3D Printing Starters Guide, FAQ, Helpdesk, General Talk Thread

Meanwhile solidworks you can get a student edition for $150, or a full license for the low price of your first born

My entire high school education was solidworks, I have skills I can't use ;_;

I'll be the same when my Inventor license runs out. I last had a class with Inventor in high school in 2010 and the only reason why I still have access to it is because of it being free with a .edu email. Once I graduate in a month I'm screwed :frowning:

Time to start a school....

I have to ask this. Did I miss on the inside joke with the missing pixel or something?

The logo doesn't have a missing pixel. The so called missing pixel comes from the logo animation.

Notice the different color of the rectangle. It is like flap. Look closely at the animation. It looks like the circled rectangle is on a hinge and moves back and forth.

2 Likes

Good catch! I just noticed that in tonight's news.

1 Like

McLaren is the first F1 team to bring a Stratasys 3D printer to the track. F1 has always taken rapid prototyping to infinity and beyond. For every race weekend the teams have private jets to bring new parts to tracks all over the world.

Now their engineers can email new parts to be printed in the pits.

Thanks for giving a better description. That was what I was trying to say in my rambles posted above.

You should start a 3d printing competition or some sort of collaboration with some programmers and hardware people to make something.

1 Like

go nuts

it uses scripting

1 Like

have you thought about doing a competition with the people who 3D print around here?

1 Like

competing with what? level of detail or speed?

this is a thing

here is how it would go. Everybody makes the coolest design they can and send it to a neutral person that then rates each creation on different scales such as usability, creative, quality, ect. The winner then wins something.

When I meant collaboration with programmers is to make some sort of electronic device with parts made by people who 3D print.

1 Like

or just upload pics with usernames in them...

by all means if someone wants a crazy RasPi case, PM me an STL

or even an ITX pc case

Do you think you would be able to organize such a competition?

I would need much more thorough requirements, with a specific goal/target, like an electronics case.

and this would kind of have to be a three way thing because unless the programmer can draw in 3D someone else will have to

so...
some programmer provides idea/concept/needed thing
CAD modeler draws idea/concept/needed thing
printer prints idea/concept/needed thing

or robots/rc things whatever

could do (if programmer can draw in 3d), programmer[s] draws thing[s] they want, forum poll for cooliest thinger ma-jig. I'll print them the thing and send it to them, unless they dont want the thing or live in North Korea or something.

I can understand that, I will keep that in mind.

1 Like

I am surprised thought there hasent been a competition yet for the amount of people who 3d print in this community. Would you consider if this say Wendell did a video of judging the prints? If you could do anything for the competition?

1 Like

he's never done anything printing related afaik

2 Likes

Great new coasters I guess :smiley: . Looks cool.

Minor criticism.
I think those distances between the L and the 1 should be the same.