Alien Phoenix game engine. Phoenix USC

This is where it gets a little complicated, when having over head components in the map. ISO is 2D so the trick is layers. All the overhead objects are on a separate layer. It make s this kind of thing possible. :slight_smile: Alien Phoenix supports layering out-of-the-box.

This is sort of what I want to do for ISO bases. Top-Down and ISO for maps. This ISO layout with overhead level is what I would like to see for Phoenix USC. The editor will be functional this month so everyone will get a crack at there own map versions. Should be fun. :smiley: For coding you should really love the in-game editor as part of the framework. It makes life so easy for a coder to have this kind of option for both the author and the user. Especially the end user.

Here I have the editor running on the Chromium web browser, 1080p at 60FPS. The game engine and editor run great in isometric mode. So will the game. :smiley:

1 Like

Oh ya. Liking the lighting effects. :slight_smile: The same lighting techniques used for top-down basically work fine with a little tweaking. Here shown testing bump mapping and such. Love the look.

1 Like

1st attempt at using Isometric mapping in Phoenix USC and a test of lighting. All seems to be moving along nicely. Off to deal with ISO ship design. :slight_smile:

Widescreen 5760x1080

1 Like

I am working on a slightly different technique for mapping isometric tiles in Alien Phoenix. Using a volumetric approach is showing lots of promise.

Testing here using only isometric blocks. Checkout the lighting, early but in. :slight_smile:

Here same mapping technique but no lighting (a little on floor) and free form.

Here is a little video showing a 48 frame ship animation in an isometric example.

All for now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fine tuning lighting. Amazing for 2D! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My first ever let’s build video. :smiley: A time compressed video showing how easy it is to build a project with Phoenix USC and Alien Phoenix. In about a months time I’ve made some wonderful progress.

1 Like

Current IndieDB article. On the homepage as usual. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Latest 2D isometric dev. :wink:

2 Likes

Just for fun… in wide-screen 5760x1080.

1 Like

So… That’s basically 3D just rendered in 2D isometric?

1 Like

At it’s core it’s just 2D isometric images, not even pre-rendered images but ones I made in GIMP. :open_mouth: There is no 3D involved at all, this is pure 2D with a lot of magic thrown in. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In fact a core block. This tile4 used to make above.

2 Likes

Simple! . . . and better to share.

3 Likes

Some experimentation.

More on Twitter:

2 Likes

This is likely to be the basic level of lighting detail for Phoenix USC. I’ll be making improvements as I go to shading and alike, but this lighting model works well for real-time gaming.

Totally cool that this is all 2D. :smiley:

1 Like

In w i d e - s c r e e n. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Settled on this lighting style for now. Checkout the video featuring collision. All 2D isometrics (not 3D but flat 2D images). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Faster bullets, better ship collision. :slight_smile: