AM4 Motherboards at CES MSI, ASRock etc

Most people buying APUs (budgeteers) aren't going to be grabbing themselves an expensive monitor with DP. Not many monitors only have DP anyway.

Budget being the key word ? I have to have something robust that can run 24/7 for 5 years straight :)

Surprised MSI did not release just one last AM3+ motherboard just to mess with peoples heads.

Seriously though, I will be upgrading as soon as third party reviews come out. Lookin' at you Level1Techs!

This is starting to smack of no forward progress :( Maybe, later i guess after i build an intel rig.

There are under $150 free-sync displays

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

I love how two boards pictured = all of AM4 to you.

It'll probably run fine for that long because it's well built, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it'll break

Do you see display ports, usb type a and c usb 3.1 nvme ? all i see is the lack of and pci slots :) but wait. Lose the rest of the poor suckers such as myself that need to upgrade to something even approaching modern :( I will stop drama queening but amd is pissing me off.

My guess is that Freesync isn't going to be the main goal of the APUs. People who want it can either grab a mobo that has DP on it or build a system that would use a dGPU instead.

You realize any board with display connections is lower end APU stuff

Yes, and really doesnt matter to high discreet graphics cards.

Its two board from 1 vendor, its not the only options out there. Just relax and I am sure there will be solid DP boards.

1 Like

Just tired of waiting and they just keep dragging their feet .

CES hasn't even started, that wasn't even an official release. If by dragging their feet you mean struggling with little capitol and making huge changes to get into the current gen stuff and make it comparable to the competitors.

1 Like

Good point.

I think those are all on the X370 board at the very least.

• DP right above the HDMI port
  • Type A is under the PS/2, to the right of the display adapters, underneath the LAN, and one to the right of the LAN port
  • Type C to the right of the LAN and underneath the type A that's there (Z270 Gaming M5 uses the same setup)
  • Although not labeled as NVMe, the MSI Turbo M.2 is rated for 32 Gbps, just like NVMe.
2 Likes

Sometimes being corrected makes me feel better :) I have to chill because i am literally am angry about the pci slot thing.

2 Likes

So it'll still be pins on the CPU.

Gross.

Yeah, I'm kinda curious why MSI went the route of regular PCI rather than really anything else. I wonder if they ran out of lanes coming from the chipset and didn't want to use PLX chips for the rest?

For some reason the more I look at the B350 board the more I'm thinking that the board really should only be used for mATX or smaller.

I have seen modern enterprise boards with PCI slots and that is the only reason I can think of for a modern motherboard to have a PCI slot, because there are some PCI cards that aren't available in PCIe but are required for business use, but these boards obviously don't target that market so it is a little bit weird.