AM4 Motherboards at CES MSI, ASRock etc

A link to some info with the pics.
GN

1 Like

Yeah, from seeing only the four dim slots, I thought "well, theres not much of a bus there"
Looks like pcie bandwidth is gonna be constrained to like 16-20 lanes. Not much wiggle room for mixing game performance with storage arrays... :-(

Well, i personally dont really share that opinion.
Some of their boards are okay.
But at lower budget, i would probably pick something from Asrock.
Asrock has some pretty nice lower budget 1151 boards.
Which in my opinion are better then Msi pc mate and such.

About the AM4 boards i´m really currious to see what up with those.
Which particular vrm components they used etc.
There are some awesome products to come out soon.

Refering to the MSI VD boards, solid power delivery and USB 3.1 for around $60

Only thing it lacks is 3000mhz RAM support
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2sX2FT/msi-motherboard-b150mprovd

Well no 3000mhz ram support isnt really that much of an issue,
as far as i´m concerned.
These kind of budget boards arent really build for extreme memory overclocks anyways.
Allthough some of them might be capable.
You allways have to be carefull that you dont burn out the memory VR at those lowend boards.
I have to agree that Msi does often offer a good feuture set on their lowerend boards aswell.
But honnestly, Msi has made soo manny socket1151 boards its a bit rediculous.

Only one Asus board listed so far, seems weird.

Yeah i´m looking forward to this new AM4 stuff really.
Cannot wait to seem them in the wild.

Looks cool. All the features that Intel has. Only interest to me is those pcie slots. Why so few?

Also the lack of sata ports on the second msi one.

The SR7 CPU has 32 PCIE lanes, AMD confirmed it I believe. They have not told us yet how many the best chipset has. Or at least I haven't seen any info yet :)

Edit: The CPU seems to only have 16 lanes, just like an Intel consumer CPU. Best chipset adds another 8 Gen 2 though.

The second MSI has the lower-end chipset B350, it has fewer SATA. Max 4 I think.

Edit: There is a bottom line chipset, the A320, that is a little more spartan.

I'm just wait until the specs are actually released. That looks like too high end of a motherboard for the low end chipset

Nice, GamersNexus had a clear shot of the back IO of the Titanium. also some info on he VRM that MSI has confirmed.

6+4 VRM, not bad.

GamersNexus also had a shot of the backside of the MSI Titanium:

Looks like it will be two 8x PCIe for Crossfire/SLI? My old AM3+ Sabertooth had two 16x slots, although that was PCIe 2.0 so same bandwidth as 8x 3.0.

So consumer Ryzen will be very much like Intel desktop, only 16 lanes from the CPU means limited crossfire/sli options. And that only with the best/most expensive chipset X370. I'm kinda disappointed already.

1 Like

Hmm interesting.
Need to know which particular pwm is used on this board.
Looking forward to see more information about am4 power delivery circuits.

Just wating for an itx am4 board to build a lan rig on.

1 Like

Honestly i was really looking forward to see the AM4 Taichi motherboard...

I like the fact it have like a trillion power phases... I also like the way the CPU is shifted to the right side, so there is more space for the VRM cooling...
But DAMN, those AORUS boards...

I love them... Sorry Asrock... This time i'm going with Gigabyte.

OMG i have the same CRT monitor home...
P95f, isn't it?

X370 is looking a lot like the Z-series from Intel. Just enough stuff built in to be "enthusiast", but not quite enough to be the highest end.

On the other hand, if AMD made an equivalent to Intel's X-series, that would be a whole different story...

I just realized the Taichi and the Fatal1ty boards from ASRock use the exact same PCB, heatsinks, power delivery, and pretty much everything. The Fatal1ty only seems to have a Creative branded audio chip, an extra NIC, and some extra buttons and a header near the bottom. I wonder how big the price difference is going to be?