2021 MacBook Pro Review / Discussion

4K to 1080p or 4K to 4K?

I chose the Matroska > H.265 MKV 2160p60 setting. One with the default preset and one where I changed the encoder to the 10-bit VideoToolBox option.

Also an update:

• I ran the default Matroska > H.265 MKV 2160p60 preset on my Xenia and averaged 3.6 fps. So about the same as the MacBook Pro. But there was a lot more fan noise while doing it.
  • Same settings on my Risen 5 3600 + Vega 56 desktop gets me 5.6 fps average. Using AMD VCE got me 52.6 fps. Though Iā€™m no expert on the subject so Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s really relevant or not.

alright. my 5950x gets about 12fps on similar settings. then jumps up to 60fps with 1080p avc to hevc compression.

Is there something fancy to do? I tried just running the command on Homebrew and at the end it says ā€œError: This cask does not run on macOS versions newer than Big Sur.ā€

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 10.12.46 AM
dunno why i can install

2 Likes

im turning into an apple fanboiā€¦ But it will never make me switch completely out of windows/diy pc building realm.

4 Likes

welcome to my world

3 Likes

But ill be the first to admit, apple is not without its faults. I remeber my imac g4 had bad capacitors and it was a real problem back in 2004/5. Also macbook 2011 has an issue with the gpu de soldering. and lets not forget butterfly keyboard. or bendgate. I will never be the fan that says apple can do no wrong or not mess up. Good luck with your m1 max!

2 Likes

Ya Iā€™m the same way I think. In the mobile world, itā€™s easily Apple for me nowadays. Over the past couple years, Iā€™ve switched back and forth several times. I was mostly an Android fanboy but there were things I liked and disliked about each platform. But the last few Android phones Iā€™ve tried I havenā€™t really been pleased with, and those were flagship phones like the LG V60, Note 20 Ultra, and Galaxy S21 Ultra. Plus, nothing on the Android side works as well as the iPhone + AirPods Pro + Apple Watch combo.

For laptops, I think this version of the MacBook Pro finally ticks all the boxes for what Iā€™m looking for. Plus it works really well with my Apple mobile devices, so Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m going to sell my Xenia and keep the MacBook Pro. But weā€™ll see. I think about all these ā€œwhat ifā€ scenarios in my head, like what if Iā€™m on vacation and bored in the hotel and wanna play some Halo or something, it would be nice to have the more capable gaming laptop. But then I think about reality, and I thought the exact same thing about the Nintendo Switch when it came out, and I literally never bring the Switch with me anywhere because if Iā€™m traveling Iā€™m usually busy enjoying being away from everything. So realistically, Iā€™m not going to game while Iā€™m gone. And if thatā€™s the case, I donā€™t need the gaming laptop.

On the desktop side, Iā€™m not giving up the ability to build and repair my own computer. You just get so much more bang for your buck. If something breaks you donā€™t have to rely on Apple. If itā€™s something simple I can just drive 5 minutes to Best Buy and they usually have stuff in stock.

Weird. Did you have it installed before macOS 12?

Iā€™ve been doing a little bit of DuckDuckGo-ing and havenā€™t really found anything, but maybe Iā€™ll try the download from CodeWeavers instead.

1 Like

Maybe cause beta install of macos

2 Likes

Non-Homebrew version direct from CodeWeavers works fine :man_shrugging:

They cant as part of the thunderbolt certification.

If you notice any laptop with TB4 is in the same boat or has an additional Aemedia controller

Additionally USB 4 is strictly USB C. There are no other connectors

Great to see Apple doing so well

LOVE IT

1 Like

They canā€™t have a Thunderbolt 4 port and a USB 3 type-A port on the same device?

Not on the same controller anymore.

Apple probably didnt want to deal with Asmedia.

It would required adding a controller firmware and software

Ahhhh makes sense.

Hearing about all of the good things about the New MacBook Pro, I canā€™t wait for mines to come next week!

While I wish there was at least one USB-A port, I would not want to sacrifice the 3 remaining USB-C ports.

Iā€™m keeping a close eye on the Asahi Linux project. Iā€™m planning to dual boot my MacBook Pro once it is ready for daily driver usage.

Yup but honestly I approve the move to all TB4

Just get conversion cables. TB4 can interface with USB 4 over type C

Honestly the more I think about it the only thing I really care about that would be nice to have over USB type A is my Razer Naga Pro. But that has bluetooth so itā€™s really not necessary anyways, just a little more responsive.

That I am looking forward to as well.

Good validated cables are coming.

Just give it a moment

Type C trully is a nice connector

1 Like

Just tried to play a couple games using CrossOver and it was terrible. Maybe thereā€™s some settings I need to play around with.

Rocket League - This is a relatively lightweight game by todayā€™s standards. It played, but at about 10 FPS on maxed out graphics but only about half the native resolution (the highest it would allow).

TES IV: Oblivion - Canā€™t even play it. Itā€™ll launch, but if I try to load a previous save itā€™ll crash on the loading screen every time. If I start a new game, itā€™ll get past the loading screen and then crash after a few seconds every time.