3D Printing Starters Guide, FAQ, Helpdesk, General Talk Thread

Well I was just about to do another print... I am barely half way done the roll of filament given with the product and... it powers down and shuts off... then nothing... lifeless... :frowning: I was just starting to get good too. Well I contacted them and told them what happened, I guess I wait and see...The most disturbing part was the little screw that fell out of the inside of the control box.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles after such a good start. They are pretty basic on the inside, hopefully it is something as simple as one of the screws falling out & causing the connection to lose power.

Was there any burning smells? or just a shut down?

No smell or nothing... the bottom was a little warm but I did print a couple things before it shut down. If I were to guess it feels like a fuse. The control nob was a little sloppy,,, sometimes when I push it to get to print from sd it wouldn't move. Sometimes it wouldn't scroll either.

You may find this interesting @SoulFallen

Mouse cable catching on your monitor stand?

not anymore

4 Likes

Pla or abs?

Inland PLA

Just wanted to say thank you @Mora for all of your Creality CR-10 posts. You were one of the main reasons I bought the printer before all the hype started happening. I have been printing nonstop and have been enjoying it immensely.

1 Like

Well It looks like I got a new controller box on the way...the power supply is toast. I shall be printing on the Creality cr-10 in a while.

Glad you are enjoying it. I've just finished moving house & have a lot more space now, so will hopefully be posting a bit more.

I'm also in the process of making my own hardened nozzles. I placed the order today for the steel to make the prototypes, it takes around 3 months to get here (just part of a regular stock order to keep costs down).

If it works out as planned, they should wear almost as well as Tungsten, but at a much lower price- Tungsten is a bitch to machine, especially at the size of a printer nozzle.

Did you have to send the dead one back?

They havent asked for it... I will find out in a day or two.. if they want it back...They know it is broken, cause I showed them a video... If I do no big deal... if not... I will look at the power supply in the control box. I am gonna take a wild guess and say its a capcitor ,,, maybe inductor...

I'd guess it's something as simple as a disconnected wire, seeing as you mentioned a screw falling out of it. I can post pictures of the inside of mine to compare once you open it up so you don't have to mess with the replacement one.

I Did a voltage check and the input to the silver box,,, has power but there is nothing comming out... this is why I think it is in the power supply component. But yes please take some pictures if you like.. I would appreciate it. Are you aware they have a fuse on the switch... I didn't know this... anyways it wasn't the fuse.

@Mora I know what you could do... check the opening screen when you turn on the box... if you look about half way there is i think FR and a percentage... what is FR for?

FR is the print speed percentage, it you turn the knob while printing you can make it go faster/slower.

Disclaimer :slight_smile:
Please note that opening this up will void the warranty & shouldn't be done unless you are comfortable working with & understand the dangers of poking around inside a power supply.

The inside should look like this, except for the low noise adapter. I added that for a fan mod.

Thank you Mora for those pictures... print speed is that what that is... at some point I was having issue with my knob and i think it scrolled down to print speed , but that wouldn't short it out. I am going to wait one more day for their response regarding my controller,,, and then take it apart. Thank you again

They are going to send me a new control box... it is official now... still haven't asked for the old one...I have been giving tracking number site etc... now it is a waiting game...They said parts are on back order so it will ship between now and 5 days.

1 Like