2021 MacBook Pro Review / Discussion

Just want to drop in and mention Crossover for Wine/x86_64 support on Apple Silicon. x86_64 support is provided by way of Rosetta 2, and despite the layers of emulation and translation performance can be much more impressive than Parallels, especially since DXVK support was introduced. For example:

But just like Wine, getting your favorite game to work can be tricky. Protondb.com is actually helpful in this regard.

2 Likes

Ahhhh ok. In Linux Iā€™ve gotten so used to Proton in Steam that I havenā€™t really needed to mess with that stuff in a long time. Iā€™ll definitely check it out, thanks :slight_smile:

Crossover does take a fair bit of the guesswork out, but itā€™s still not as seamless as Steam Play. Hopefully Lord Gaben will eventually bless macOS with his handiwork.

1 Like

One can only hope.

I installed the Epic Launcher yesterday thinking maybe Rocket League would work there, but unfortunately itā€™s not compatible.

But right now I really only care about WoW TBC Classic, so as long as thatā€™s working then Iā€™m good. And it does work. I also lowered the graphics slider to the 3 (Classic) preset and it runs great. And itā€™s kind of refreshing to play on the old-school graphics.

The next game Iā€™d like to see working is TES IV: Oblivion. I know it has plenty of power to run it, I just need to get it to stop crashing.

Honestly gaming is more about nostalgia for me than fun these days. I donā€™t really care if it can run the newest games or not. If it were super important, I wouldnā€™t have bought the Mac in the first place.

1 Like

So, anyone with one got a USB protocol analyzer?
Iā€™m curious if the ports on the new one can deliver power over PD. The 2020 one couldnā€™t, and was behaving weirdly when asked. Wonder if that got fixed (iā€™d love to be able to run a soldering iron off a macbook).

Try the Heroic launcher instead. It will import existing Epic Launcher games and will launch them in the ā€˜defaultā€™ Crossover bottle. Getting Heroic to correctly use the right Crossover bottle can be a little tricky.

As far as Linux gaming being seamless I just spent several hours trying to get Red Dead Redemption 2 working in Linux. Despite the rosy reports on ProtonDB it has been absolutely impossible to get this (insert extremely offensive expletive) game working.

1 Like

Iā€™m running homebrew on macOS 12, but on intel, as an upgrade from 11.

It works ok so far. Given is uses the xcode developer tools to compile everything i donā€™t see why it should not work with macOS 12, but its probably not well tested yet.

This is where i am at. Apple for portables and mobile devices - self built for desktops (either linux or windows as required).

It works pretty well.

3 Likes

With ryzen, threadripper, amd graphic cards support and latest rx 6000 series support added also, on macs (big sur), no mentioning of hackintoshes?

Thatā€™s where the real value lies, threadripper system with a high end graphics card, printer, peripherals and what-not almost all of being more plug&play than on windows.

(Not that macs are full of gaming titles, but they do have more support on out-of-the-box gaming-launchers than for example linux doesā€¦) Now where is Lutris for macā€¦ :slight_smile: Also many if not all titles released by feral interactive (the gaming studio, behind many linux ports) include macOS support aswell :+1:

Hackintosh wonā€™t get the same battery life, and even a ryzen desktop with a 3090 wonā€™t get the same level of video processing performance for those using these machines for the job theyā€™re aimed at (pro-res video). Some may have forgotten the Pro/MAX SOC has essentially an afterburner video processing board built in that beats what the current model, afterburner equipped Mac Pro is capable of. In a laptopā€¦

Never mind that a Hackintosh is not long for this world/not a sustainable solution; Apple are going to phase out support for intel within the next couple of years.

Setting yourself up with a brand new Hackintosh as a plan for long term is a recipe for future pain when you inevitably need to migrate off.

The new display is also far and beyond anything youā€™re likely to get in a PC laptop, and likely way cheaper than youā€™ll get as a comparable discrete display.

If youā€™re using things like CAD or gaming, fair enough, but they arenā€™t what the macs are aimed at anyhowā€¦

I canā€™t wait to grab one of these to be honest. As a step up from an intel laptop even the 2020 M1 air was a massive jump in responsivenessā€¦ i just need to sort out some house-related expenses first.

5 Likes

Hah, youā€™re so hooked up on those m1 chips from what it sounds like, but so am i. So definetly not faulting anyone in regards to that. The m1 chip is indeed incredible for what it can offer on a laptop-level size chip.

Idk about calling a hackintosh a non-sustainable solution, in the long run. Perhaps, so.

MacOS has had / have more problems with architecture migration than on any other thing on an operating system level. Migrating files and whatever else, has always been easier / faster on macā€™s than any other system. Including windowsā€¦

Macā€™s are indeed not built for gaming per say, but thatā€™s a bit weird thing to say. Because you can argue for it not being built for any other reason, even if it out-competes and it seems to do exactly that with the m1 chip surpassing / competing with some of amd and nvidiaā€™s highest end cards in somewhat recent titlesā€¦

Almost all games in the blizzard app work and are supported. Even GoG has provided a macOS version of the galaxy launcher, EPIC games also have their own version for mac. Then there is Uplay and possibly even more, those work on mac aswell :+1: That is a CRAZY amount of support, donā€™t u think so? For a non-gaming oriented machine?

1 Like

Games might run ok, but not all do - and the level of performance getting obtained right now is WITHOUT anything like the AMD and Nvidia driver hacks for ā€œgame ready driversā€.

If games work, fine, but thatā€™s not the primary use case for these machines, if youā€™re after a gaming box a dedicated console or nvidia/amd PC is going to be faster.

That may change, but thus far apple has shown they give basically zero fucks for games outside of iOS.

And yeah, long term mac user here (well, since the intel switch).

Irony is that the intel switch was the safety net i desired to be able to run Windows or Linux on the harware if i wanted to - but this time around getting OFF of intel/x86 platform is the drawcard :rofl:

2 Likes

I deleted the last four posts in this topic in regards to the discussion about Hackintosh.
Because itā€™s not really relevant for this particular topic.
This is a review topic of the Macbook pro.

If you guys want to discuss about Hackintosh, feel free to create a topic about it.

Grtz Angel :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Homebrew itself is fine. Itā€™s specifically CrossOver that I havenā€™t got to work yet.

Ya when Apple started using Intel I was a little excited just because it opened up those possibilities, but it was never enough to get me to switch. I thought it was a good idea overall though.

Now with my priorities changing, M1 really brings a lot to the table. The work laptops Iā€™ve had (2012, 2016, and 2019 Macbook Pro) have all ran like a furnace and under-performed heavily when it comes to gaming compared to similarly-priced Windows laptops.

Hell, the 2019 I have right now we went all out when we ordered them. Theyā€™re about $3200 if you price them out on Appleā€™s website. But they can barely handle WoW.

With my base-model M1 Pro last night I was messing around with graphics settings some more, and on my 1080p monitor Iā€™m able to max out the graphics and still keep around 120 FPS, even in crowded places.

1 Like

It feels like the 2020 16" was the final nod to graphics performance for the Intel MBP. The 5600M is honestly really solid, and Iā€™ve been using mine for gaming for the past year. Itā€™s annoying that without backdoor access you canā€™t really do much to alleviate the power throttling caused by the Core i9, but the game performance is still really good. Seems to be even better with bootcamp and the resigned drivers.

Why do people try so hard to run games on MacOS?

It just feels like making life harder on yourself then needs to be. Wouldnā€™t be easier to just buy a switch or something?

1 Like

Certain games I like to have on my laptop because then I can just bring my laptop with me when I travel. Or if I go somewhere where I need to bring my laptop, I know I have a couple games with me too. Then I donā€™t have to bring my laptop and the Switch, I can just bring my laptop. WoW is one of those games which isnā€™t on console at all, so a console doesnā€™t help there. Luckily it does play natively on Mac, so there are no potentially messy workarounds for WoW.

I understand your point though I think.

For now, Iā€™m actually streaming games from my desktop to my AppleTV via Steam Link instead of using a console, and then I just play WoW on Mac. But Iā€™d like to get a couple more games working on the Mac so when I visit my parents for Thanksgiving I have a couple more games to choose from.

But other people have their own reasons. Maybe they canā€™t afford their computer and a console. Maybe they donā€™t have the space for both. Maybe they simply donā€™t want multiple devices.

I feel like weā€™re getting off topic a little now though.

Because itā€™s worth it to get rid of windows

A seperate windows install for gaming is a couple hundred gig

A seperate pc for gaming is additional expense and maintenance.

Yeah, I can understand why itā€™s desirable, but it just seems so counterintuitive to me at all consider it as part of a purchasing decision or review of an Apple device.

Apple has pretty much made it clear the MacBook is meant to be anything but a gaming device.

shrug I just think donā€™t really see a reason to bang my head against that wall.

Lol whatever you say, man. Linux gaming is leagues better than trying to force it on MacOS, if the point is to use a different OS, though.

edit:

To expand on my point slightly @aLilBabyOtter : I would consider someone buying an Apple device as making a deliberate decision on giving up access to the vast majority of gaming options.

Iā€™d place trying to use a MacBook as a primary gaming platform in the same vein as buying an iPhone and then only using wired headset / headphones via a dongle; sure, it can be done and sometimes in a pinch you make do, but I wouldnā€™t ever really consider in part of overall evaluation of the device.

The point is that you already have macOS. On Mac hardware.

1 Like