A sensible view on the new YouTube Partner terms. Changes that will come Feb/20th/2018

This will be my last rant on the YouTube thing so I am going to make some valid points. I hope to engage in a formal manner than in the lounge. This will reach a higher number of viewers here and can keep this discussion

If a channel is making money and getting a few dollars every quarter of the year. Then look at it this way. If I grew a garden and made it a hobby that I enjoyed. Then decided that I wanted to go to a local Farmers Market with my stuff and sell it. Should I give my crop out for free?

If someone is working a day job and has YouTube as a hobby and with how many hours you work especially those in food service. How will they be able to meet the new threshold? Factor in sleeping, eating, doing things that keep you from in front of a PC.

These big YouTube channels that are defending these changes are coming off as rude and very demoralizing. They are acting like everyone that wants to do YouTube are in it for a get rich quick scheme. You’re an idiot if you quit your day job for YouTube and have a very little viewer base. This is coming from a guy who has very little subs, not even breaking 100. I made one video about a faulty car part on my channel and that has gotten more view than anything I had ever done. Do these bigger channels ever stop and think hey it does not hurt to dream? Instead of them coming down on smaller channels for being upset over this. How about offer advice that helped them get to where they are and say it might not work for and what you want to do. Instead of stating an opinion, being one sided, and not looking at it like hey, I know why people are upset over this?

Which brings me to this. If they really care about the newer creators that want to be a part of the partners program. Why not in this case have people make videos on how you can broaden your audience and get views by being organic?

Also YouTube has never made any public statement at all, over the broken algorithm on the platform being fixed and not rigged to snatch views from newer creators. So you can see why people are rightly stirred up about this.

endrant.exe

strykerzr350

Edited for content. Some might not be aware of the new changes to the Partner Program.

7 Likes

in all reality once youtube got taken over by google i stopped thinking about youtube as the platform that should be used to make money online with videos. but with it having mass market share i see why people use it but me never. self hosted is the best way forward in my eyes. no algorithm to deal with no demonetization for saying what you think. and no one to say you cant post that because of view x represented. no you will not have as wide of an audience but you will have tons more freedom which in my eyes trumps the wide audience if your content is good then you will get the views.

not liking the policy changes that happen on youtube and other small changes to the platform turned me off long ago. look around it is the next large censorship project of the worlds governments so think hard if you want to be on a platform that has to many restrictions on it. my dislike of large corps is also healthy never know what there greed will do next.

1 Like

I see everyone is high and mighty with Twitch as well. Guess what? They are owned by Amazon now. Who is to say they wont do a similar thing?

I loved self hosted stuff as much as the next guy. But in this day and age YouTube is cheaper than buying bandwidth for a site.

1 Like

Kinda mixed feelings on this subject, guy complains

Could you be kind enough to provide some links in your first post for people who don’t know what you are talking about ?

That was some of the rude and demoralizing defenses of these new changes I was talking about.

Did he offer any advice on how we could possibly better our channels?

Boogie2988 did a fantastic job describing why this hurts smaller channels.

Do you see the difference between Rich and Boogie. Who would you most likely consider less rude and demoralizing? This is in no way to insult Rich and I just pointing out how the video comes off.

Sure. Here is one for you and I have added one in my inital post.

1 Like

Putting your life (as in shaking your money maker) in Youtube / Google is and will be a turn your hair white direction to go.

On the positive side a new platform may rise up and give google an ingrown toenail. I did like LBRY but its UI was horrible to find content.

Vid(dot)me was going good then the owners decided to close shop.

If anyone can learn the YouTube API or learn a code similar then YouTube will fail.

As long as Google is running roughshot. Nothing will change.

1 Like

This follows the pretty classic formula of capitalism: increase working hours to get the most out of your workers.

The less YouTube pays people for content, the more content they have to produce to survive. The more content there is for Youtube to put ads on, the more money for them.

YouTubers are being subject to the same trend as the rest of us working under capitalism: work more for less pay.

YouTubers could unionize, but unionizing “the arts” is always tricky. Doesn’t mean they can’t try.

2 Likes

Creating more hoops for creators to jump through just to get paid…right.

That’s what content networks are for.

3 Likes

Youtubers could refuse to create content until YouTube addresses their concerns and greivances. This is something youtubers would have to create from the ground up democratically to work. This would give YouTubers a platform to voice themselves on and allow smaller YouTubers more leverage, because alone nobody gives a shit.

If it wasn’t democratic and grassroots it would fail because nobody would join, but more importantly it would be ineffective. Also YouTube is not going to sanction the union so I’m not sure how you think this would create more hoops.

So now we go from no money because YPP requirements to no money because not even working towards meeting the requirements. It’s very clear YT doesn’t mind losing revenue, they’ve never made a profit from advertising, the fact they still cater to advertisers is hilarious.

It really boils down to this: Companies don’t need ads on every video especially when that don’t know the content of every video their ads may be on.

Easier to eliminate the amount of videos that have to be reviewed than trying to review everything.

Major negative I see is that Animation get hurt by this since the effort to content length is not conducive to small animation channels. This also benefits low effort high content channels.

3 Likes

Clearly YouTubers don’t have any clout either because they’re unorganized, so why would Youtube listen to them either? Of course the fact that not everyone uses YouTube to make money makes it more difficult and it’s also why I said “artist unions are tricky”.

Without any resistance though we will continue to see a consolidation of big players and studios crowding out small YouTubers, until YouTube is indistinguishable from Hulu or Netflix. With the repeal of net neutrality and advertizer heavy funding model of the internet don’t expect anything to successfully take it’s place either.

That is what will most likely will happen. It will cause an opening for a new player in the amateur space, though.

Just thinking, me and a few friends have Youtube channels that are about space engineers; a game we all play. They are way above the 1000 subscriber count and have only been doing their videos for two to three years, I think the new rule change is fair because if your at the point they want you to be to get some ad revenue, you’re probably releasing videos on a daily or weekly basis that is consistent and with lots of people watching you. I however am not at their same level but thats because I dont put out many of my own videos, still have 600 subscribers but because my friend links my Channel from his because I help him a lot with his channel. Just work hard for a bit and you should be qualified soon enough

1 Like

We dont actually know this. Google doesnt disclose youtubes financial status but its been speculated that they do indeed lose money previously. I dont know if that speculation is the same in the current youtube climate. Even if they did lose money though I dont think its fair to say they wouldnt care to lose what they do make in ads.

The problem I see with this is if they tried that, youtube would want content exclusivity which would just be bad all around.

2 Likes

Already happening with YouTube TV : /

1 Like

And YouTube Red. Hopefully the change will happen quickly.

1 Like

Until they sell out because they need money to support the increasingly hefty infrastructure burden that hosting free video content creates, especially as people use the platform more

The only way to truly make a revolutionary new amateur video platform would be to distribute hosting over P2P, which decreases accessibility for the average person unless you can make a super friendly UI and way too access but I would actually be interested in something like that. I feel like that wouldn’t be impossible to make.