Amarvir's Tech Blog

How so? By soldering them on the motherboard?

Is this a case of you needing to use usb-c devices on your pentium m laptop? Man I don’t know how you have that thing still running after all these years​:joy::slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Basically I’m updating laptops that are, last I knew, secure to spectre and meltdown. I recently bought my childhood laptop++and got the random idea to get a 1200G based SBC and stuff it in the CD drive slot, telnet and ethernet ports on the laptop go to the sbc to control it and to connect to a desktop of sorts, or to straight up just do vnc to windows 10 and do steam in home streaming. Some magic.

Basically I want to make something stupidly secure out of trash tha tI could then sell because I have nothing to do IRL. I need to do some dumb shit tho and you seem like you like a challenge.

1 Like

I see, your soldering skills are getting there.
Just a quick tip: Use slightly less solder. You don’t want to encase the pins in big blobs, just add enough to ensure a good bond.

1 Like

Tin the wires firs then toich them together and heat.

1 Like

When I have to replace the chip I burned on my m40 because I’m dumb ill be here for support lol

1 Like

If you actually want a USB-C port on that laptop (I still don’t fully know why) but you’re options would be fairly limited:

• Add in a USB-A to USB-C adapter off the side
  • Remove the type A port internally, and solder on a type-c receptacle
  • I don’t currently know of any third options. Would have to get back to you on that

Tesla m40?!

1 Like

Here it is… I have the chip coming (I think its the right one)…I’m going to try and repair it… see what happens, cant be worse than it is… I didnt use the adapter that changed the pin layout… it went in tight…but I have gorilla grip so…yeah I messed up.

To this end I was thinking about an expresscard adapter, of which none exist.

Similar to what I was thinking, if not willing to do

I was thinking add one with an SBC and connect modern features that way, including x64. Using ryzen you keep the specter / meltdownless approach.

1 Like

Can confirm, windows 11 is kinda shite in comparison to win10. The UI feels far more spaced out and clunky compared to what i’m used to.

2 Likes

Do me a favor, install elementaryOS

1 Like

yeh lol. To be fair I have Kubuntu installed on my USB stick for running a Minecraft server. It looks great! My only real issue with Linux is the different distros and app support on them, which becomes inconsistent and flaky.

Linux is really sorta intended for enterprise and data center markets tho, and while there’s plenty of great consumer facing versions of Linux, it’ll prob take something like ChromeOS for Linux to become more pervasive.

1 Like

Windows keeps getting worse. After Win7 I went straight to Linux.
At this point, I feel like Microsoft just wants to know how far they can go before consumers start running away from them.

1 Like

Besides spyware, i like windows 10 over 7. I guess I am a sheeple.

1 Like

Ok I know exactly what you mean and from a windows/mac/android/ios perspective, yeah sure thats great. But when you look at, say, void linux and its pretty great xbps package manager with its ability to build from source, or just download right from a build server, or look at ubuntu/elementary/any debian desktop, any linux anywhere, you realize it doesn’t rly matter anymore.

You can build from source, or install from basically the debian repos on basically any os nowadays. Its just not rly a problem if you know how, or know how to ask the right question ;3

1 Like

MY 5950X LIVES!!! :grin:
Re: 5950X post.

Now it does crash from time to time… but that’s probably due to the 2000MHz FCLK overclock and DDR4-4000 RAM OC. :grimacing:
That said the only important broken pin is the VDD 18_S5 pin. It’s a power pin, but there’s plenty more of those on the chip, so here’s hoping running default settings doesn’t cause too much instability so I can get to using a chip I have literally ZERO need for :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hey, I made a terraria world, check it out!

Terraria_World2.zip (4.8 MB)

To play in it, place it in the following folder: C:\Users\[insert_name_here]\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds

1 Like

DIY WIFI Router

9/7/21
Hi, i’m back! With it being July, it’s time to start funtime tech nonsense!
I’m looking to build my own wifi router with some sort of SBC or mini-ITX embedded board, along with using a wifi card.
My options for the wifi card are either £30 on the intel AX210 2x2 wifi 6E card, or I just go f*** it and splurge several hundred on one of Qualcomm’s 4x4 wifi 6 cards.

Here’s a few cards:

As far as a board goes, I’ve been mainly eyeing this ASUS AT4NM10T-I board:

Also, here’s a great site for better understanding wifi and how the products/marketing works: Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

The reason I so desperately am gonna get a mini-ITX embedded board is that with some of the plywood that’s lying around in my house, I can build a case for it out of that, which should be fun.

Desk

Time for a new desk. I’ve had my current one for many years, and haven’t had anything with it, with the major downside of it being it’s shallowness which has forced me into my current desk setup:

See if you can spot the phone charging dock…

Anyway, with the plywood I have lying around, I need to do something with it, so using most of it for a new desk also seems useful.
As such, I’ll need to get a good sketchup of a new desk desgin.
So to start off with, I have here a solidworks folder containing a model of that current desk.
Desk.zip (863.1 KB)

I’ll see what to do about a new desk

1 Like

Wow my desk is full of trash and shows yours up by a bit. And here I’d expect you to have a cave with what you do in here xD

1 Like