1 Year Linux Challenge

I don’t mind getting stuck, as long as it is cozy where I am. It is easier to focus being stuck than it is while wandering around :shushing_face: .

2 Likes

Been running linux as a primary for years now, started off with gentoo, now mostly debian as I’m displeased with where ubuntu is heading. Still have a windows VM for gaming and M$ garbage like teams for work. If I run out of projects I may do gentoo for my workstation again one day.

Here’s hoping the steam deck mainstreams linux gaming. I can never get over how much more… relaxing… linux is when compared to windows.

1 Like
1 Like

Thats a motherfuckin computer right there

2 Likes

Does the community still do this thing?

1 Like

Emulation isn’t the way to go. There are too many proprietary hurdles to jump.
The issue is not running Windows virtually, GPU passthrough is the major stumbling block. Solve that issue and you are away. On one of my boxes I have a GTX 970 and Titan XP video card. I run the GTX 970 for the OS with the Titan XP for virtual Windows gaming. Works OK, but does have a few downsides.

Not sure about posting links here, but if you DuckDuckGo the following key words:

virtual gaming GPU passthrough

You should see a series of blogs on the subject. ctrlaltdevelop is the guide I followed.

As soon as I can find a way to play my entire Steam library on Linux, I am dumping Windows for good.

1 Like

1 year linux aniversary times how many?
I think i switched to full day linux user in 2015. Been a bumpy ride, but last several years have been damn near amazing! Pop_os seems to be one of those distro’s that just disapear in the back ground and you are just using your computer whit out issues. Darn near perfection!

3 Likes

damn, is that your rack??? and is all that tech actually running?? looks cool but also looks like hell to manage and repair down the line

1 Like

How does one get in on this challenge? trying to get some clout on the forum

1 Like

Really? Do I get a badge? I thought this wasn’t available anymore.

My Linux as main OS adventure ramble

I’ve been running Linux as my main driver since 2018, with a break starting this August (2021). I’ll get back on Linux in a month or 2 (tried Linux on my tablet, but browsers would crash with just its meager 2GB of RAM - also, had to enable intel_idle.max_cstate=1 in grub, which I didn’t like, but otherwise Linux would freeze randomly). Used Manjaro for 1 and a half - 2 years, then moved to Void.

2 Likes

Does it count if you’ve had your second and subsequent PC’s running Linux lol or does it only start when your gaming rig converts

I think its good Linus and Luke are jumping onboard for their challenge as outlined on the last couple wan showa

1 Like

I think it counts if you virtualize Windows (that’s mostly how Wendell uses his, I believe). Bonus points if you use Looking Glass. When I was still using Windows (in the period I used Manjaro), I just passed-through a GPU, SSD and a USB 3.0 PCI-E adapter, with a separate keyboard and mouse (same monitor, on different HDMI input). Only used that for a game that could have probably worked on Steam, but I would have probably gotten banned if I tried.

If you only used your Windows PC as a gaming console, it counts in my book (even though I didn’t do that, but I will probably have a separate Windows box, because shared resources kind of suck), but not sure about this challenge.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think it should count if you regularly use a linux rig of your own, more often than a windows/mac machine? (but this is not a democracy…)

Like, have a windows PC for work/ occasional games, but Linux for main / browsing / work / entertainment etc?

1 Like

Any mod or admin can give the badge (it’s a manual badge), so if you want the badge uhhhh… reply to this post I guess? Make sure to link any relevant post(s) about your journey.

The OP is a wiki, so feel free to add yourself where you’re at to it.

I’m not sure if anybody is scrolling through this thread checking users for the badge.

2 Likes

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

HI all,
Been a while since I posted on the forums, so just jumped in to the Linux Category for a look, saw the Linux challenge and thought I would post my journey so far.

I’ve been using Linux both in Virtualization and on bare metal for many years. I have tried many of the Distro’s such as Mint, Manjaro & Fedora but keep coming back to Debian based OS’ such as Pop OS & Ubuntu. Some links to threads where I have asked questions are here:-

Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

A note to new linux users / new AMD users in linux, about drivers

Intel 3570k NAS Build

X570 Aorus Master audio issue with Linux

Currently, I use Linux (Virtualized) for work. A lot of this requires working in the terminal. I have learned a lot more compared to what I was learning while playing around with the Terminal in my own time.

Hopefully this is enough for me to be awarded my Linux badge :grinning:

1 Like

It occurs to me that I haven’t posted in this thread. I ditched Windows on my main PC in favour of Kubuntu on 18th September, so nearly a month ago \o/ I installed Kubuntu (and later openSUSE) on an old laptop I have about a week earlier.

Sadly I can’t do much about my work laptop because it’s not mine and it has to run a prescribed set of software, but both devices I personally own run Linux.

3 Likes

Today marks day 1 for me on Pop_OS! on a nuc8i7hvk. So far so good beyond a few problems.

6 Likes

I have been on Linux for years, feel free to ask on this forum if you have a concrete problem you can’t solve, but please use a search engine first to check if this has been answered.

Sure thing!

It’s about using Linux as your primary OS.

If you can maintain a passthrough VM, I think that qualifies for sure.

1 Like