3 Month Gnome Challenge

Yes, yes it does, however, can I not just get rid of it completely?

Then you completely lose the functionality of the program.

Its completely hidden anyway, how is it even an issue?

Not really, I can right click on my desired program and it does the same job as the gnome 2 menu, so it's completely useless.

No it doesnt. Not for the majority of programs that use it.

Looking on the web, I cannot find any programs that fully utilize the gnome 2 menu, although I have steam running they both have the same functionality, both from my taskbar.

I'm curious to know the majority of programs you refer too. (Not baiting or anything, legit wanna know how this thing came into existence)

I'm not saying its useful or anything, but its there for legacy programs. I said that right clicking a program doesn't give the same options, at all. Steam for example doesn't have a right click option.

The icons usually have options from various parts of the programs.

It'll disappear once those programs get rid of those legacy icons, but it hides anyway so ive never seen a need to care. If you really want to you could probably use this https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/967/hide-legacy-tray/

I don't understand. So if i understand it correct and correct me if i am wrong. So you took Gnome 3 and you stripped it down so its not gnome 3 anymore? isn't Cinnamon what you are looking for?

Sure, not exactly the same but...

Steam works the same way. But thank you for the insight!

The purpose of DE's is to be personalized and customized to the users liking, I did not strip gnome down, just moved things around to my workflow. Efficiency is where its at, not clutter, no RGB bs here.

I really DO NOT CARE for the "keep it original" aspect, I customize anything and everything if it's not up to par, however if your interested, I came from KDE plasma before I committed to the 3 gnome challenge, which so far, is going quite well.

1 Like

Ah you wanna stick to Gnome 3.

So a fork doesn't count? Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3.
and you're screen shot looks like cinnamon.

Nope, I don't back down from a challenge. :wink:

2 Likes

Good than i understand the motivation here!

But more people hated Gnome 3 (including the fearless leader Linus(Most people also hated Gnome 2 when it was new and wanted to go back to Gnome 1(so now Gnome 3 is out its funny people love Gnome 2 more(and am just overusing this braces in a way they should not be used(i really don't care(but to keep it short Cinnamon was the solution for those who didn't like the default look of gnome 3))))))

but good luck hacking gnome 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats a very nice looking desktop. Although you did have me fooled. I thought that was Win 10 for a second.

2 Likes

OK! Time for an update:

Got my AMD Radeon R9 390X (ASUS DirectCUIII Strix) 8GB back from repair (took around 1.5 months, yeah, I know) wacked in my rig and poof, monitors have switched sides, cool, no big deal, I'll just OMG I cannot see what's going on on my monitors (massive static), then I tried switching to Xorg, better, but with framerate drops that makes my drunken mouse putting me to shame, I cannot pinpoint anything on the screen for the life of me. So here's where I stand, a now unusable linux system if I leave it on the monitor inputs on my amd card, I looked around and it seems that fedora 25 automatically enables amd drivers, not sure if that's credible since it's clearly not working, anyone else have this problem?

Opensuse (KDE Plasma) had a similar problem, but not as massive as framedrops, the amdgpu drivers is still experimental on my card, but it worked way better than this.

Looking further I see that it's purely a gnome issue, it seems to be fine on KDE even with wayland for people who even use the sea islands. Since I do use this system for production, it's a matter of time that I get this fixed, which means I may have to break this challenge in order complete my work, is there no one out there to further confirm this?

If you feel that this was a rushed and angry write up, you would be right

Update:

It fixed itself, I can still see the frame endings upon frame replacement but much better now that I can see my desktop. Since my card is still experimental (seriously, why is this taking so long to implement?) I'm not too fussy about it, videos play fine, just the rest of the desktop and displays that it's affecting. Yes, I was freaking out since I needed a solution fast, as I explained above I use this for production but since I dual boot anyways my crisis has been adverted and the problem had been fixed and understood. So back to gnome now.