32GB of ram installed but 15.9 useable?

No, sadly after going through a few diagnostic steps with the manufacturer it appears theirs a flaw with the motherboard so I’ll have to return it to the manufacturer. I can’t afford to be without a computer while they’re fixing or replacing it at the moment and as it still just about works I’ll wait till I get paid and replace it.

If I can.saf something here, windows used to do this to me all the time. After an update I’d always have half the ram or 1gb or it didn’t give me a number. Try booting into a linux disk and see if it canmsee all of it.

might help.

Thanks I tried the instructions in the video but unfortunately it didn’t work. I suspect it’s a hardware fault and I’m just going to have to replace it and try to get a refund on the original.

Thank you for your time in responding to me.

I’ll hopefully get some time this weekend and I’ll try a linux live USB and see if that’ll show the ram, thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

Any updates on this? I am encountering a very similar issue. I’m really not excited about tearing the system apart again because it is a custom hard loop but it is looking like mobo or cpu pins.

What mobo and CPU are you running. I had a VERY similar problem on my X399 threadripper rig. With the newest bios from ASUS, everything is fixed. I was pulling my hair out, and nothing seemed to work right, at least for any length of time, or between reboots. But after the bios update, system runs no problem (as long as I don’t overclock too fast, but that isn’t a bios problem).

Update bios first. Can actually be a bios bug.

1 Like

tl;dr I don’t know if it’s any help, but with my system it turns out it’s the CPU which is the issue.

I bought the cheapest AM4 cpu I could find to try test to see if it would recognise the full ram I’d put in. it didn’t boot with it (so I originally suspected the motherboard), I thought “well I’ll update the bios to make sure the motherboard can recognise the APU”(which I had already done a dozen times on this board hoping each update might solve the memory issue), took waayyy too long to update the bios, when it finally finished it power cycled and never came back. So while I’m returning the motherboard I bought a newer x470 motherboard, happy that my memory issue would be a thing of the past, boot it up and the issue still persists :joy: so I have one bricked motherboard, I’m down £150 for the new one and £48 for the test APU. I’m in the same position as if I’d just left it as it was. Though I’m just happy it’s working, perhaps I’ll replace the cpu with one of the new ryzen cpu’s later this year as it seems a waste to buy a new CPU now.

1 Like

That’s a total bummer, sorry to hear that man.

My info is here New build only half the ram shows up in OS

HEY! Hello. I got the same problem. 32gb installed but only 15.9gb usable. How do I fix it?

I bought a new cpu, turns out it was my 1700x that was the problem the whole time. Having tried everything else first lol. Do you have a similar hardware setup? I’m not sure if my situation is unusual or not so I’m not sure if my solution would be the same as yours. If you have similar hardware and you’ve tried all the other diagnostic steps in this thread and the issue persists it could be the same thing.

Is it just 2 sticks?

You did try swapping the modules over, in case the ones not registering are working?
And if the quantity is the same, then take out half the sticks, to test if one of the actual sockets is not reading it.
If the socket is not reading it, check the slot for debris/dust/muck.

If the slot is fine, reseat the CPU in case not all the pins are engaged, and that none of the pins/socket has and debris on them?

Then maybe look at the software solutions above?

Will try that ok thanks. I did swap them first so that one is done and still same thing. I just hope its not a MOBO thing, but either way mobo is old Asrock 1st GEN it may be time to change it. Oh and its corsair ram brand new, but I used to have 16bg before then I bought two new corsairs 32gb and only shows 15.9gb available usable. Maybe ram may be the problem but it is brand new from microcenter. My mobo is also a mini-itx so only two slots on the board. I will try that removing one to see what happens. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’d pull two sticks and see if things change.

It could be that one of your memory channels is broken on either the board or CPU, so try two slots in different combinations of slots, or maybe even one known working stick in each slot to see which slots work and which don’t.

Also I’ll just mention the obvious because I’ve actually been caught out by this despite building PCs since the 90s: make sure they’re seated properly. If you haven’t installed RAM into this board before (or even if you have), double-check they’re actually seated properly…

Will do. Thanks!

Curious, load up a ubuntu live usb and check how much ram is usable