2 Gamers 1 GPU with Hyper V GPU-P (GPU Partitioning finally made possible with HyperV)

This is really impressive. Nicely done.

I need to check this out later!

1 Like

Hello Everyone !
I have been running GPU Passthrough in Hyper-V for a long time now. And was Very happy when Nvidia removed the Virtual Machine Checks, so i dont have to mod the drivers anymore.
And i am very happy to see this is working so well !
I followed all the steps with a GTX 750Ti (my 1070Ti is still in PT Mode until i have done some testing !)

But, i cannot find :

• NvAgent.dll and * nvaudcap64v.dll in my system32

Anyone else with same problem.
When i start games in FullScreen it doesnt work, but windowed seems to be workingā€¦
Im running Parsec with a Dummy HDMI plug

BR
Mr250

Hey man,

From my experience with using Parsec and fullscreen, you may have some odd results with the HyperV monitor. Borderless window mode will work better.

I am uncertain as to why you are missing those DLLs, might want to try reinstalling the drivers? they may be the same DLLs located in the file repository folder so you can try copying those to see if that works? If itā€™s because itā€™s a 750 Ti and the card is running on different DLLs, might want to research if there is an equivalent.

Another thing you can try is the VGA monitor driver I have listed for Parsec which actually will make a secondary virtual monitor. Might fix fullscreen maybe?

hope one of these fixes your issue!

Hey Dude !
I tested with the USB Monitor Driver, and that works well on VM#2
So its something with the HDMI Dummy plug together with Parsec on VM#1

Parsec + USB Monitor driver works well !
I got piss poor performance on Borderlands 2 on GTX750Ti, should be better. But unigine went pretty well actually

Im gonna install another VM, unplug the HDMI dummy plugā€¦ and use only the USB monitor driver on all the vmsā€¦

Ill report my findings tomorrow !

One Cool Use Case:
I am running Oculus Quest 2 with ALVR and Oculus own Wifi stuff, to run VR games over WiFi on a VM. Mainly No Mans Sky, Pretty cool actually.
This way i am not occupying my main computer.

BR

1 Like

weird,

I would of never of thought Iā€™d hear someone having a cloud VR gaming machine that is virtualized.

I applaud this !

Thank you man !
I have been running this setup for a long time =) (Passthrough GPU)
Works like a charm.
I really appreciated Nvidia for dropping the VM identify part in their driver (code 43)
We used to hex edit this away and then resigning drivers etc. etc. etcā€¦ big process for a Driver updateā€¦

Anyone tested how much penalty we get on the GPU-P ?

What is your definition of penalty?

Graphics Performance penalty
Host + GPU
vs
VM + GPU
if Full amount of Cores have been assigned Including HT cores + ~16GB Ram, running on NVME or SSD

Ahh,

Someone mentioned to me that on the Arma 3 discord that CPU scheduling in HyperV is a bit slow. But I believe if you were to partition the entire GPU, you might get 80-99% total card performance. Might want to look into HyperV CPU scheduling.

I havenā€™t noticed really much performance impact but it varies at times.

This is for personal use only.
I think the goal here is to have a couple of VMs running
Steam Offline Mode
1 x VR able to run
1 x Intel Nuc in the Guestroom TV
1 x Shield TV in livingroom TV
1 x Shield TV in the ManCave TV
1 x Shield TV in the Guestroom TV
1 x Remote Parsec User (My brother who wants to drive some GTA / Forza sometimes)
Not simultaneous maybe, but i think my rig would be able to do itā€¦
2 x 2637 v4 3.5 Ghz 4core +HT
384 GB Ram

And some cool VR software as well, like vSpatial or Immersed (look those up)

1 Like

VM#3 is up and running now.
And it looks like it is all working with the USB Monitor driver :wink:

I am playing 2 x instances of Half-Life 2 on VM#2 and VM#3 right now at the same time.
Im not checking performance right now (GTX 750TI x 2 Half-Life 2)
I already know that the Portable Version of Parsec allows you to run multiple instances towards different machines at the same time, which is awesome. So you can put 1 Parsec on Each Screen if you wanted to.

For example a Older computer with 3 monitors, you have have 3 different HW GPU Accelerated applications/games running on each monitor from a separate VM,

So Conclusion
My HDMI Dummy Plug doesnt play well with Parsec and GPU-P
the USB Monitor Driver works well (although a littlebit cumbersome to configure the Dual->Single Monitor in a simple manner (but i always had the same problem with GPU PT, and it will probably screw up on Driver Upgrade) Hehe

1 Like

BTW i am running Windows Server 2019 fully patched, and Windows 10 guest VM fully patched.
And it works.

2 Likes

Are you running virtual versions of the shield tv?

Hmmm, are there any virtual versions of Shield TV=)?
No, i have one per TV at home =)

1 Like

I followed everything step by step. however parsec gives me an error when i try to connect.

Yeah, there something going on there.
The Scheduled Tasks looks like it adds another and another, every reboot.
I saw the same thing, and started it once.
Havenā€™t had the time to play with it more.
Remove those USB Mobileā€¦ devices, run the bat file 1 time then reboot

Just tried this on my PC with a R9 280x and the GPU passthrough worked really well
Itā€™s just missing the hardware encoder for now, even after I copied all the AMD drivers in driver store

1 Like

Very cool stuff, really seems like Microsoft is upping up the capabilities of HyperV in a good way.

Is anyone aware of any opensource kvm/qemu projects in this direction?
My only option to use this atm would probably to PCIe passthrough to a Windows VM and then do nested virtualization on top of thatā€¦

1 Like