AMD CPU Road map *SPECULATION*

In the real world, 90% of people buy GTX1060 or RX470/560/570 class cards for gaming.

And they do a fine job at 1080p. The most common res on steam is 1080p.

Just because AMD don’t have a hero card at the moment, doesn’t mean they don’t have a very competitive product - for the bulk of the market.

1 Like

The 32-core, 64-thread Threadripper 2990WX will cost 1799 USD. This chip will boost up to 4.2 GHz. The model with 24-cores and 48-threads (2970WX) will operate at the same frequency as 32-core SKU. It will also be 500 USD cheaper. Both WX series processors will be 250W TDP models.

The two members of the X-series (for gamers) are called 2950X and 2920X. Both will be available under 1000 USD. The 16-core and 32-thread model will boost up to 4.4 GHz and it will retail at 899 USD. The slowest Threadripper from 2000 series will only cost 649 USD and offer 12-cores. The X-series processors are 180W

Pricing to start off with for the 2990WX is about where I thought it would be… release now at 1800, holiday prices can then be discounted to 1650 to 1700 rather easily settling in at 1600 Jan onwards.

1 Like

Yeah pretty sure they can easily sell for 1500 at a profit, but why would they when intel have nothing to compete…

At under $2k USD its still a bargain.

Steve was not on the embargo contract so $1800 is a bargon for 32 cores. How they perform vs memory bandwidth etc will be interesting.

2 Likes

Roman did some testing, so I guess he also isn’t under the embargo?

Fuck me, I wanna buy a 2990WX so bad but can’t afford one right now… Those cores tho :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Give me that 2950X

4.4 XFR2 boost !! Hell yeh!

2 Likes

That’s an Epyc server, no TR embargo to worry about.

6 Likes
5 Likes

LMAO. Sorry Intel, AMD just beat you at your own game.

1 Like

hasn’t MOAR COARs always been AMDs game tho

Yeah, but they did moar cores at stupid frequencies to set a benchmark record that won’t be seen in the real world.

Nah, if they were playing Intel’s game they’d wait to say it was on LN until someone asked them.

4 Likes

Then they would blame the presenter for the multi-billion dollar corporation casually forgetting to mention it was not on a probable user cooling solution.

I just blame Robert Hallock and/or Jim Anderson for everything.

I think they still can pin a thing or two on Raja…

Yes, but now they actually have the performance to back it up… Also out of pure necessity they have better multicore design that is both cheaper to manufacture and easier to scale than the Intel wasteful 10 years old architecture.

1 Like

I think he’s gotten enough grief. And frankly I’m not unhappy with or butthurt over Vega.

I can’t really blame him to be honest.
He is more a victim than actually an initiator or something. I mean at the time he took over there probably were plans already all the way up to and even beyond Navi, so all he can do is work with what he have. Keeping in mind they were bleeding money like crazy I don’t really blame him for not kicking the crazy profitable Nvidia’s ass. You can only do so much.
On top of that, AMD is still multi billion dollars company with thousands of employees. Blaming failures on one person is not really good idea…
Just like success. Who helped more? Lisa Su, Jim Keller? I think it’s more of company wide effort with a help of, as Keller himself said, his team…

1 Like

I agree, these projects are far too large to pin on a single person.

2 Likes