1 Year Linux Challenge

how does one go about claiming this badge? I have been using a mix of RHEL and Fedora in my professional and personal life as a daily driver for the best part of 2 years now, am mostly new to this forum though.

1 Like

I @SgtAwesomesauce I too would like to claim my prize!

2 Likes

If you want to claim your prize, please write a blog about your experiences switching to Linux and link it here, I will be awarding badges on the blog posts.

5 Likes

I ran mandrake for about a year in (got tired of Windows ME) 2002-2003 (left it on my laptop but had xp on my new desktop) but since march 4, 2021 I have been daily RHEL so I can be ready for the RHCSA/RHCE exams

4 Likes

Tell us how the exams will go.

2 Likes

Few weeks ago I installed Debain 11 as the doomsday plan for upcoming Windows 11 cluster. There were some initial pains (mainly related to opensource nouveau Nvidia driver - my advice is donā€™t touch it. It was just too unstable) but I am over the hump now (after biting the bullet and installing the proprietary drivers). I have the system setup now with everything I need and daily driving.

Initially I installed KDE flavour but the whole system crashed after logging into the system. In hindisght it was probably display driver related. So I went XFCE. Iā€™ve grown to it and Iā€™ll stick with it. Some software I am using.
Browser - Ungoogle Chromium Appimage
Mail - SeaMonkey
PDF - Okular Flatpak
Text editor - Bluefish but I intend on finally taking the Vim tutor and give that a go
Media - VLC
Office - Libre Office AppImage and Free Office Online when I need full MS Office compatibility
Rest I am using as much command line utilities as I can so I get more comfortable with it. Some of the command line utilities I am using are rsync, openvpn, youtube-dl, ffmpeg, imagemagik, ghostscript

Maybe after a year I will feel comfortable enough to ditch the GUI more.

Please bring more level 099 content! I am a fan.

3 Likes

@LinusTech Since youā€™re doing the challenge with Luke. If you manage to do it for a year you get a fancy badge here :wink:

2 Likes

does this count?

i used linux (Mandrake) full time back in the early 2000s. i switched to Debian with the release of Sarge, (2005ish). currently my core is Proxmox (based on Debian) with several headless debian servers, a couple windows servers, a debian laptop, desktop, an OSX VMā€¦ and more. That is all just at my house.

honestly back when windows 2000 was a thing, it was easy to switch to a GUI linux distro like Mandrake. The worst part was figuring out where all the buttons got moved to, i spent a half hour trying to find the ā€˜burn discā€™ button in K3b back in the day. But that is no different than MS releasing a new version of office and having to relearn where they shuffled everything off too.

Heh, I was just gonna make a thread about it since I donā€™t have Floatplane and just got to that video.

Random question, but how do you say ā€œRHELā€? Is it ā€œrellā€, or ā€œArr-Aitch-Ee-Elleā€?

1 Like

This

3 Likes

You have to emphasize the hell in RHEL so it has to be ā€œrhellā€

2 Likes

New forum member here. :slight_smile:

I am staring a new job in the new year. I have always been an Admin in the MS circle and this new oppertunity will move me away from that. Now I have some linux knowledge, but there is a lot to learn, as there always is.

So in the new year, I will take up this challenge, but I still have to decide between ElementryOS and Ubuntu. I must say, I am going to miss MS Outlook.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Ubuntu is more mature than Elementary, so its probably a more sane approach towards linux adoption. Elementary looks nicer overall though, but oftentimes its beauty is just skin deep. It is also running the LTS version so if you want the latest software for whatever program you desire, you will have to either get the flatpak/snap/appimage version. But those versions would look different and break the clean look of ElementaryOS.

3 Likes

Looks like I will have to bail on this challenge. I heard that I will be getting a macbook at the new company.

2 Likes

I tried my hand at this a few years ago and failed, but I have been using Linux as my 1st os for both my PCā€™s and my phones for almost a year now (might even be over a year at this point), so I guess itā€™s time to go at it again to make it official next year.

Desktop: Iā€™m currently running Kubuntu but after using that, Manjaro, and standard Ubuntu for quite some time I feel like I should have just gone with Arch.

Phone: Pixel 3a running Ubuntu Touch. I really like this setup and I donā€™t see this changing anytime soon, but I did order the PinePhone Pro, so weā€™ll have to see if I switch when I get it.

My Linux phone adventures have been posted here:

6 Likes

Congrats man; well done sticking with it!

4 Likes

I have finished the year of full time Linux but keep getting distracted by virtualization, storage, ansible, ect and havenā€™t gotten around to taking the certification. Last time did boot my windows install (as a vm) I fully realized just how terrible Microsoftā€™s patching system is

5 Likes

Congrats!

Iā€™d be happy to issue you the badge once you write a blog post summarizing your experiences.

4 Likes

I finally bit the bullet and learned how to install ubuntu along side windows 10. Now has steam, nvidia drivers, and Half Life games installed which will be my only motivation for using linux lol. proton thing sounds cool if it works for windows games considering I still have no reason to move away from my 1st gen ryzen. If the msi dragon center for ubuntu exists I think Iā€™ll be set.

3 Likes