AMD Radeon 7000 series discussion

Hello world,

So we have the RX series 7000 now. What do you guys think, other than that the name Radeon eXtreme, 7900 eXTreme eXtreme kinda sounds ridiculous.

with 999$ msrp, will it be enough to eat marketshare?

What are you, Steve?

They target to compete with the 4080 (1200 USD). If they can deliver that level of performance for a lower price, then of course they will be selling well. How much market share they take depends on a lot of things.

I personally donā€™t care about all the NVENC, RTX (voice, video) features. And I guess not every gamer is a streamer either. But I donā€™t really know the market. Maybe the Advantage programme will take the prebuild market by storm, maybe not. DIY is just a small subset of the market.

My 2060 is perfectly fine for 1440p gaming and Iā€™m not really tempted to upgrade. Anyhow I will be waiting for 60-class GPUs. The top of the line, halo products are just a sneak peak at next gen midrange performance.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like they all think the primary tech audience 8 years old.

1 Like

Here, a little bit of history.

ATi/AMD using PRO, GL, XT or XTX to designate chip bins goes back decades, and that naming convention for the cards themselves nearly as far. This isnā€™t new, but I suppose if youā€™re too young to remember when this was introduced it may look strange to you now.

10 Likes

Does anyone have experience of how long time it takes before they release lower end cards.

I kind of have a thing for the lower end or at least middle of the road gear in this department. Just put together a PC with a used RX 6600 and like the performance combined with low power requirements here. :slight_smile:

Damn, u uncloaked me.

Well, not sure how well NVENC works on Linux, but more sure that AV1 will, and that is supported. I will still get an Intel GPU as dedicated AV1 d/encoder.

My first card was a CGAX-something, and everything after that was nVidia and AMD. So, I donā€™t remember the ATI naming scheme, just the nVidia (GT, GTX, RTX) and later AMD (HD, RX).

Depends on the region. Europe is usually second or third place to get them so usually from release to store front is about a month or two.

I think he meant, how long is the time between releasing the high-end and low-end cards from a single generation.

It may take half a year, a year or even longer.

2 Likes

Not to brag, but I have me one of those. Iā€™ve been planing an XP gaming rig for it, but never got around to itā€¦

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing RX 7000 series and how it works with workloads other than gaming too. Last gen was not great, at least with Blender.

Iā€™m too old, officiallyā€¦

6 Likes

Saw this on Reddit. I thought I would re-post here.

GPU clock can go above 3GHz (industry 1st according AMD). That means some AIB cards might be very aggressively overclocked for higher performance.

Dual media engines. Perhaps first on AMD GPUs (canā€™t remember).

New Radiance Display Engine (aka display controller). Give folks some hope to higher power efficiency in multiple monitors support at hundreds of Hz (?)

2 Likes

ā€œPremium advancedā€ ā€¦ Fuck yeah, get your RedBull.

3 Likes

Correct interpretation. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am very keen on the 7000 seriesā€¦

I canā€™t justify a mid to highish nvidia card but based on what we have seen so far I most likely can justify a mid to highish amdā€¦ I nearly pulled the trigger on a 6800 and am more interested in an upgrade this time round from my 1080

2 Likes

Yeah like it or not thatā€™s what AMD calls it

Chill out or seek help from yeah GP

ā€œDual Media Engineā€ is just Video Core Next. The slide is showing that they added more functionality to VCN, not that they added a second ASIC. The ā€˜Dualā€™ in the name is just because VCN is both encode and decode.

1 Like

A shame they already brought back rage in the form of fury, they couldā€™ve had fully unlocked dies be the ā€œunbridledā€ versions

1 Like

Thereā€™s a chance we might get paravirtualization!

According to Phoronix, AMD is addressing SR-IOV in the AMDGPU drivers, tho thereā€™s no indication if itā€™s going to be locked to Pro stuff.

I canā€™t post URLā€™s, but their article was released 2 days ago (Nov. 5th), and thereā€™s a link to the pull requests on the kernel lore site.

1 Like

Im (for now) pretty happy about the release of the 7000 Series. 1,5 Years ago I built a new System, switched from a 1080 to a 6900XT and I wasnt happier since then.

They fixed the bad drivers, I got unbelievable performance and this card is crushing whatever I throw at here. GTA V with WQHD, Ultra took minor optimization and runs with 75+ FPS.

Nvidia can go stick it, they fucked everyone around me over with the worthless 2000 Series, then fucked us over with Scalpers and Miners in the 3000 Series, screwed EVGA and lastly present a GPU with a Power Draw of a cheap toaster from dollar/pound/euro store (choose one).

Raw power isnā€™t everything for me. I game maybe 4 times a month, I want a plug and play solution, which doesnā€™t cost my firstborn and an arm, and I donā€™t want to double my electricity bill.

AMD is not the angel some people declare them, but atleast they are trying to keep their community happy and donā€™t give a total crap about us gamers.

//also, multichiplet design will screw nvidia in the future. They can adapt way faster, can combine things more easily. Take a look at the 5800X3D, what a bit of cache at the right place can do. So im pretty stoked what versions they and their partners can throw out on the market.

7 Likes

History repeats when nividia drops prices and people scream

I am very disappointed with AMD; I was hoping AMD would be the cheaper option this time around. They are not. Why spend the same amount of money for a 7000 XTX when for a few dollars more, you can purchase a Nividia 4080? The Nividia 4080 will have better video support and Linux support.

Was plotting, on making an olden-time XP-Box [AGP slot, etc]
The pricing got noticeably stupid, either collector hoarders or people on nostalgia trips

Made use of an 4890 [ref-baseline spec; not a 1GHz chip], in my XP-Boxā€¦ Issa brute

2 Likes