AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

So you only need a 1/2 hp chiller with legal refrigerant to reach the advertised 5ghz.

1 Like

In addition to the chiller, you probably need to also win in silicon lottery.

Assuming only some of the extreme core count dies can be used as these high-clocked i9’s, I bet out of even those, only a fraction can sustain stable 5 GHz on all cores - regardless of cooling and power delivery. For their demonstration, Intel surely picked the best overclockable CPU out of hundreds, if not thousands specimens.

I still remember when people used to say that it doesn’t matter what AMD puts out, Intel’s probably got some secret super technology tucked away in case a competitor releases something. The most hilarious thing is that most tech experts on the internet were saying that. And since then the only thing that Intel had that no one saw coming was Meltdown and Spectre :rofl:

2 Likes

1 Like

Well they did have secret super technology tucked away nearly out of sight… its called a chiller.

1 Like

Brown trousers time for Intel

$1,752.81
ÂŁ1,324.25

Does anyone seriously think intels 28 core will be ‘competitively’ priced :smiley:

Seriously?

That would be a HUGE price drop on the xeon part

I am laughing my arse off, your move Intel :smiley:

5 Likes

Looks like my price prediction wasn’t too far off if that is MSRP.

2 Likes

Note that all stores in the EU selling to consumers are required by law to include the value added tax in prices. (This is the “inkl. MwSt.” under the price on the above site.)

German VAT standard rate is 19%, so without tax the price becomes 1509 / 1.19 = 1268 €.

With a 1.10654 USD/EUR exchange rate (offered by my bank at the time of the writing), it’s equivalent to $1403.

Or for 0.84149 GBP/EUR it becomes ÂŁ1067 (tax-free). Add the UK standard rate VAT of 20% and you get 1067 * 1.20 = ÂŁ1280.

Yup, i predicted TR2 at 1500 ish USD as well, as it is essentially 4x ryzen 2700x dies with some glue logic, minus the shipping, marketing, logistics, etc. of 4 processors in the supply chain.

AMD is killing it.

Killing it and making it known in very blunt terms.

11 Likes

ouch. i could feel the intel marketing team have a stroke from here XD

3 Likes

“Damn hippies and their glued cores.”

2 Likes

Infinity Glue™

3 Likes

Just like how Thanos ‘glued’ the infinity stones to his gauntlet before he giga-smashed the universe.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Infinity Glue

If Intel do do a massive price drop to make it competitive what message would that send to their existing customers do you think?

The ‘poor’ people who may have purchased that 28 core xeon at full price not that long ago…

“Hey, we were charging you quite a few thousands more, cause reasons :smiley: … and stuff”

LOL What a mic-drop. xD

3 Likes

Not even sure intel CAN do a massive price drop. Well, i mean they could cut out their margin on the 28 core (which at a guess would be $4-5k off a $10-13k CPU), but i still don’t think they can get down to AMD pricing (even retail) without selling them at a loss.

1 Like

And if they drop these things to AMD prices or even somewhere close the lashing from business customers would be massive.

Can you elaborate why that would be?

Do business customers contracts that specify fixed prices for hardware ? Or just in general because they realised they overpayed?