AM4 Mini-ITX News and gossip!

If you have the board in hands then check the back side of the board arround the vrm area,
if there are any ISL6611A driver / doubler or ISL6617 phase doublers.

Still i´m kinda dissapointed that they went the cheaper route with the ISL95712 pwm.
And not just spend a few penny´s more and use the IR35201 6+2 phase flex mode pwm instead really.
ISL pwm's are not very ideal in this kind of vrm layout atall, none of them really.
Still the choice of those Fairchild powerpaks are okay.

I don't see anything :frowning:

It's also kinda weird that the Vcore VRM has one MOSFET package and one capacitor per choke, but the SOC has two packages and two caps per choke. All the part numbers are the same between the two sections.

1 Like

Well my gigabyte motherboard has turned up, small thing aren't they. I suppose sometime today I should look into installing it, I wondering if I can get away with not reinstalling windows by some trick with hardware profiles I've done in the past but can't remember a damn thing about now...

(or just remove all drivers it seems, with Linux it just doesn't care and will work fine with new hardware installed)

So! I Have the Biostar board! It is working fine. Although I really wish Biostar made better BIOS... its kind of bad.

I am running the latest driver with the AGESA update but I still get no post when I try to set it to XMP profile at 2933mhz.
Ram is currently running at 2666mhz.

Fuckin fan controlls suck major ass on this board. and it only has 4pin connectors, so the 3 pin fans on my AIO cooler and my case fan (Fractal design Core 500) seem really loud and not dinamicly ajusting to temperatures.
ALSO I think the tempereature bug where Ryzen reports 20' C higher temps than they really are is still here.

Here are the specs I am running.

• Motherboard: Biostar x370-GTN
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x
  • Ram Corsair lpx Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
  • Corsair Hidro corsair hydro series h100i v2
  • Corsair RM 750w
  • GTX 1070 Zotac mini
  • Samsung 960 evo M.2

Insight so far.

The board is fine. But its nothing more. I will probably switch to something better from either Asus or Gigiabyte... when you can actually buy that.

Also if anyone knows any setup magic for getting the most out of ram on Ryzen. Tips would be apreasheated (:wink:

If you cannot find any doublers on the board anywhere.
Then its probablly a 3+2 phase with doubled up components on each phase.
Which would be trully sad to see.
So i guess these boards have the same vrm layout as some of their B350 models.
But they just used better powerpaks.

I dont really get why they didnt just use the IR35201 pwm here really.
Using an ISL pwm in this kind of layout just makes very little sense.

So I looked at ASRock's website again, and it definitely says it's 8-phase.

Which is only confusing me more. Every board I've seen with doublers has one chip per two final phases, as the name implies. There's a couple components that I can't figure out the part numbers on, but I don't see the three doublers one would think it would have for the six Vcore "phases". The SoC phases are also a little weird because they both seem to have two FDCP5030SG packages per phase, whereas the Vcore only has one per phase.

I might have to email ASRock on this one.

Aside from that, it's a pretty nice board overall. Components are good, layout makes sense, and most modern features are there.

1 Like

Haha also funny that they advertise Digi Power Design.
ISL pwm's are Hybrid's not fully digital.

But yeah the ISL95712 is a 4+3 phase pwm.
You cannot really get 6 phases out of it for main Vcore very clean.
Of course you could do it with 3 doublers.
But the main switching frequency of the ISL95712 pwm is only arround 300khz to 450Khz or so.
Never the less the most important thing is that they used decent Fairchild powerpaks.
So in terms of total current capabilities it should be more then fine.

As for the SOC vrm, i suppose they just took 2 phases from the +3 phase rail, and just put dual powerpacks per phase, but just one inductor per phase.

Holy dissection good to know good design choices were made.. I've been tempted to shoot for a mini it's system but I can't see my next am4 PC without that amazing corsair 570x tempered glass case..

Anyways they call it digi and get away with it simply because of the + appended indicating more then digital so they are able to say its digital without revealing its a hybrid but let's be frank there are some really really good hybrids out there

Yes. I'd love an AM4 mini-itx build. I'm waiting and hoping and praying that ASUS release a Maximus Impact variant, with M.2, but I realise that this might be a fantasy. :sob::cry:

My God; the forum is pleasantly intuitive. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I was planning to build a Mini-ITX system too, but now that I see that there are too many compromises I would need to take, I will go for a standard ATX system instead. I really want to have ECC memory support and 10-Gbit-Ethernet, which seems to be absent from the Mini-ITX boards I have seen so far.

Maybe next time :wink:

Yeah well i'm personally dissapointed in the choise of pwm here by Asrock.
It really doesnt make a whole lot of sense to use the ISL95712 pwm in a layout like this.
If they just went with the IR35201 instead, like they also use in the Taichi.
Then they could have ran it in a straight 6+2 phase mode.
That would have been way more clean and more efficient.
Not sure who´s idea that was to use a 3+2 phase mode design, but yeah.....
Its kinda stupid if you ask me.

Honestly its mini itx they sacrifice going to it.. Its also low yield and really there's not a big overclocker community using it. Think about use case.. Somebodynis going to most likely and I say most likely for a reason.. Use this Mobo in a system that's designed to be a mini every day PC or a htcp.. Both of which won't be over clocking heavily so for the purposes this design suits it and costs a bit less and also saves on PCB layers and cost of design..so from a low yield company standpoint on this particular product I can't fault them but yes I do wish they gave us more

Looks like Asus is going to have their ITX board out soon. So far the B350 has popped up:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/1901045/asus-rog-strix-b350-i-gaming

1901045_1

2 Likes

Finnnnaalllyyyy. (Now we just need the RoG)

Interesting, lets hope that Asus used a proper pwm.

more info about the asus itx boards and x370 this time too.

1 Like