Am starting to think it's the users after all.. :)

It looks like some folks got triggered, but don’t let that stand as the example of the Linux community.

I thought you comments were fair, and pretty humourous. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting read.
To start with I will say this.
I hate Mac OS, Windows OS, Android OS, and Linux in all of its flavors. The word Hate is a little strong of a word, just can not find the word that would replace it.
This is just my current point of view and it changes with time.
I use Windows OS, because it is the Devil I know.
Mac OS is just a OS that is not being taken care of at all.
Android OS, wants to be IOS and fails, then we have google taker of all info.
Linux is a group of people that made there own OS and do not want people to used it till you learn all that is Linux and be one of the group, Other wise I think there would be a version of Linux that was all just point and click with a mouse and no need for terminal commands, ie Windows like, without being windows.
I know Linux can be a click only OS, because I spent time looking at commands and finding out if they equal just clicks, and they do for the most part, not always. So what is holding Linux back from being an OS for all the Normies that just want an OS that just runs programs.
Every once and a while I will look at distros and see what is new and what may work for me, still have a pc running Manjaro, to test and see and learn.
From my point of view all the OS’s need a lot of help, Linux is getting closer to being the only OS I will us, only time will tell.

My observations on this post, is when someone bashes Linux and a distro, that is will sooner or later come down to everyone talking about this distro or that distro and what they are and who they are for. It is a distro not a religion, ie all the distro’s start from the same place and are going about there business in a different way, one is not better then the other just different.

Just pulled this as an example not pointing a finger at any one comment.
I think if the conversation changes then post like this will be looked at differently.
This does seem like a very Troll post, just my point of view.

Hmm who told you this? In actual fact Debian is considered more stable that Ubuntu as Debian is not bleeding edge. they use heavily tested packages and wait long before putting them in their stable repositories.

1. Auto matic updates are not a bad thing, not being able to make it shut up and not being able to make it install updates at the worst possible time aka when you are shutting down, is

2. A system restore alterenative like timeshift is not a bad thing. Why would you not want that in the event some thing goes wrong?

3. Pre installed apps I get you on that one, though they do not in any way force you to use them. You can uninstall and install whatever app you want unlike windows where if you powershell your way out of certain apps, next windows update you will most likely find them there again.

By the way, unless you use the lesser known Mint Debian edition, you basically are using Ubuntu anyway

Manjaro more close to as you put it “eXXXtreme” than plane Arch? Manjaro is actually ridiculously user friendly. Antergos is nice too

Normally i’d pretend i “forgot” about this and move on, but again… new to the forum, don’t know the mentality round here. Plus, kinda rude to ignore quotes.
So even though i’m about 99% this is pointless;

This isn’t technical, am not skilled to have a technical conversation regarding any of this.
This OP was about what one… outsider(?), of an age and certain intellect (read: not young, not autistic-trending, not trendy, not geek wannabe, not hype influenced, etc etc [what we once called a normal effing human being]) grasps, in turns of mentality and approach, from what can be gleaned sans any expertise or aid.
General stuff folks, from what can be gleaned. This too is of import. If it’s portrayed wrongly, not said normal person’s fault either.

I used the word myopic for a reason; seems it went by most folks here.
Last, we can love something even when others don’t; we can even love something without it being perfect. Or even having to be.

A good day to you folks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You sound like me when I forgot to take my medication yesterday morning. That said, there’s tons of misinformation in that post.

Well, Okay but I am all of those things too. I do not and have not had a running Linux install for about 8 years. But when the times comes I sit down and read, thoroughly, to understand or at least try to understand the ins and outs and potential pit falls.

There is absolutely no problem being a noob, a lot of people around here are, what is not taken so nicely is people who are noobs and do nothing to help their situation and actively make it sound worse. I get it was humorous but it came across as I know it all and these are the facts which, no matter which angle you look at it from, were just plain wrong.

It came across harsh but not because that was the intention, but because the OP was so far off base that the reaction was in the opposite direction.

Edit for spelling and clarification. It would be akin to showing up on a PC forum and demanding that you knew everything and consoles are the best. Just not going to be taken sitting down.

1 Like

We try to strive for ethical, educated and succinct discussion around here.

You created a thread based off of misinformation, its okay to be wrong but it is not okay to stay wrong.

We, of this forum, attempted to correct you, to help, but you viewed this as personal?

I agree this is how you came off as well.

If you feel like you made a mistake just say so, admit fault, and move on.

You made such bold claims. Saying you’re “myopic”, is not an excuse to be ignorant. We want you to become smarter and to grow.

A good day to you as well. I hope you learned something.

1 Like

Sounds like a different OS may be a better fit.

Linux does not suit everyone. Did you ever try a Mac? Or what issues did you have with windows?

I’m certain people here would help if you post your questions. Ranting won’t get you far as you can see.

1 Like

Im pretty sure AI will be better than me on a forum this year.

Scary times for mods :slight_smile:

#RTX :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s where Lubuntu comes, in not a crap ton of pre installed apps, easy to use menu, not too unlike the start menu. light weight, no spyware that i’m aware of. for more features Xubuntu, idk if it spies i haven’t used it in years Lubuntu only lacks one feature that Xubuntu has that’s “v sync” aka the things that makes videos playback without “Screen tearing”. other wise it generally just works for web browsing and basic use.

Elementary OS seems to work alright for my older clients that have too many problems with windows. it also tends to just work.

Ubuntu presents an option for a user to anonymously send data detailing the hardware configuration of the system it is running on. This info is obviously useful. There is nothing in Ubuntu, or elsewhere in Linux, comparable to the telemetry in Windows 10.

Debian is not “bleeding edge”. A Debian release is a very conservative distribution. Few packages receive version updates during the lifetime of a release. Debian users can install two quasi-releases that track two stages of Debian’s development and testing cycle.

Windows 10, I believe, does allow a user to constrain the hours in which the unpopular reboot after updates occurs. Depending on distribution, Linux will download updates in the background, if a user opts for that. No Linux distribution I am aware of will automatically reboot during or after an update, but some updates do require a reboot to become active and an update monitor will prompt for that repeatedly.

If you want to delve into linux and arch a bit deeper, I’d suggest looking into Arcoslinux. This distro does some great things by having different install versions that get ever more advanced while keeping the user in the same ‘wheelhouse’ so to speak. It might be right up your alley.

As far as your concerns about other distros, I’ll leave those minefields alone. . .

:slight_smile:

off hand i’d say money and advertising!
there are so many distros out there that in order to get the publicity needed they would have to advertise as much as apple and microsoft.
that cost a lot of money and how can you make software free and have to pay the advertisers
the same goes with users manuals sure you can get something online but to actually print and ship manuals also costs money.
xandros linux was a good example: They shipped the cd, manuals, in a nice box but to get the distro it cost you $30.00 (at the time it first came out)
and $30.00 was one hell of a lot better than spending $250.00 for windows 98

at the present we (the linux users) are the advertisers, the teachers, guru’s and general information resource that people have to rely on.
and i can tell you it takes a lot of patience to deal with it all.

Agreed!

I found several inaccuracies in OP’s post. Since when is Debian “bleeding edge”?? I thought it was the antithesis of that!

And if someone stops reading and “never met you” the moment they don’t like something they see… well, that’s not research!

I love antergOS too! But I don’t think Linux Mint is for “morons”. You keep forgetting that you too were Level 1 (pun intended) at some point. I would agree with you if you said Mint was “boring”. “Boring” meaning “safe”. I got my start on Mint… when I was just a guy who wanted to use something different… something that was not Mac nor Windows. Mint, and Ubuntu, gave me a way to do just that, and the experimenting that started “safe”, and if it wasn’t “safe” it would never have started, has taught me everything I know (about this stuff)! It’s not fare to call beginners “morons”… they are trying to learn, and you CANNOT learn on a computer that breaks if you make the slightest mistake.

I am sorry, but you are just not seeing the “forest”, as someone pointed out. Just because you and I can run Arch, doesn’t mean we burn down every other distro, and then point and laugh at people who are trying to learn and improve. If people had called me a moron when I posted my first question on AskUbuntu, wanting to know what “sudo” was, I probably would not be using GNU/Linux today. You need to see this from a broader perspective! There are different uses, and each distro offers something that some people find useful.

When someone do something awful, like calling RMS names like Canonical did, they are promptly brought to task by others. Ubuntu had a spyware like feature, but thanks to the nature of Free Software, people forced them to revise their policy. They even had to apologize to RMS. But with the way you are trying to talk down everyone else… applying your philosophy, Canonical would simply use their financial might to wipe out AntergOS, which cannot even compare to Ubuntu is terms of reach and influence. I am not saying that Ubuntu is better, but facts are facts. You need to look at the big picture here. The way you are summarizing these things are not the way Free Software works.

4 Likes

I really can’t make much out of this. Seems to me like you are justifying your own points to yourself.

There’s no set “mentality” around here. People are trying to have an informed discussion. It seems to me like, though, that you have a certain perception and you are fumbling for ways to ignore the holes in that and justify it anyway by some means or the other.

Age, too, is irrelevant. There are plenty of people here of all ages.

3 Likes

If you make what people want , then money is not needed advertising is by word of mouth.
Example
These are two examples. Minecraft he made a game other people liked it and it went from there to 29 million copies sold, started off with no advertising money, just word of mouth, then later on money was spent on advertising. Stardew Valley 3.5 million copies, if he had a budget for advertising it was small.
When you make something anything that people want and they go crazy over it and tell all there friends, then no matter what that is it will become a great thing.
You make a Linux distro that the normies ie the masses of the world and not just another Linux distro for the Linux people, then you will have something.
And the easy thing for Linux to do is to ask the people what they hate about linux and stop doing those things, and also ask them what they do want to see.
Linux is good, just make it something that the normie population wants.
I am not say that every Linux distro has to change, just one needs to go in that direction, and I would rave about it and for me that is point and click windows environment, where " A picture is worth a thousand words " , because for me command lines do not speak to me.
I have deleted two other long winded replies, that goes into all my problems with Linux, and my problems with Windows and Mac are just as long, and well they are my problems.
People like what they like, finding out what 30 million people and more like is the hard part.
Just my point of view.

All you get here, much to my regret because i shouldn’t have opened my mouth, frankly no point anyway, so again, my bad entirely?

Is one guy, with just this one opinion, about what, on the surface, can be gleaned from an environment and therefore the people meant to work in it.
I neither know nor care about other people’s background.
But someone with my background and kind of thinking sees a number of things that on the surface at least coincide with a number of stances, odd remarks here and there and past personal experiences with certain kinds of people; meaning i’m not far off. Just… never much cared to link the dots if you will.

You don’t have to agree; all you need to do is not tag me when i’ve already explained myself, when i’ve already, clearly, have purposefully let this go rather than pointlessly persist. Hell, i even apologised for stirring things up, hardly the intention.
And yet here i am, explaining myself, again; to you personally this time around. Just to you.

Do you feel a change in the air? Do you experience a sense of fulfillment? Relish in some grand resolution we’d been previously unable to reach?

Most of you don’t get it. That’s fine. You folks neither act, live, think or do things the way i do; so why would you. It’s all good. Honestly :slight_smile:

Let it die, keep typing elsewhere.

Edit: On a positive side, am fine with Antergos. Been reading my ass off, lol, i’ll get it to where i want it to be. Eventually…

I agree.

My only thoughts on this are that from a lay-persons perspective that aren’t really any bad OS’s any more. OSX, Windows 10, Ubuntu et al, all pretty much work as 90% of average users would expect them to, no real need to type commands, and as intuitive as iOS and Android for the most part.

Linux as a desktop OS will not spread by word of mouth or advertising, it will spread if there are devices that people want which happens to use it. Ergo Linux is prolific - as part of Android or as the OS of IoT type devices.

1 Like

Closed at request of user.