A follow up post to my original Elecom DEFT M-DT2DR Review

Thixs is a follow up post to my original review of a trackball mouse that I got for Xmas.

Almost half a year later of posting the original review, I STILL HAVEN’T CHANGED THE BATTERY IN THIS THING. I find this funny.

Anyways. In the following months of acquisition of this mouse I have discovered a few things about it. A lot of people online suggest to change the ball with a logitech ball or lenovo ball (Blue M502 or Rod / Black Dot balls). I use this thing for both office work, laptop work, and to play quake. There is no reason to do this. The lenovo ball specifically doesn’t even work unless you pump the DPI and scanning resolution up in the sensor, which in turn increases the battery usage. In leaving this thing on for 7/8’s of the time that I have had it and it’s not even past half way of the battery according to the indicator light, I don’t think its worth it unless you use to scale-res of 4K or higher monitors. Personally, I’m good with hardware acceleration so IDRC all that much about changing the ball out. Its not worth the bother of going to amazon and buying one. Just change the mouse settings in windows / osx / linux and bump the acceleration up 2 notches and it fixes the issue, rather than bothering with google.

The mouse buttons haven’t deteriorated at all either. I see people online say that the buttons get mushy. Nope. Still clicky, and if anything, louder than when I got the mouse.

I thought I would regret not getting a side mount ball, but its just like my kingston pro ball still. I have the same reactions in game, just having to adjust with my thumb instead of my pinky.

The only thing I wish elecom had done, well 2 things, is integrate bluetooth, and have a button for your pinky. As a quake player thats just the position that I am used to hitting. Even when I play with my G600, the pinky button is routed to P on my keyboard (dvorak user, so R for you qwerty nerds), and M1 is reload instead, or some other bind. And this is just to emulate my Kingston mouse. The changing to thumb instead is a big change, took me a month to get used to it, but now I’m just retraining my aim.

Other than that, no complaints. Still an extremely good mouse.

Go buy one ya slut.

2 Likes