51 yr old auto mechanic builds his first PC

There's your problem...

That power supply wattage is making me cringe a little bit.

Too close for comfort.

pcpartpicker wattage is not accurate. It says my system should pull 539 watts from the wall at full tilt. BULLSHIT! I hooked up my Kill-A-Watt, fired up prime95 AND afterburner and it only pulled 405 watts MAX

doubt me do you?

Holy Shit, That thing is awesome on so many levels.

My point exactly

Took a photo of my incomplete progress so far.

I do have one criticism of the Corsair Spec Ops 2 case. I installed my motherboard and then found out that I couldn't get the 8-pin connector from the power supply to go through the hole in the upper rear corner. Had to take the motherboard back out, run the 8-pin and put the motherboard back in. Minor complaint, but wanted anyone considering this case to know that.

1 Like

Looks great, I've had that issue in many cases, now I just run my top connectors through before tightening the mobo.
Careful though, I just finished my mechanic career ( 8.5 years ) to go back to school for programming and IT. I liked building computers that much.

Newegg has the FX8350 with a $10 off promo code right now, so I stopped by Fry's after work and had them price-match it. One step closer. :)

1 Like

mini-update:

Picked up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, ASUS optical drive, copy of Windows 8.1 OEM and a PNY 240GB SSD (Decided to take the advice of a couple of posters on here. At $89.95 it seemed like good value for the money.) To show my complete noobishness, I'll be heading out to Fry's this morning to pick up SATA cables (duh).

All that's left is a HDD and a GPU (Leaning heavily towards the Sapphire Vapor-X. I took a look at it after it was suggested in this thread and it looks like a great deal).

I'm going to use the peripherals off of my existing box, but will be upgrading monitor (or monitors) as the budget allows. I'd like to try a mechanical keyboard too.

If my math is right, I'll be into this build at just a tick over $900. If it performs like I think it will, I consider that a bargain.

Make sure to read your manuals, regular blinker fluid changes just like on a car :D

Not to start a war, but building around AMD right now seems to have nowhere to go. I would take a harder look.

I'm aware that AMD is having financial diifficulties and their future in the market is in doubt. But it's too late for me to turn back now, the processor and mobo are already purchased and installed. But the AMD 8350 will suit my needs for the next year or two. By the time I'm ready to upgrade, the whole AMD situation should be resolved.

I may look at Intel for the next one.

Quite frankly i'm shocked that a thread that has been around for a month didn't get derailed into panicked screams to go Intel. It should be fine though and congrats for learning something new. At any age you can get into a new hobby. Good Luck

1 Like

For audio editing you need ram, so I'd get 16gb of 1600mhz ram. As for the GPU for some racing games on a budget you could get r9 270x or a gtx 960. Going too cheap on a brand can be bad, so buy from a brand that has a good warranty like sapphire or asus or gigabyte.

I have a question related to this build. I know it's a noob question, so go easy on the noob.

I want the SSD for the OS so it will load quicker. Where do you draw the line? Drivers would go on the SSD, I assume. Productivity programs on the HDD? Do I set up a "Program Files" folder on each drive? Obviously docs, music, pictures etc... are going to go on the HDD. Organizing them seems pretty straightforward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keep all your programs and installs on your operating system drive. Changing windows default directories for media is fine, but you want to run programs on the same drive as your OS. Depending on what programs you're running you may want to bring over a working directory on your OS drive as well. It will make accessing and saving a little easier. That's only if you notice a problem.

It might be easier since its your first build to initially just hook up the SSD and install your OS, get it setup (drivers & updates), shut down the PC, then add your spinning platter hard drive, boot back up and install your programs, if you choose custom install most programs will let you choose the path (drive) to install to. Programs that use a "Scratch Disk" or temporary folder would benefit from that disk or folder being on the SSD but depending on your work flow and the size of the files your going to be dealing with it may not make a difference. Programs like Adobe Premiere can benefit from being on the SSD but programs like MS office don't really need to be on the same drive as your OS unless you do a lot of work in Power Point.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H97gmG

1020$ including windows, not peripherals though

fx-8320
250gb ssd
2 TB WD drive
gtx 970
8gb ram
modular 500w corsair psu

It's been a while since I completed this, I finally got around to updating this thread. Sorry about the delay.

Here's my build:
Case: Corsair Spec-O2 (Not the best case, but it was on sale for $49.99 and it will do what I need)
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming (I may have fallen victim to the red bling on this one.)
PSU: Corsair CX750 (I actually regret buying this one on sale. The price was right, but I think I may go for a different PSU with modular cable capabilities)
RAM: Patriot Viper 2x4GB (Had to continue the red bling theme)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo
SSD: Samsung 850-Evo 256GB (Caught this on sale for $89.00. Really happy about that)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X (At $279.00 this was a big part of my budget, but I am happy with it so far.)
OS: Windows 8.1 with the intent to upgrade to 10 when it releases.

I wanted to keep a budget of roughly $1000 and I kept it pretty close. I spent $1075.00 for this build.

The system has been up and running for a couple of months now. I've even played with overclocking a little bit. I'm very happy with the noise level and the performance. Having the OS on a SSD has been a Godsend. I no longer have to worry about losing my data.

I can't thank all of the TEK users enough for helping me. Whether it was replying in this thread or me learning from you in other threads. I feel like my feet are under me now.

My future plans:
Upgrading my peripherals including monitor(s), keyboard and mouse.
Build a FreeNAS box.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome to the comunity.

Congratulations on your first build, it looks clean on pic and specs are good for your needs. What peripherals are you using right now and what are you planned ones?
Are you considering 21:9 ratio monitor for racing games?

PUT DOWN THE AIR WRENCH
i wonder if they make little tiny torque screwdrivers ?

1 Like