38 GB Ram

Is 38 GB ddr4 Ram over kill, I not doing productivity task these days but planning to do in Future.

Thanks,
Ripu Daman

40 is going to be a hard number to get exactly.

16 is decent for most things. 32 if you plan on video editing/virtualizing.

my bad 38

I ordered 32 first but i went to preorder, I was impatience order 16 so current my system has 16 and now 32 GB order went through so either I can keep all 4 or return 16 with few days downtime(until 32 comes in).

Thanks,
Ripu Daman

tbh.. i was tempted with 64GB for my future ryzen build but the simple truth is that I have never maxed out 32GB, highest I have ever been was 22GB while rendering a fairly complex scene in Cinema4d, with photoshop, illustrator and chrome open.

Odds are I won't be going above 32GB

Its basiclly a bit overkill if you dont do any productivity workloads.
But if you allready boaght, it of course never hurts to have that amount of memory.
Wenn you ever wanne try to play with something like multiple vm´s.
Then 32GB memory becomes pretty handy.

I would constantly run out of RAM when I only had 32GB.
However, I was running 300-500 Chrome tabs.

I only have 128GB now (over 40GB in use currently). I'd have 256GB but Windows 7 only supports 192GB.
I hope to switch to Linux by 2018

2 Likes

Specs on that beast?

Supermicro X10DAX
Dual Xeon E5-2699v4 Engineering Samples (QHUP)
128GB Samsung DDR4 ECC Single Rank 2400MHz
ASUS Strix GTX960 4GB
2x Samsung 850EVO (RAID1)
2x 2TB 7200RPM drives (RAID1)
3x 4TB WD Red drives (Raid1)
LG Blu Ray Burner
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case
Corsair RM850 PSU
2x Noctua NH-U12DXi4
3% FSB Overclock

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/b8LD4D

1 Like

It make a great excuse for a second build:)

Yep...beastly. And I see you have room to grow on the RAM if need be. Mind if I ask what kid of work flows you're throwing at that beast?

I do a little video editing, some VMs, hardcore browsing (500 tabs), and a retro game here and there.

I need to find a video editing program that can use all the CPUs. It scores over 5000 in cinebench, but PremiereCS6 only uses like 8 or so. But I haven't been making many videos lately (partly because Premiere fucks up audio/video sync with iPhone recorded video)

I use VirtualBox for VMs because it works for what I need to do. But I do think about doing some of the GPU pass-thru virtualization and stuff. My only thing is that I'm an uptime whore - as you can see by my current 94 day uptime. Whatever I do, I demand stability.

I agree that stability is indeed key. I'm really wanting to get into the GPU pass through game mainly because I want to get away from windows as my main OS. Obviously I wouldn't need this beastly of a system, but a nice X99 set up would be good I think. Gives me plenty of pci-e lanes and gives me at least a little bit of longevity.

1 Like

x299 (or whatever it's going to be called) is coming out soon... maybe 3 months or so. I wouldn't recommend getting x99 anymore.

Ryzen is looking promising.. It's just a bummer that the BIOS/UEFI is in constant flux. We've had such a long time with only Intel producing new stuff, that AMD getting back in the game is problematic.

I didn't realize Intel was getting ready to update the x9 series again. I'm not in a rush, and I would like to see what AMD's server parts bring to the table. I'm very happy that AMD has managed to shake things up and I look forward to the architecture maturing.

I'm so impressed by your amount of ram and tab hunger. I thought I was a tab slut, you put me to shame.

not even my current tabs.

2 Likes

RYZEN is completely fine. I had one UEFI update on my Asus Prime X370 Pro so far. Everything works, 16GB 2666 is enough for me on that machine and 3.8 on all cores is rock stable. So it really depends on what you want to do with it and what other hardware you want to use.

1 Like

There have been actual confirmed bug(s). Not sure if you know that.

I expect that we will find more erratum as time goes on.

I am aware of that and the microcode update is already out. So, that is a non issue basically.

Glorious haha!!

Are you going to be content with 256gb of ram?

1 Like