A keyboard that you can fully customize on Linux, and is just as good or better than System76's Launch keyboard

I really wanted to get the System76’s Launch keyboard, but it’s unreasonably expensive as someone who lives at the hat of America.

Is there an alternative that is

• Fully customizable on Linux (via an app)
  • Reasonably priced
  • Macro keys (preferable)
  • Can save settings to firmware (preferable)
  • Multiple profiles

So… imo you’re asking a lot for paying less. You can go with a KeyChron keyboard and get it somewhat cheaper than the System 76. But it won’t have all the features and the build quality. It uses QMK firmware and it can be customized with VIA.

1 Like

literally anything that supports QMK, there are 1000’s of choices.

Keychron is where I would start.

There are also lots of opensource keyboards that include everything from 3d printable PCB’s for hand wire, to just iterations on other designs.

I am currently designing a custom case based around the Hiney H87C South PCB that you can buy and solder your self.

1 Like

I’d keep an eye on availability for the Keychron C3. I have my fingers crossed that this is the example other manufacturers use to offer a decent, sub $50 mechanical keyboard for the average user.

I checked this out, but I think the V6 or the Q6 is the most appealing to me in their line up. i can’t decide between a frosted look or a metallic body…

what’s the main difference between a C model vs a K model?

K and Q have qmk iirc layout is the primary difference K2/K2 pro have a 84 key layout, whereas Q has a volume knob. C looks like your traditional tkl layout.

Don’t spend too much from Keychron. My K2 pro’s rgb leds died after only a month of use, while I was on a trip recently and customer support has been super slow debugging the issue.

Fortunately the bluetooth and cable in still work. Here’s what it sounds like despite the leds not working

The K series is much more diverse with a slew of options from size, layout, hot-swappable, backlight, etc. with @bedHedd calling out the differences with the K2 specifically (huge bummer on their support, not a good thing to hear).

The C3 model is limited in physical customization. You can only choose between Red or Brown switches and it’s a Red backlight. End of story.

If you like those standard options then at ~$35US it’s an attractive option. Otherwise there are much better keyboards with more customization out there.

– Edit –
I just realized leaving it at the above wasn’t very helpful :sweat_smile:. For what it’s worth, I’ve also been looking at the RK61 and RK68 keyboards. I’m not sure on the quality of the Royal Kludge products though which is why I haven’t sprung for them.

2 Likes

I was going to get a royal kludge 84, but returned it after hearing that it doesn’t support qmk/via

Keychron seems to be the default currently. I can say my Q3 works great between my linux and macOS machines. (I use the mac layout.)

your thoughts are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

This won’t be my only mechanical keyboard. :smiley:

My plan is to convert my keyboards to ones that support QMK/VIA in the long run after hearing your thoughts about it, and even build a custom one that has a trackpad for travel use LOL (if it’s even possible).

What Keyboards do you have now? Some can be converted without much effort, others require a full rewire of the MCU.

Cooler Master MK750

so, depending on how much you want to experiment it looks like there is some limited QMK support for this board.