3D Printing Starters Guide, FAQ, Helpdesk, General Talk Thread

I suppose

I realize that this is kind of a deep dive into synergy type of idea, but I'm sure you know that most parametric CAD packages can be programmed to draw or can read the output from a program to create or alter a design.

At work I have done things like in order to price out a giant robotic bird,

I had to create a spreadsheet where I had three columns for 60 feet tall, 80 feet and 100 feet. The spreadsheet did the structural calcs and then output that data to Inventor to draw 3 different designs. Basically, by designing one thing the hardest way possible, my firm got 2 more designs for free.

One of my fantasy ideas for when I get a 3D printer is to create seemingly impossible 3D optical illusions based on equations. Kind of like the topological anomaly Lt Cmdr Data created to make the Borg blow their CPU mind's just by looking at it.

I look forward to making them

2 Likes

kinda want to make this

but make it on the i3 because imma be honest the trinus is a shiny turd compared to it

1 Like

I think will be better now

1 Like

What about learning 3D modeling and software?
Any recommendations?

I use Onshape

is free, is online through browser

as for learning with it...idk, I already knew how to cad

2 Likes

Sketchup is super basic & easy to learn. I like it for when accuracy is important. It does lack some features, but it's decent enough.

I made this with it.

1 Like

So i have zero experience with 3d modeling, is there a tutorial you recommend?

2 Likes

I learned Blender from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJspWFXSL1guQPdFqh4lFjQ

Anything I get stuck on, youtube is my first stop. There is a tutorial for pretty much anything you want to do on there.

1 Like

Spend $30K on an engineering degree you can't use, just to learn 3D modeling. . . JK
I thoroughly enjoyed myself so it wasn't a waste of time and I'm glad I have the knowledge.

My point is that I couldn't learn it on my own. I dabbled, but I wasn't very good (compared to the experts I admired at work) and I barely scratched the surface of what is possible. I needed a professor and classmates to teach me how and how to do it properly. That's just me, Your mileage may vary.

Now I use expensive engineering software to do art projects and toys that I should be doing in Blender or another free program. I can't figure Blender out on my own and much of the free stuff is lame, so I use the skills I paid for. I think this quote applies:

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, every job looks like a nail."

1 Like

While I appreciate the spiritual significance and sculptural artistry, I would be afraid to have that nightmare fuel in my house.

Print it in secret and in the middle of the night place it right next to your Dad's bed. Staring at him.
But wear Kevlar first.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I got the Tronxy P802M kit from ebay for $160 after shipping. (Essentially this but black acrylic)
It was pretty easy to put together considering it was my first printer.
Specs Here.
I usually print at 70-80 build speed and the detail is great.

The frame is petty solid, but the electronics are pretty budget. It's very loud even when not running.
I switched the fans to noctua and it helped a lot with the noise. I also added belt a belt tensioner to the Y-axis. (Haven't found one for the X-Axis yet) I just added on a power switch and fuse today. (I haven't mounted it yet)
I'd like to add auto-leveling, maybe change it to a bowden extruder and add support for a second filament. (Though that would require me to change out the current control board)

I'd call it a great cheap printer for somebody with even slight experience with electronics. (Even if it looks sketchy as hell)

4 Likes

Working on getting this right. Had to get a new hotend for my printer so nothing is coming out perfect yet. The end goal is to make a necklace out of this.

5 Likes

Uh oh. Getting globs and other crap. The fact that the new extruder is not meant for this printer might have something to do with it.

I don't remember how to fix this.

The joys of tuning.. I've been trying to print a large gear all night, ABS just doesn't want to stick. I'll get 90% of the base layer down, then 1 little part will screw it all up.

I head over here to try & figure things out.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

some stuff

4 Likes