AMD FX-9590 Going to buy

Im looking to buy AMD FX-9590 what do you think and what do you mean about cooling it whit Noctua NH-D14.

Don't buy a 9590. The power requirements of the part combined with the price to performance ratio make it completely redundant in the current cpu landscape. If you want to buy a $200 processor, your better off going with an I5. If you really want to do the whole AMD FX thing, than go with an 8350, 8320/E, or 8370/E. The 8350 can be had for $70 less than the 9590, and the 8370 can be had for $50 less. The price difference between the 8350/8370 and the 9590 make it completely noncompetitive. If your shelling out 9590 money, your much better off picking up an I5 or Xeon E3v3 chip.

4 Likes

What @thecaveman said. Or wait for Zen.

Here's the thing about the AMD chips: all the FX skus are the same design, same chip, same manufacturing line. The only difference is how high quality they are. If you're not chasing 8GHz, don't get a 9590. If you're looking for a stable gaming rig, look at the 8320 or 8350 and that will do everything short of the most intensive situations. I've got an 8320 that I hit 5GHz on with a hyper 212 evo. Sure, it runs hot, but in the winter, that's welcome.

In my opinion, you should go with @thecaveman's suggestion and save your money and either buy an 8350 or wait for Zen. Waiting for Zen is probably your best option if you can.

To answer the second part of your question: the NH-D14 should be able to do a good enough job cooling the 9590, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to get one.

i thought it would be good choice because i do a quite a bit of 3D and video editing.

What do you think about FX-8370 or AMD FX-9370. Or do you still recommend 8350 for the price difference is not such a problem whit me but im sticking with AMD become a already have the bild.

If you need a new CPU right now, go Intel, but if you can hold on for 8 more months get Zen.

Bulldozer is garbage now and it wasn't even good when it was new even if you compare it to AMD standards, the Phenom II was a better CPU than Bulldozer.

i thought it would be good choice because i do a quite a bit of 3D and video editing.

What do you think about FX-8370 or AMD FX-9370. Or do you still recommend 8350 for the price difference is not such a problem whit me but im sticking with AMD become a already have the bild.

The price of intel is pretty hi now. The problem is that i have AMD rig and want to change the processor to put my old on in another pc so it makes no sens to go on intel now.

For me it worked fine in work a lot in 3D and animation video ad i had no problems is still pretty quick even whit gaming i have no problems.

Yes will go on zen probably when it comes out but for now i need a quick change because of another pc build that can not wait for 8 mounts.

Im focused for best performance version so it will work grate price does not meter. Now i use FX-8120

It's not even 8... May be 5-6 max...

Yes but need processor for another pc so its god to update my pc if i have a chance i think.

The problem whit zen is new socket and i dont want it because i have two pc on AM3+ im not looking to do a new build.

I would still bot jump to the hugely expensive and problematic to cool and power 9590... I would rather go 8350... It is still a jump from 8120... Depending on the price, 8370, but that is purely depending on the price...

psycho_666
I would still bot jump to the hugely expensive and problematic to cool and power 9590... I would rather go 8350... It is still a jump from 8120... Depending on the price, 8370, but that is purely depending on the price...

Yes i agree whit you. I think that for me is probably the best choice 8370. The difference 8370-219 € and 8350-195 € so its better to buy 8370.

AM3+ is garbage and you're better off using the same CPU you're using now and you'll get diminished spending $220 on an 5-year-old old CPU architecture that was shitty when it was new.

Do you really want to spend $220 just to make your shitty computer less shitty? I don't mean to insult you by insulting your system, but I went from an Athlon II x4 to a Phenom II x6 for $100 and I kinda regret it. I'm also not bagging on AMD just to bag on AMD, I'm actually saving up for Zen/Polaris.

The thing is, that 83xx is still beating Intel in heavy multithreaded, basically because Intel sells dual cores for that price...
The architecture was shitty when it came out, because at the time everything used one or two cores. Now most software is multithreaded, and my guess is i3 in his country costs 250+ and have only 4 cores and requires change of motherboard...
Basically 8120 can still do the job. 8370 will be improvement, but it will not be greatest thing since sliced bread...
Selling the 8120 used may take down like 100$ off your back...

1 Like

FX8350 / 70 would indeed be your best choice in this case.
If switching to X99 is not an option for you.
FX9590 realy has no reason to exists.

yes its not worth in this moment because i have pretty good motherboard a lot of ram. And switching how to x99 it will be throwing out a lot of cash it is just not worth at the moment maybe in a year or two but then we will se what we have to choose.

@commodore256 yes it is throwing out the money but also building a new x99 pc.
My pc now runs pretty much everything on ultra on 60 fps. So it makes no sens to go on x99. The new processor is just to squeeze out some more speed in rendering, video editing, 3D and similar stuff like that.

@psycho_666 Im considering to buy 8370 because i need to reuse 8120 in another pc thats already build and has no processor.

@MisteryAngel @psycho_666 You guys I fully understand me.

The Fx-9590 CPU was selling cheap back in early 2014 at a England website so I got it. I have turbo mode disabled because I found out the CineBench R10 Multicore bench mark runs about 4 percent faster. Intel CPUS are definitely faster, but for now I am sticking with AMD as same way people stuck with Intel back in 2005 and early 2006. I think Intel CPUS will always have an edge over AMD, until AMD start releasing their CPUS on the same manufacturing process or better. If you can't wait for Amd Zen Cpu then a FX-9590 is a good cpu, I don't see my energy bill increase when I got the Fx-9590 cpu. The Noctua Nh-d14 would probably would work, but I would go with water cooling instead. High end CPU heat sinks quite often can limit what type of memory you can put into your system because it can take up so much room. Also water cooling keeps heat away from the motherboard, memory and video card. I would get something like Akust wc00-0005-aks cpu cooler or custom build your own cpu water cooling system , I like this cooler because you can easily refuel the water-cooling fluids if need be. Get a good power supply, and I would recommend Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 AM3+ motherboard.

1 Like

You should just get the 9590 cause it's badass. Or do the smart thing and get Intel now or wait tell zen if it's going to be half decent.

@slater567 i also have mode disabled and nicely overclocked and it works pretty fine my pc sit still one off the best form the people i no and a lot of them also wok whit video and stuff. I think its beter to use this platform until it there is great performance and weight for another year or mor and then wen stuf gets slow cohos the best platform and make a new bild

If you are in the eu I know cex in the UK have 9590s in stock for £115. These are second hand bit have a limited warranty (3 months I think).

Provided you don't pay top dollar I think the AM3+ platform still has a place for people who want good multithreaded performance.

@SiK I'm basically in the same boat right now. I'm running an 8320 on a brand new MSI 990FX Gaming board and I have another part-built rig with an AM3+ board in it that needs a CPU. I'm probably going to get the 9370 or 9590 and move my 8320 to the other rig and use that as a dedicated linux machine.
I'll just run the AM3+ socket at it's absolute fastest until either it gives up/fails or I can afford a whole new build with new architectures, whichever comes first.

Also I don't know if you already have one, but my NH-D14 is keeping my 8320 at 25C under 'medium' load with OC Genie enabled (4ghz). It sits at around 35C whilst playing GTA5 at 1440p on high settings. I would imagine it could handle the 9370/9590. Saying that; I can see why people tend to recommend water cooling with them.