2 Gamers 1 GPU with Hyper V GPU-P (GPU Partitioning finally made possible with HyperV)

Proxmox with GPU PT works…
If that is something you would be after.
ESX with PCI PT has been working for a long time, since you could mask the cpuid away…
KVM GPU PT works as well

ESX has Grid as a license you need to have, i seen a guy who bypassed it…
But other than that, i dont know

1 Like

Oh this is quite interesting stuff!

I have an HPE DL325 G10 with an Epyc 7302p and a Quadro p2000. Going to have to do some experimenting. It’s running RDS right now, under Server 2019.

1 Like

I’m running a 3700x with a 2080ti. CUDA and most programs using NVENC work fine but anything using DXR (Minecraft with raytracing enabled and Pure Raytracing Benchmark) or Optix (Blender optix render acceleration) I haven’t been able to get running. Other than that, using it as a gaming pc for friends to remote into works great.

Is it possible to run HyperV with GPU Partitioning through nested Virtualization? For example use Proxmox or Unraid with a Windows VM and GPU Passthrough and then create another Windows VMs with GPU Partitions inside the first Windows VM.

Like a Onion ? Layers of layers, and a GPU :wink:

1 Like

Jeff from Craft Computing did a video on this the other day. I’m Impressed on the result he had.

Thanks Jeff for following up with this if you see this.

1 Like

I got this working on a RX5700 i just used Disk2VHD and cloned my system to a VM and did the “FileStore” files worked !!!

1 Like

Hyper V I believe might not support this. unless some modding is done probably. I haven’t researched this so i might be wrong.

All I know is that I can’t install hyperV role on a hyperV vm.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but Microsoft is really putting the cart before the horse.

RemoteFX got killed off, which is what really made this type of deployment cool and useful.

Now, rather than fixing or replacing that, they make vGPU better…and there’s no official way of transporting the stream?

For the AMD users. You need to copy u0367492.inf_amd64_dc9dba40afc0f9b5 (changes with the driver version) to the FileRepository and copy everything in it to system32 folder.

2 Likes

Hi, I am curious, whether you use RTX 2070 in windows server?As far as I know, game graphics cards(GTX) cannot be used on windows server. Only professional graphics cards(Quadro, Telsa) have windows server drivers.

is it possible to harnes the GPU HDMI ports for a cable run setup, say VM one to the living room and VM2 to the Bedroom?

i do have an 3090 that would save a few pcie slots.

You should be able to, if all your hardware stars have lined up correctly. As I recall, it takes more than just basic virtualization support to do nested virt, but it is possible to install the hyper-v hypervisor role on a hyper-v guest.

Might be able to do this … so you have the GPU shared between a few guests, and the host. So the host has two monitors, and you run different remote-desktop clients full screen, one on each display. Don’t know if Parsec can do this, or you’d need something else? Separating the control inputs would be a challenge maybe…

Does GPU-p work on Windows Server 2019 ? What’s the version of Windows Server 2019?

i followed all steps but i get the error 43, i did all steps and even some more :confused:

wait what “Nvidia drivers that came out before the VM passthrough enablement”
that means i need much older drivers at this poin?

it wont grab the new nvidia driver it still uses the windows one from 2006

I used some random driver from January if not before that I had not updated for my 2070. It apparently worked for me? I have no idea how or why. Probably not relevant since the drivers now from nvidia will run in vms.

Regardless of the nvidia driver version, it will always show 2006 in the vm. If you use the latest available driver, I would check that first.

If you updated your host drivers, you would need to copy all driver files again.

U Can, just not with gpu DDA in hyperv. Though I prefer using windows 10 pro if I can’t afford a windows server license.

I believe it might of been added recently. Give it a shot in an evaluation trial.

If I remember correctly, remote fx had some security issues that could not be resolved, so they rewrote the addon into gpu-p or DDA

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that was the case

1 Like