AMD Epyc Milan Workstation Questions

How is the noise level now compared to when you had orange dogshit fans? I see that those INdustrial 3000 are a bit on the expensive side

The Noctua Industrial fans ARE noisier than their consumers fans. But certainly much quieter than the typical 8000 rpm screamer server fan.

The Noctua fans are bullet proof. I have some that have been running non-stop for 10-15 years now. As long as you can get past the ā€œcould care less what you think of the brown-tan colorā€ scheme and just concentrate on the performance, noise characteristic and the longevity, they are a good choice for fans.

Plus the IPPC fans often come in a black frame with only the mounting corner dampers being a dark brown. So a lot less objectionable if you care about looks.

3 Likes

Noise depends entirely on which RPM you run them at, as with all fans.

As Iā€™ve mentioned before, the Noctua fans are the best out there in terms of airflow & static pressure/noise.

I run the 3000rpm IPPC versions as my machines are often operated in hot environments, sometimes requiring extra RPM to keep the 1KW of heat output in check. I use the BMC to manage fan speed curves.

2 Likes

Often overlooked but basic knowledge. Many ā€œsilentā€ fans out there are just silent because they are capped at 1200rpm. Noise per rpm bracket and static pressure are the only metrics that count for me. I donā€™t mind 3000rpm fans or radial blowers if they are good and not located in my living room. You just know if youā€™re dealing with proper engineering.

4 Likes

Sorry for being late to the party, work has been crazy lately. Just wanted to contribute that the kind of header (the connector, not what feeds it) mounted on the board is rated for 3A continuous, per pin, with 5A peak. HOWEVER this vastly depends on the quality of the female contacts in the connector you plug onto them.

Side-effects of exceeding those values include arcing, resulting in contact erosion, resulting in contact death, resulting in fan stopping, and so on. Been there, done that, got the postcard.

On a semi-related news, my ROMED8-2T is still rock solid and Iā€™m still very happy with it.

3 Likes

Yes I understand this. My question was if you can compare the stock orange fans with those as far as noise if they both run at max speed. Just to know what I am getting into because this is allready on the limits for me as this is a workstation that is 3 m from me :slight_smile:

The fans inside those orange carriers are sat in a box full of other junk, never to be turned on.

Donā€™t waste your time with them.

Like I said, you can create your own fan speed curves via the onboard BMC, and make the Noctua fans as quiet/loud as you want.

1 Like

I see new Bios and BMC files for the Asrock RomeD82T (ASRock Rack > ROMED8-2T). Always a little bit weary of updating systems that workā€¦(If it ainā€™t broke,ā€¦), especially with the many ways you can update bios and BMC files for this board.

Anyone already updated and what method did you use?

Bit late to the party but Iā€™ve recently acquired a ROMED8-2T with a 7551. And as some in this topic Iā€™ve encountered some issues with fan control. Iā€™ve seen a post of @Nefastor with BMC version 1.11 in May 2021. Would you be willing to provide me with a link to that firmware? :slight_smile: The link is (understandably) dead. Iā€™ve tried the other firmware from Asrockā€™s website but 1.10 is the highest I can flash it to. I think because itā€™s a Napels CPU?
Also, regarding tweaking the fans in the orange cases. Check out this blog from cavelab / Thomas. Heā€™s worked out how they are connected. Iā€™ve used his guide to get the fans to quiet down. But the idea should work in more Inter-Tech cases.

PS. Made an account just to ask this. Wendell finally convinced me after a year of catching up on the L1 channel.

1 Like

Thought you should know. There is a version of ROMED8-2T coming with Broadcom NICā€™s
ROMED8-2T/BCM
New Launch_20220810.zip (2.5 MB)

3 Likes

been using a dual epyc as a workstation/server for almost 2 years now after first considering the 3990x. first ran win10 on it(i know i know) then switched to ubuntu, and kvm/qemu with passthrough gpu/nvme/sriov-nic for the windows workstation for pretty much bare metal performance.

its been been a rock solid on the gigabyte mz72 board after initialing using the supermicro h11dst that was a bit lackluster. consider upgrading to milan now that theres cheap 2nd hand cpus on ebay.

Aslo watercooling the whole setup was quite the adventure. dunno if it answers the question other than epyc abselutly beeing great as a workstation, and much more affordable than TR pro if you dont mind ebay cpus.

5 Likes

Yes, I saw the new board on their product pages a couple of weeks ago. Explained why I could not find a ROMED8-2T anywhere in the distribution channels. They were getting ready for the new release version with the Broadcom 10Gbs LAN chip vice the old Intel x550 chip.

Looks indentical to the original release other than the new LAN chip EXCEPT they dropped the USB C port on the I/O panel also.

Interestingly, it first showed up as ROMED8-2T R3.00 and then got renamed to ROMED8-2T/BCM; you can see itā€™s marked ā€œREV. 3.00ā€ on the board in the pictures. Separately, Iā€™ve seen two reports that ASRock Rack Europe Support has told people that a performance regression with Milan chips was a hardware issue and required a board new revision to resolve.

So far I havenā€™t been able to get any details on the supposed issue or whether this new version is related. Comments about the X550 integration like this donā€™t inspire a lot of confidence, but they seem to be replacing the X550 across all their boards, so it could just be a supply change too.

Aside from replacing the X550 with a BCM57416, and dropping the ASM3142 USB-C controller, they appear to have populated a second thermal sensor header.

1 Like

Really shit that theyā€™ve killed the USB-C port and ASMedia controller, along with the internal 3.1 Gen2 header, especially in the context of a workstation build.

Now Iā€™ll need to burn a PCIe slot for a USB host card.

3 Likes

Same sympathies here. I barely manage to get all my USB devices connected on my ROMED8-2T and that is with a USB-C to USB-A adapter plugged in.

Any more connections will force me to burn a PCIe slot for a USB expansion board also.

2 Likes

No one?

1 Like

No reason to update unless you are going to use one of the new Milan-X cpus.

Only thing that was updated in the BIOS. Just the ability to recognize the new cpu IDā€™s.

I know, thatā€™s exactly what I need it forā€¦

I updated a new board, which isnā€™t terribly interesting since I had no settings to preserve and therefore had it reset everything. No trouble doing both BIOS and BMC with the IPMI web interface.

The changelog is as typical for these things: wildly incomplete. I havenā€™t done a thorough comparison, but for BIOS some settings rearranged, some additions, some removals. E.g. thereā€™s a new setting to enable/disable onboard VGA. I donā€™t recall noting any visible changes for Megarac, although the sync toggle seemed a little flaky by default. (Could have been a browser issue, I didnā€™t investigate.)

2 Likes