AM4 Mini-ITX News and gossip!

I´m kinda assuming that there might be a difference in the used mosfets on both boards.
i dont have information on that yet, but hopefully soon.
But if it turns out that both the B350 and X370 boards have exact the same vrm implementation.
Then i personally dont really see too much reasons for such a price difference gab.

1 Like

Because you dont want to b-thrifty you gotta burn money for that X370

Well if they have the same vrm.
Then i dont see much reasons to go for the X370 version then.
Because if they have both the same vrm components and master control chip (aka pwm).
Then you should pretty much have the same overclocking capabilities and feutures.

I feel like mini it'd is better suited to a ryzen 5 1600 and a graphics card (mid tier not rx 580)

Plus think about it x370 only is justified with the extra features not used on a small motherboard @MisteryAngel is correct here in the sense that it's better so save money on the small builds. See in previous years the extreme awesome chipsets was the only one you could cater to with people but amd got smart.. Figured out how to make a little more. Money by tiering their chipsets.

ASrock though, with the Intel Gigabit Ethernet on a Ryzen platform :robot:

instantly out of stock, FML, JUST FUCK IT. CAN SOME MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURES PLEASE START SENDING ITX TO AUSTRALIA! FUCK

1 Like

psh they dont make enough none ATX AM4 anything

what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the usb3.0 only, no 3.1 gen2, especially on the x370 that would have mountains of unused pcie lanes

From the smallformfactor.net article,

Edit: The spec sheet is correct and USB 3.1 (10Gb/s) is indeed not present. Apparently there are very strict limitations on trace length to use the USB 3.1 off the AMD chipset, and it wasn’t feasible to implement on this board.

Another interesting thing to check would be the used components for Ethernet and audio, etc.

I actually like that they did that. Intel NICs are almost always a safe bet when it comes to Linux.

Just noticed that the specs on Newegg states the WiFi is 433 Mbps for the AB350, and 867 Mbps on the X370. So there's one difference.

Aside from that, everything still looks the same.

That might be a reason enough, if you plan on using the WiFi and don't want to have a huge dongle sticking out the back. Maybe you could replace the card yourself, but I doubt that the trouble and expense is worth the price difference in that situation.

No idea, what you're talking about, have not had a single problem with realtek ethernet on 10+ machines. Old and new.

Prefer AMD firmware over Intel's anytime. I dont want anything Intel on my Ryzen system end of story.

I've had better luck with Broadcom than Realtek, and even then Broadcom was a pain to get working.

I personally prefer intel nic's.
And it seems like that the newer killer ethernet chips are also allot better then they were before.
But still i prefer intel nic´s, just had the best experiances with those.

I was going to get the gigabyte board as it has better usb ports and im ok with power placement. Unfortunately Newegg doesn't want to ship these boards to Australia so I might have to give up on this whole ITX idea. No stores in Australia stock ITX AM4 boards unfortunately, not even pre-orders, I dunno whats going on.

NZ has these boards, but not Australia.

Found one on ebay for 187aud shipped from nz, which is actually about same price or cheaper then local price of 1 store which didn't have it in stock but had pre-order option. It is also about $15aud cheaper then what I might pay from newegg if they allowed it (factoring in newegg shipping of 35usd).

Hope it turns up in decent time frame, FINALLY I will be able to take over the world!

I went with Gigabyte option in end because of the usb3.1 later gen ports, its downside is no optical audio port (I use external sound blaster via usb3 anyway) and somewhat odd placement of the 8pin power port, however its actually not that bad after inspecting my case arrangement.

PS. Australia postage is evil, it costs me just shy of $10aud to get this from NZ, but locally it would cost me 17-19aud. Quite sad situation here with postage costs, I wouldn't be surprised if we're one of the most expensive places to ship things around, in the world.

1 Like

The ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac uses an Intersil ISL95712 and Fairchild FDCP5030SG dual MOSFETs.

Since the ISL95712 maxes out at 4+3, I'm thinking it's either running doublers or it's running some FETs and chokes in parallel like the AB350M Pro4.

2 Likes

Ah thats really dissapointing to read.
Because that means thats only a 3+2 phase in the base.

It would be nice if they were doubled at least, but I can't seem to find anything that would do that. It's probably a 3+2 with the "3" having two sets of FETs and chokes in parallel for each phase, like the AB350M Pro4.

DDR4 MOSFETs look like Sinopower SM3337 and APEC AP4034 and an MPS MPQ8636 regulator.