2015/idLYs5.gif

5 Likes

Words fail. Nvidia

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got a few AMD cards and theyā€™re much nicer to deal with than Nvidia due to never having issues with the kernel driver blob.

I donā€™t do a lot of video work, so thatā€™s irrelevant for me (and likely for most linux users) - for gaming, general desktop its chalk and cheese.

1 Like

Lol, it is expected to be around 500eur cheaper here (4080 prices around 2k), performance should be roughly equal except in RT where nvidia is still way ahead.
l wouldnā€™t recommend anyone pay more than 500eur for a video card tho, so they are all nonsense to me anyways. No reference models will be sold here, just to be clear.

l feel like they ā€œunderclockedā€ the reference models, probably to stay roughly 100W below nvidia for some points, or who knows why. Think the TDB was 375W from quite early on and some AIBā€™s are expected to exceed that, having 3x 8-pin power connectors.

Probably not until most of the RDNA2 cards are out of the market, which they have tonnes to sell. Probably not before Q2 next year anyways. Laptops might see the Navi 33 parts sooner tho. The x600 and 700 series is where the value is usually at, so looking forward to them as well. Also hoping they make a proper x500 card this time, that might be a killer.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t be surprised, if the reference 7900__ GPUs, have some BIOS BUMP in pipeline
Maybe not near the 5600XTs bumpā€¦ but something like that [underspec - overdeliver]

@thro I am willing to admit if you are gaming on your computer AMD might be a little easier to deal with on Linux than Nividia. Both Nividia and AMD have their quirks on Linux. Since I do a lot of video creation and editing, switching to AMD would be a big headache. Maybe if the major video creation software were to support a format that AMD supports finally, I could change it.

I will admit downloading and installing the Nividia drivers from the Nividia website is still a pain. However, better to already have Nividia drivers compiled into whatever distro you choose than download the Linux drivers from Nvidiaā€™s website and compile it yourself.

As a video on linux user youā€™re a fairly small minority i would wager.

i have a mac and ipad for all my video stuff. as always, different peopleā€™s mileage may vary.

3 Likes

I should have explained my disappointment with AMDā€™s pricing structure for its latest graphics line more clearly. I considered purchasing a 7900XTX until they announced the suggested retail price for my gaming rig. I canā€™t see spending more than a weekā€™s pay (750 dollars) on a GPU I can only use for gaming without being able to use it for work. Unfortunately, the kind of workload I have for work isnā€™t currently supported by AMD graphic cards. I might reconsider my decision when AMD releases the rest of its new product line.

1 Like

AMD still to be unveiling the rest of the stackā€¦
Wouldnā€™t be surprised, if the 7800__ sub-series, lands on par to prior 6800__ pricings
All the while pushing whatever [undisclosed] performance/efficiency bumps

1 Like

I will agree with you here.

Where I disagree is that due to the supply crunch and the fact that the scalpers made all of teh moneyz during COVID while AMD under charged and the fact that people paid insane retail prices for the nVidia offerings, I cannot be mad at AMD upping their prices. While I am biased and will admit it (Team AMD because *nix), since AMD makes the stuff they should be getting a bigger share of the money than someone that bought out the stock of a warehouse and then sold the hot ticket items at 2 to 3 times the MSRP.

Not only that, but you donā€™t need the top end item. It is nice to have but I am sure that the less top end items that AMD is going to offer may do the job just as adequately.

I am not picking on you in particular but the argument that you are making is something that I have been seeing a lot about a lot of products and the answer is simply, things are only worth the price that people are willing to pay, if you canā€™t afford it and/or are unwilling to pay the price, then donā€™t. Vote with your wallet.

I would have loved the new NSX, but I was unwilling to pay the asking price. I bought a TLX instead, which is more practical and does 90% of what the NSX would have done. The NSX just had more style points and excitement factor. In reality, I live on an island and would not be able to wring all of the fun out of it with a max speed limit of 55MPH (Smiles Per Hour for those of you that do not read Freedumb Units).

2 Likes

I wonder how the 7900__ will fair against the 40 lineup, as the 6950XT already comes really close: (and from the benchmark pov I would never go get a *90 as the 5-30% performance increase is not worth some 30-50% the price.

I see @wendell posted his youtube review of them ā€“ my big question is if you can do GPU pass-through without any issues.

This is a great question. Iā€™d also like him to do some tests with the AV1 codec using the beta OBS, particularly Iā€™d like to see how it performs in linux .

I thought generally speaking AMD cards were easier to work with linux be that GPU pass through or using on the device. Iā€™m actually going to grab a 6700XT for my machine and was planning on having that be running the windows VM with the 1070 for Linux, though I guess maybe the reverse might be better since that reduces the pain points on Linux even if it means gaming wonā€™t be improved as much.

Reviews are out and everywhere. The consensus seems to be AMD 70-series is less efficient than Nvidia 40-series on performance per watt.