6 boots in a row I'm getting this

Yeah but when it does boot a linux live session then it’s likely,
nothing related to the motherboard.
But either the drive or the windows install itself.

2 Likes

Or UEFI forgot about the boot device.

BIOS was a lot easier, uefi seems a step back to use…

1 Like

do you only have the one m.2 stick plugged in? with windows on it

1 Like

Most likely to be one of those.

You could check the boot sequence to see if Windows Boot Manager is still on first place.

Yup…
One m.2 drive with OS and software…

Explain…

Enter into your UEFI/BIOS menu.
Find “Boot Order”
Enable/Verify “Windows Boot Manager” is first in the list.

Also make sure you don’t have a USB drive plugged in.

1 Like

Get into BIOS and search for the BOOT sequence, IDK how it’s called, but there you can choose which drive boots first, and windoes use some weird stuff that you don’t boot from the drive, you boot from windoes boot manager, check if it’s the first.

Basically if the nvme comes before boot manager it means you’ll get the message you’re actually getting now. I’ve done that once.

2 Likes

Is that what you mean?

yeah but wtf where’s windoes boot manager?

@AnotherDev HALP

EDIT: if you have any windows boot drive you should give it a go and try to repair it, maybe… let’s wait for the experts.

1 Like

Try using the second option, but I’m guessing you are going to get the same message.

Also, might be another dead end, but reset to the defaults. Should be an F key or an option near or around “Save and Quit”

2 Likes

I have restarted to default settings like a billion times…

I was using the second option…

Do you have a bootable Windows medium? You can run a repair.

@Adubs knows another way of “reinstalling” without losing data, too.

I still have the USB drive with the Win on it…

You can do a clean install right over your old windows install without ever formatting. In fact I recommend it because theres usually not a problem with the partition. This will move your existing files to a directory called windows.old and literally the entire contents of the C drive as it was will go in there. Once you have what you want you can just delete the rest.

More testing is needed though.

1 Like

That’s actually pretty cool… Does it activate automatically also?

well if it was windows 10 activation is tied to a hardware ID anyway so yes.

1 Like

Huh, I thought it created windows.old when it was preparing to update, rather than on a fresh install.

I know I ran out od drive space before when it got in a loop failing to update, because not enough space for a whole second copy

I thought a fresh install did a “quick format”?

1 Like

It will then too, and no need to quick format, just select the partition and go.

2 Likes

My guess likely just a stupid windows update that failed half way,
trough borking the install.
Supposing that you have not updated your bios lately?

I updated my BIOS last time this happened. I sent it to warranty service, they found no issue with the motherboard, so I asked them to update the BIOS and they did. Still the issue persists…
I’m willing to re-install windows completely from scratch, but I’m not sure what good that will be since the entire system gets unresponsive and I may not be able to even press del to enter bios to choose boot from usb…

1 Like