Am starting to think it's the users after all.. :)

I think too many people are reading into this. He said from the beginning this was a hypothetical. Everyone jumped onto him without actually READING this.

That said, I think this entire post was a TROLL. It was worded specifically to infuriate everyone. Especially the Ubuntu users.

Considering his entire response was very well worded, and worded so well as to try to slyly insult people while still coming across as pleasant gave it all away.

I as a new user, can attest that his musings were false, plain and simple. Iā€™ve tried every distro I could to come as far as I have, and I landed on Ubuntu BECAUSE itā€™s dead simple. Which is why his Ubuntu comments made me rage.

But I held back and waited to read the rest of this discussion. And itā€™s become painfully clear this entire article was made to watch everyone flame him and his ''uninformed opinions from redit." so to speak.

And Iā€™m sure heā€™s happy as a pig in slop that alot of you fell for it. Hell I fell for it. I just had the fortune of a mindset that stopped me from posting immediately before reading the rest of the thread.

Well played dude, well played.

8 Likes

linux is different but not difficult, getting used to the differences is actually the most difficult part for former windows users.
learning command line can be daunting if youvā€™e never used it before, but anyone who has ever used dos or windows terminal can learn it easy.
originally linux and unix were designed for programmers and coders and its these guys who wrote graphic user interface for their programs.
expect things to be different and dont be afraid to explore the distro,
join the user forums this is the easiest place you can get help for your distro. contacting the developer on the other hand may get you chewed out a little because they will expect you to be at least as capable as they are.
while some may be helpful to you many may not have the time to answer your questions.

And you start out accusing others of being presumptuous?

Mate, you got called out because you stated a bunch of things that are either misinformed or outright blatant lies.

Iā€™m not sure why you think thereā€™s some hive mentality here, but to start out with a bunch of bullshit and then claim you posted it to avoid the hive mind is just insulting.

If you want to start with Linux, start with Ubuntu or Debian stable in my opinion. why? because ubuntu is the best supported distribution by any software you may want to run. Debian is ubuntu without the commercial stuff.

That said, i used to run an ISP on Debian sid back in the early 00s and not much broke. But that was headless server stuff, X11, GPU drivers and the desktop environment is a lot more fragile.

I think you are right.

6 Likes

Good luck.

I enjoyed Antergos for quite a while when I first started. The user repository was real nice to easy mode different software.

Fedora is not bleeding edge either.

1 Like

Being a non-geek does not excuse bad information. If anything it compels you to research more. The community should do anything in its power to help a new user but cannot be compelled to fix such bad information cause in the end of the day it will be the only thing that you will be doing.

The info you are presenting on this post (hypothetical or no) are of the same quality as a flat-earther argument. You do not argue with thatā€¦you just ignore. I am absolutely sure that most non-geek older persons are more than capable of doing actual research and find much more accurate and valid information. It definitely does not account for the majority or the masses of the average user.

If you are not presenting this post as a hypothetical scenario then you should do your research better. You are basically sabotaging yourself.

To be perfectly honest i am not sure what the point of this post actually is.

Hahha it is based on one of the most stable, from an outside noobs perspective, distros, RedHat, the darling of industry.

tangent: i thought that was the point of fedora vs. RHEL?

If itā€™s not bleeding edge, then shit, their release guys must be incompetent because iMHO it has broken on updates for me a LOT.

The bleeding edge would be Rawhide.

Standard Fedora would fall under testing. I believe.

1 Like

It definitely is bleeding edge compared to RHEL and Debian, but they prefer the term ā€œleading edgeā€ because stuff doesnā€™t break. Rawhide is technically bleeding edge but my experience with it wasnā€™t so bad

2 Likes

You beat me to it

They have testing repos for that. From a RHEL server perspective, yes it absolutely is for testing. From an end users experience, it is a perfectly usable as desktop OS (My distro of choice)

1 Like

Fedora also has a testing branch.

2 Likes

so their release guys are just incompetent then, and it isnā€™t the bleeding edge software at fault for all the breakage i have seen from Fedora 28 patches :smiley:

Ahh okay, so standard fedora would be stable:latest

Fedora testing is testing

Fedora Rawhide is bleeding-edge

and RHEL is stable:old

Would that be a good way to sum it all up?

2 Likes

I think so. It gets a little more convoluted once you try and place Fedora Server and CentOS but yeah thatā€™s about right

1 Like

It looks like some folks got triggered, but donā€™t let that stand as the example of the Linux community.

I thought you comments were fair, and pretty humourous. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting read.
To start with I will say this.
I hate Mac OS, Windows OS, Android OS, and Linux in all of its flavors. The word Hate is a little strong of a word, just can not find the word that would replace it.
This is just my current point of view and it changes with time.
I use Windows OS, because it is the Devil I know.
Mac OS is just a OS that is not being taken care of at all.
Android OS, wants to be IOS and fails, then we have google taker of all info.
Linux is a group of people that made there own OS and do not want people to used it till you learn all that is Linux and be one of the group, Other wise I think there would be a version of Linux that was all just point and click with a mouse and no need for terminal commands, ie Windows like, without being windows.
I know Linux can be a click only OS, because I spent time looking at commands and finding out if they equal just clicks, and they do for the most part, not always. So what is holding Linux back from being an OS for all the Normies that just want an OS that just runs programs.
Every once and a while I will look at distros and see what is new and what may work for me, still have a pc running Manjaro, to test and see and learn.
From my point of view all the OSā€™s need a lot of help, Linux is getting closer to being the only OS I will us, only time will tell.

My observations on this post, is when someone bashes Linux and a distro, that is will sooner or later come down to everyone talking about this distro or that distro and what they are and who they are for. It is a distro not a religion, ie all the distroā€™s start from the same place and are going about there business in a different way, one is not better then the other just different.

Just pulled this as an example not pointing a finger at any one comment.
I think if the conversation changes then post like this will be looked at differently.
This does seem like a very Troll post, just my point of view.

Hmm who told you this? In actual fact Debian is considered more stable that Ubuntu as Debian is not bleeding edge. they use heavily tested packages and wait long before putting them in their stable repositories.

1. Auto matic updates are not a bad thing, not being able to make it shut up and not being able to make it install updates at the worst possible time aka when you are shutting down, is

2. A system restore alterenative like timeshift is not a bad thing. Why would you not want that in the event some thing goes wrong?

3. Pre installed apps I get you on that one, though they do not in any way force you to use them. You can uninstall and install whatever app you want unlike windows where if you powershell your way out of certain apps, next windows update you will most likely find them there again.

By the way, unless you use the lesser known Mint Debian edition, you basically are using Ubuntu anyway

Manjaro more close to as you put it ā€œeXXXtremeā€ than plane Arch? Manjaro is actually ridiculously user friendly. Antergos is nice too

Normally iā€™d pretend i ā€œforgotā€ about this and move on, but againā€¦ new to the forum, donā€™t know the mentality round here. Plus, kinda rude to ignore quotes.
So even though iā€™m about 99% this is pointless;

This isnā€™t technical, am not skilled to have a technical conversation regarding any of this.
This OP was about what oneā€¦ outsider(?), of an age and certain intellect (read: not young, not autistic-trending, not trendy, not geek wannabe, not hype influenced, etc etc [what we once called a normal effing human being]) grasps, in turns of mentality and approach, from what can be gleaned sans any expertise or aid.
General stuff folks, from what can be gleaned. This too is of import. If itā€™s portrayed wrongly, not said normal personā€™s fault either.

I used the word myopic for a reason; seems it went by most folks here.
Last, we can love something even when others donā€™t; we can even love something without it being perfect. Or even having to be.

A good day to you folks :slight_smile:

2 Likes