3 Month Gnome Challenge

Do you have an example? All the applications i use that have header bars save vertical space by combining title and tool bar into one header bar. Sure the header bar is bigger then tool bar or title bar, but smaller than both combined.

For example i would like to see Firefox (my web browser of choice) having a headerbar, because at the moment it wastes vertical space. Although i would be fine with the approach of chrome, which is basically a header bar without title.

I like Gnome, but I also like KDE, am I doing it wrong?

I like the version of gnome that Budgie DE uses... If you can call it gnome... As it integrates into gnome but is also very custom so
Example of it on Ubuntu

How dare you like both sides of an argument when it comes to Linux, you heathen!

2 Likes

That's only when it's maximized.

I'm only talking about the header itself, the toolbar I hide cause I know where everything is in my applications (and that it's hidden by default in most).

Trying this out: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/545/hide-top-bar/

I have mostly used Gnome. I have tried Plasma before but I was mostly just annoyed.

1 Like

Nice thing with Fedora is that you have sepperate iso´s for the diffrent DE´s.
Unlike Open Suse.
So you basiclly could test out which kind of DE works best for you.
I´m personally not a huge fan of the direction that Gnome3 is heading.
Allthough you could basiclly use the Gnome Tweaktool to customize it a bit.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation

Sure there is, lol, look at the live iso list
With OpenSuSE you can get any custom iso you want, with ANY DE or WM, through SuSEStudio. SuSE is the ONLY distro in existance that supports ALL DE's and WM's in native repos.

It's much more convenient to install from the live iso than from the install iso. The only limitation of using a live iso to install is that you basically need the internet during install for latest packages, but you update after install anyway on any system, and that you can't do a system upgrade with a live iso, but for Tumbleweed, being rolling release, that is not necessary anyway.

1 Like

Ah i stand corrected, i have not tried Suse Studio before.
But i basiclly ment spinning up live envoirements for testing.

Best source for SuSE is download.opensuse.org.

For tumbleweed the directory is: https://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/

The Gnome, KDE and NET isos are provided. The opensuse installer asks you the question whether you want a workstation setup with Gnome or KDE, a server, or a different use. There is a button to configure your repos also. If you want something else than Gnome or KDE, you use the NET install, and you set the DE or WM of your choice during install, and it gets it directly from the repos. No unnecessary packages are installed in that case. Unless you want a typical fully loaded Gnome or KDE workstation install, the NET iso is probably the best way. It's the fastest and results in the less bloat on your system.

1 Like

I'm just gonna leave this here
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/

I was going to say this. Spins annoy me.. If you want to test out different desktops without clutter and want to reinstall, use the netiso, Fedora has one as well and will allow you to pick what groups of packages you want to install at install. e.g. what desktop environments, etc.

1 Like

I reckon most people don't even know that it's supposed to be pronounced like "Ge-nome". :smiley:

guh-nome or nome, both are correct and acceptable.

2 Likes

Here's an update:

I've actually don't mind gnome..once you get the extensions up and running, natively it's horrible to use, however there is a silver lining, the time you spend finding the extensions you need, the more you learn what gnome really is. It's a DE that's simple to use, simple to iterate with your personal adjustments, and once you understand where all the interface configs are, you are pretty much set.

I might anger some gnome users, but currently I feel comfortable with the current setup I now have, although more tweaks are needed. Here's a list of extensions and changes I've made:

Extensions

• Dash to Panel
  • Drop Down Terminal
  • NetSpeed
  • OpenWeather
  • Sound Input & Output Device Chooser

Extensions that I'm still playing with:

• Pixel Saver
  • Hide Top Bar

Gnome custom changes:
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

/* shrink headerbars */
headerbar {
    min-height: 0px;
    padding-left: 2px; /* same as childrens vertical margins for nicer proportions */
    padding-right: 2px;
    background-color: #2d2d2d;
}

headerbar entry,
headerbar spinbutton,
headerbar button,
headerbar separator {
    margin-top: 0px; /* same as headerbar side padding for nicer proportions */
    margin-bottom: 0px;
}

/* shrink ssd titlebars */
.default-decoration {
    min-height: 0; /* let the entry and button drive the titlebar size */
    padding: 0px
    background-color: #2d2d2d;
}

.default-decoration .titlebutton {
    min-height: 0px; /* tweak these two props to reduce button size */
    min-width: 0px;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar {
    padding-top: 3px;
    padding-bottom: 3px;
    min-height: 0;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar button.titlebutton {
    padding-top: 3px;
    padding-bottom:3px;
    min-height: 0;
}

I'll continue to update, with more changes and tweaks. Here's a screenshot of my main monitor: (Quality reduced due to craptacular upload speed)

1 Like

Where did you find that nice wallpaper? :smiley:

I think this is it: http://wallup.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/297728-Pluto-space-NASA.png

If you want I can upload it somewhere and share the link.

1 Like

Here's a quick update so far:

I've had a few problems but most of it comes from wayland and not the gnome de, here's the top two that concerns both.

What in the fuck, is this, and why does it exist?

The second is that videos playing cause to freeze from time to time, this includes in both wayland and xorg.

gnome legacy tray - gnome dev's deiced that programs sole should use the integrated messaging thingy (the one that pops open when you click on the clock) - but they keep that so far for programs that do not use it;

I myself hate that implementation - the extension "top icons plus" solves that massively for me

1 Like