AMD CPU Road map *SPECULATION*

I heard socket AM4 is going to last at least till 2020. How long will the TR4 socket last? Does anybody know? Google can’t give me a precise answer.

he wasn’t ceo for long enough to effect the direction of their uarch, from design to tapings takes years

1 Like

Well, it all depends on their design changes, but basically 2020 is when they plan on mass producing DDR5 so my guess is non of their sockets will survive past 2020…

1 Like

Thats the thing: it makes sense what you say. But did they actually promised it like they did for AM4?

No, but then again, they have not released a new chipset for Threadripper 2000 like they did with Ryzen 2000. Honestly I think they should have, cause they just doubled the core count out of nowhere…

1 Like

I think Buildzoid, and also Wendell in a video said the VRM/power delivery situation for X399 looks good for a few more years to come. Thats why I asked.
Cheap B350 and X370 motherboads instead could already lack stability for overclocking with Ryzen 3xxx if AMD keeps pushing with a potentially 10-core 2800X and maybe later with a 12-core 3800X.

Actually they don’t…
7nm process lower the power consumption 40%… So AMD can increase the core count with 40% and still have the same power consumption compared to the 14nm.
That roughly means my crappie VRM B350 board can easily support the future 12 core on 7nm, cause it does just fine on the 8 core today. And on top of that if Ryzen 3000 have power usage optimizations that may lower the footprint even more, but let’s be pessimistic and say 40% is the total they get from both architecture and process node shrink. Still perfectly fine. 12 core on 7nm eating as much power as 2700X now on 12nm…

1 Like

I hope so. Even 40% sounds too good. But they kept promise with the IPC. So maybe …
Im thinking of pairing a X399 mobo with a used (if I can find one) Threadripper CPU from last year.
Thanx for your answers psycho_666 ! Im in need of sleep now, probably going to dream about … cores.

Keep in mind they literally halve the size - 14 to 7nm…

1950X is 600$ on amazon or something… @mutation666 got one gifted to him… So it ain’t 1000 as it used to be…

1 Like

40 percent is the ideal value, but we have no idea how leaky the revised uarch is going to be on the new process, and heat density is going to be higher regardless (square cubed law)

there are like 4 different 14nm processes, none of which are actually 14nm (intels is the closest)

so no, not literally halving

2 Likes

Their 7 isn’t quite 7 either, so there’s that as well…

yeah, but without knowing the actual values for each you can’t really say what %delta it actually is

Was $600 back up to $780

Remember

1 Like

780 or 780Ti? There are 20% difference…

On the whole indirect access to memory thing for two of the dies…

Threadripper has some big caches that will help.

IMHO - For most desktop style core heavy workloads, there’s intensive processing going on, on smaller amounts of data. e.g., ray tracing, rendering, etc.

This, being a desktop chip is less likely to be used for massive databases, etc. I don’t think the lack of 8 channel memory will be a big deal on the desktop. Even with TR1, half of the channels are only accessible via the “other” die…

Well, global foundries have released those rough numbers for their 7nm process compared to their 14nm process and that was I think last year…? May be even earlier…
I’m simplifying, obviously, but seriously, I don’t think the B350/450 boards are in imminent danger of having to deal with much more power hungry CPUs than they already deal with just fine.

a lot of them can barely handle R7, and if it is a literal halving I’d bet we’re gonna see octocore APUs

in which case, mosfet popcorn.

1 Like

What’s more - TR2 is actually shipping. 28 core intel desktop is not :smiley:

on 7nm vs. 14nm vs. power on old boards.

I suspect what will happen is higher core counts will be available. base clocks will fit within existing motherboard power specs. XFR2/3/4 will boost higher if power is available.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing, sign me up on my B350 ITX board!

1 Like

Oh, the apus are trouble. Most low end boards have only 2 phases on the SOC vrm and no cooling and that must power the iGPU… I understand why they haven’t made mote powerful graphics.

1 Like