1 Year Linux Challenge

Youd be surprised. I boot into windows for 2 things these days, Wticher 3, and MSG 5. I almost never use it for anything else, ive just never needed to.

1 Like

I am starting the linux challenge.
Manjaro 16.06.1 XFCE 4 compiz going on 2 weeks

Was on a post here ragging on linux, I have tried versions of linux over the year just did not find anything but frustration. Then I thought to myself how can I rag on something when I am not current. Did a hunt around for Distros came across Spatry's cup of linux and Manjaro, watch the videos and did my install.

I am very happy with the way Manjaro works I find it a relaxing OS, Pacman commands, Pamac , AUR and the setup of my desktop.

After two weeks and no windows I am relaxed and happy, broke Manjaro reinstalled and things are working again. Found out late I could have fixed it, but now I know.

I have games I want to play on windows like skyrim modded, and to play skyrim on linux I need to setup my mods so I can use them in linux and I do not want to even run windows to do that. Purchase some games I never played that run on linux and again having fun.

What really gets me about this is, I am running this on a 80 gig HD and it is just half full and I have the things I need on it. My windows 10 is on a 480 gig ssd and it is over half full, talk about a over weight OS.
Will keep windows 10 on the ssd and Manjaro allows me to boot into windows if I need to. When I get the money will purchase a new ssd for Manjaro.

For me this is the year when linux moved over to the usable side, am no longer a windows fanboy, and I have windows to thank for me not being a fanboy any more windows 10 and all the junk.
And I would like to thank all the people on this forum for helping me with my problems. Having a good support group helps with the transition.
It is funny not having windows withdrawals lol.
It use to be for me this game does not work and that does not work in linux now with the way windows 10 works it make linux look good.

1 Like

glad your sticking at it :)

I am happy with linux but not play on linux, will have to open a new post and see if I can fix the problems.

Other then that Manjaro has been good to me.

you could do that on wine or if you have a second graphics card wine is not an emulator btw

How do you get on the Linux challenge list ?

I would do this if I didn't have to use Solidworks and AutoCad for work/school. I could use wine but, do not want to run into problem wine or VirtualBox and not be able to use the programs for a day or more. I do dual boot Windows 7 with LinuxMint 17.3. Unless I get a job that all the software we use has full support on Linux I will have to use windows at home to get stuff done. I have been recording what I do in Linux with OBS but I don't have the time to edit the videos and upload them. Games I play on Linux is TF2 ,Starmade, Minecraft,Borderlands, Tomb Raider (2013 reboot), RoboCraft, Insurgency,7 Days to Die, Borderlands 2 and list goes on.

I really want to, like really really... but because of our work policies I can't use linux on my work computer or my computer at home that I use for remote work now and then....

But I do try to have one or two VM instances with linux installed at all times to fiddle with.

if the remote work from home means using a VPN to a Windows RDP session to the office it should still work ?

Okular is nice but lacks many (mostly business) features that you need when you've been used to Acrobat Pro. I kind of dislike the workflow if you're bound to a windows vm for specific tasks.
For that I use PDF Studio. I also advertise that tool (which costs 129$ in the pro version) wherever I work versus the 450$ Acrobat Pro license which contains only the current version.
Haven't looked back since.
PDFs were the one thing I was missing in linux besides gaming:P

Can I still apply? Since I have been using several distro's for ages, so it's not quite new to me.
I just want my name on the list :P

1 Like

yeah i call discrimination on this topic! am not allowed to do this! :(

Is anyone adding people to the list any more, I asked a few times to be added and no response.

1 Like

How do you sign up as a participant?

From what I read on earlier post you ask to be put on the list and someone who has permission to do so puts you on the list, the problem is they have to be following this post to get a notification of people wanting to be on the list.
That is what I have figured out, and I maybe wrong. Sorry not much help.

I'm going to ask an Admin I there's something that can be done. I'm not sure If I ever got on and I'm almost into my year... I think its a great post and useful for many.

@RissViss @Schyken @Miguel_Sensacion

The original post is a wiki post anyone should be able to edit it, let me know if you can't edit it to add yourself.

2 Likes

@Eden tried to edit post and cannot.

If no one gets you added I'll put you on the post in a couple of days when Im at a bigger screen again.

Thank you @Eden